D&D 5E Monsters: Greek or D&D

Waller

Legend
When somebody says "Chimera" to you, do you think of WotC's version of a chimera, or the Greek legend?

WotC (MM): "Chimeras were created after mortals summoned Demogorgon to the world. The Prince of Demons, unimpressed with the creatures that surrounded it, transformed them into horrific, multi-headed monstrosities. This act gave rise to the first chimeras."

Greek (Wikipedia): "The Chimera, according to Greek mythology, was a monstrous fire-breathing hybrid creature of Lycia in Asia Minor, composed of the parts of more than one animal. It is usually depicted as a lion, with the head of a goat protruding from its back, and a tail that might end with a snake's head. It was one of the offspring of Typhon and Echidna and a sibling of such monsters as Cerberus and the Lernaean Hydra."

Other examples include Gorgon (do you think Medusa, or iron-bull), and Golem (do you think of the Jewish myth?), and many more?

For me - Chimera I thnk the Greek version (Demogorgon, WTH?), Gorgon I think the WotC version even though I know technically Medusa is a Gorgon, Golem I definitely think the WotC version, even though the Jewish version was a part of my education.

The D&D version, but only because it (and modern variations of it) come up much much more often than the Greek versions.

Its like Druids. I automatically assume someone is talking about fantasy Druids and not real Druids, until they tell me otherwise.

I do think of the gorgon sisters instead of a huffy bull. I dont think the huffy bull ever really caught on.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
My earliest memory of ‘fantasy art’ was a picture of Belepheron battling the Chimaera (while riding Pegasus) in a Colliers Book of Myth and as such Chimaera and Pegasus are both strongly tied to Greek Myth for me.

My image of Medusa is the snake tailed version from Clash of the Titans but I actually tie the word Gorgon to the Iron Bull (a medieval version of Catelopas).

Anyway I read lots of Greek, Norse and Celtic myth before I got in to DnD and so I associate the relevant monsters with myths. Though things like Kobold (rat-dogs), Hyena Gnolls, Pig-faced Orcs and Bullywugs I’d put more on the D&D end.

My idea of Gnomes is hugely influenced by Smurfs and the Wil Huygens book And Sahuagin owe their look to the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Strangely enough Demogorgon was probably a 4th Century spelling mistake arising when the Greek word Demiurge (dēmiourgón) was translated into Latin demogorgona. Later Medieval writers picked up on the latin form to create a new Demon Lord. Of course the image of Demogrogon as a tentacled giant monkey is pure D&D

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I was into Greek myths (and other mythoi) before I was introduced to D&D, so my first though always go with the original.

Stormonu

Legend
I got mad the first time I watched Fantastic Beasts because the creatures weren't "D&Dish". So, I'd have to go with the D&D version of just about everything over the original myths. The game is just too ingrained in my brain, I guess.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
I dont think the huffy bull ever really caught on.
I don't know where the source for the Catobeplus being split into the Catobeplus and the Gorgon (because, that's just what it is) came from, but it pre-dates D&D and there are other sources where its a thing.

Its just, Medusa as a Gorgon out-eclipsed it in turn

Anywho I'm a myth person, except when interesting things are done with the myth in other places

Last edited:

ccs

41st lv DM
When somebody says "Chimera" to you, do you think of WotC's version of a chimera, or the Greek legend?
The creature out of Greek myth.
And, simultaneously,
a sci-fi tracked infantry transport from the 40k game - based upon the real world Soviet BMP series of AFVs....

WotC (MM): "Chimeras were created after mortals summoned Demogorgon to the world. The Prince of Demons, unimpressed with the creatures that surrounded it, transformed them into horrific, multi-headed monstrosities. This act gave rise to the first chimeras."
Yeah, that doesn't even exist in my head. In fact, even though I've used numerous chimera over the years in 5e alone? I've never once read this. Or whatever their text is in the 5e MM if this isn't it.

Other examples include Gorgon (do you think Medusa, or iron-bull), and Golem (do you think of the Jewish myth?), and many more?
Gorgon = D&D iron bull.
But that's because as a kid, when I came across this entry in the 1e MM, I already knew Medusa was a gorgon & I knew she was not a poison gas spewing iron bull. Sometimes a human woman with snake hair, sometimes a snake body with human woman torso & snake hair. But definitely not a bull.
So when I hear Gorgon? The 1st thought is of the D&D MM picture followed by "What was Gygax thinking?" Followed immediately by a red X over that picture & an arrow pointing to a Medusa....

Golem = D&D 1st.
1e MM to be precise. This is because although I was vaguely aware of the Jewish myth as a 10 or 11 year old, the D&D version was my 1st real exposure to the thing. And I found it funny that they pretty much made the Frankenstein Monster the default Flesh Golem example.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases