D&D 5E Monsters for 5e Basic rules

caudor

Adventurer
Are monsters the 'secret sauce' of D&D 5? Is there some kind of underlying formula or is it more of an art form? Is there a conversion guide for using monster from old editions or perhaps even Pathfinder? Is there a way to 'fix' the playtest adventure's monsters to be more in line with PC math?

If I can use monsters (or adventures) from older editions, that would greatly increase the value of my collection (in my mind, at least).

Nebulous

Legend
Are monsters the 'secret sauce' of D&D 5? Is there some kind of underlying formula or is it more of an art form? Is there a conversion guide for using monster from old editions or perhaps even Pathfinder? Is there a way to 'fix' the playtest adventure's monsters to be more in line with PC math?

If I can use monsters (or adventures) from older editions, that would greatly increase the value of my collection (in my mind, at least).

I really don't know. I *hope* monsters are more of an art form, not a carefully calculated table of numbers, slots and check marks. There is no conversion guide as of yet that i've seen. One thing i do wonder about is that 4e monsters made a lot of strides in making them do different things in combat, and i wonder if 5e will take any cues from that.

Nebulous

Legend
please. Don't post confidential material here - plane sailing

I do love this Ice Devil, but i don't know how the final version will look.

Last edited by a moderator:

I really don't know. I *hope* monsters are more of an art form, not a carefully calculated table of numbers, slots and check marks. There is no conversion guide as of yet that i've seen. One thing i do wonder about is that 4e monsters made a lot of strides in making them do different things in combat, and i wonder if 5e will take any cues from that.

They've said there will be various ways to build monsters, including 3E and 4E-style, so hopefully they will do a good job there. Won't know until the DMG though! :(

francisca

I got dice older than you.
They've promised that there will be.
That's great! Thanks for that info.

The playtest packet had dozens and dozens of monsters, not sure though how much the fiddly bits will change, AC and damage and hp and such. Still, good place to start.

In the little I've been able to compare (the Ogre and Ochre Jelly), there is quite a bit of difference.

You can also take a look a Frog God's free 5e adventure http://froggodgames.com/5th-edition which includes a variety of creatures.

Yeah, got it last night. But I appreciate letting me know, just the same.

I *hope* monsters are more of an art form, not a carefully calculated table of numbers, slots and check marks.

I agree, whole-heartedly.

Stormonu

Legend
Comparing the last playtest to my D&D books, I'm tempted just to use my 2E Monstrous Compendium for 5E monsters - statistically, they're pretty close, with better AC's.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Or just whip up your own based on previous editions, the Starter set (if you already have it [Canada]), past playtests, or any other info leaked thus far. So as...

HOAR FOX
Small beast, unaligned
----DEFENSE----
Armor Class 12
Hit Points 13 (3d6+3)
Speed 40 ft.
----STATISTICS----
Str 8 (–1) Dex 15 (+2) Con 12 (+1)
Int 2 (–4) Wis 12 (+1) Cha 6 (–2)
Damage Immunities cold
Damage Vulnerabilities fire
Senses darkvision 50 ft., passive Perception 11
Languages
Challenge 1/4 (50 xp)

----TRAITS----
Keen Senses A hoar fox has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks.
Pack Tactics The hoar fox gains a cumulative +1 bonus to attack rolls, to a maximum of +5, for each friendly creature that is within 5 feet of its target.
Stealthy The hoar fox has advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks in snowy environments.

----ACTIONS----
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage.
Icy Breath (Recharge 5-6). The hoar fox breathes an icy blast in a 30-foot cone. Each creature in the cone must make a DC 12 Constitution save, taking 7 (2d6) cold damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful save.

Remove ads