D&D 5E Monsters of the Multiverse Releases a Day Early

Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse is now available to buy, a day earlier than scheduled.

Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse is now available to buy, a day earlier than scheduled. While it releases most places tomorrow, you can grab it from D&D Beyond today.

981ED60C-C0AF-41EC-9791-E2F4A3682384.jpeg

R_J_K75

Legend
Is this book a compilation of monsters that originally appeared in VGtM and MToF, or does it include stuff from the MM too? Im assuming that whatever the case its not every entry and if you wanted every monster for 5E, outside of those in adventures and campaign settings, you'd still need the MM, VGtM and MToF?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Is this book a compilation of monsters that originally appeared in VGtM and MToF, or does it include stuff from the MM too? Im assuming that whatever the case its not every entry and if you wanted every monster for 5E, outside of those in adventures and campaign settings, you'd still need the MM, VGtM and MToF?
It's just Volo's and Mordenkainen's combined, missing a handful of more questionable choices, Orcs primarily. This book plus the Monster Manual is most every Mosnter in the edition.

R_J_K75

Legend
It's just Volo's and Mordenkainen's combined, missing a handful of more questionable choices, Orcs primarily. This book plus the Monster Manual is most every Mosnter in the edition.
Thanks. I asked because I was browsing it and since its been awhile since I played or looked at those older books I couldnt remember exactly what was in them.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
I think you're trying too hard. It looks like a duergar spore druid. Lichen and mold on their clothe and a giant cockroach in a sling. It's a reeeeeeeeeal stretch to say it's something disney. (Also answers @grimslade )
I was mainly critiquing the use of the 'Disneyfying' angle. Duergar can be a lot of different things. It does sound out of context with the duergar monster entries. How much lore is included in MP:MotM? (not just duergar but overall)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Thanks. I asked because I was browsing it and since its been awhile since I played or looked at those older books I couldnt remember exactly what was in them.
Yeah, the primary audience was people who didn't have Xanathar's, Tasha's, Volo's, or Mordenkainen's yet, to give them an easy entry point. Lots of new art, too.
I was mainly critiquing the use of the 'Disneyfying' angle. Duergar can be a lot of different things. It does sound out of context with the duergar monster entries. How much lore is included in MP:MotM? (not just duergar but overall)
About the same as the Mobster Manual, per entry. Much of it is reworked in some way.

R_J_K75

Legend
Yeah, the primary audience was people who didn't have Xanathar's, Tasha's, Volo's, or Mordenkainen's yet, to give them an easy entry point. Lots of new art, too.
Overall I like what I saw of the changes. Compiling the player races is nice. Theres more than a few creatures in here I'll probably never use, but I could probably run a full campaign with this book alone if I wanted. One gripe, and this is one of the few times that I'd condone reprinting something, but I think they should have included stats for the small creatures that accompany the Ogre Howdah in the same entry. It would make it much easier to use. The art is OK, some of it is really great while others not so much IMO. I guess that can be said for all editions, but I haven't been a big fan of D&D art since 2E.

Remove ads

Remove ads