• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monsters that have gotten more cool/less cool over the years

frankthedm

First Post
Less cool
Drow: Magic items that evaporated in sunlight made for tough humaniod foes that were not lotto wins.
Gnolls; same CR as an orc barbarian. Barbarian will win 95% of the time.
Ghosts: 10-40 years of permanent aging meant PCs tried laying them to rest first.
Undead: No bonus HP per die means trouble at higher level play when splatbooks start letting PCs crit them.

Cooler:
Fiends no longer glass jawed
Improved grab and everthing with it.

On dragons with spells, mage armor and shield usually push a Dragons's AC from fighter will hit 50% of the time to fighter will hit 10% of the time. Dispel is REAL important

Last edited:

Testament

First Post
frankthedm said:
Undead: No bonus HP per die means trouble at higher level play when splatbooks start letting PCs crit them.

Which splatbook would that be? At any rate, whip out MM3 and Libris Mortis, and slap the deadies with Unholy Toughness, giving them their CHA mod as bonus HP per die.

S'mon said:
I can't even remember, but not the original 7 (Warlock of Firetop Mountain through Island of the Lizard King) as far as I know. They had Skill 5 Stamina 4, pretty pathetic.
Ah, that explains it. I didnt' read many more than the original 7. ;) If you remember which one it is, let me know. I might try to track down an old used copy from one of the amazon stores, or ebay or something.

Pants

First Post
More Cool:
The MM3.5 Fiends: Mainly for their upped power and their rocking illustrations. Finally a Pit Fiend that doesn't look fat or ridiculous. :)
Aboleths: The stuff from Lords of Madness is fantastic!
Humanoids with Class Levels
Dragons: Especially for the pictures and the undiluted power that they represent.
Slaad: Sorry, but while DiTerlizzi may have been really good with some things, his Slaad sucked... horribly. Beings of ultimate chaos are just similar looking giant frogs with different skin hues. Thanks, but no thanks...
Mind Flayers: Once again, the new illustrations redeem them from the crazy clown villainy of previous editions. :)
Chuul: Totally agree with Demi. Plus their history in Lords of Madness really won me over.
Kobolds: I like the reptilian look better...

Less Cool
Yugoloths: They got the shaft man...
Derro: I prefer the 2e versions
Elves: The subraces are getting a little old...

Never were Cool:
Modrons

Soel

First Post
Staffan said:
I don't think the ethergaunts have anywhere near Gith iconic-ness, and likely never will.

I was speaking in relation to the other creatures mentioned in Erik's blog, the Kaorti, and the Shadar-Kai, and to what Erik was shooting for, a race that, like the Githyanki of the old Fiend Folio, would stand out and have their own lasting niche.

Templetroll

Explorer
Joshua Dyal said:
Wonderfully weird? You mean a panther with extra legs and a few tentacles? That wasn't weird, that was corny.

And it's pelt? Huh? A monster is cool because you can make a rug out of it? That's not a monster, that's an animal. The emaciated, alien displacer beast; now that's a monster...

A displacement rug would be kinda entertaining but you make a cloak out of it and the cloak would be cooler for being made of a fine pelt instead of whatever chickenskin you get off that emaciated thingee you praise. You don't think panthers are cool?!? Panthers with extra legs, wicked tentacles and way cool ability to be a bit away from where they seem to be? that's frickin' awesome!

;)

Pants

First Post
Templetroll said:
A displacement rug would be kinda entertaining but you make a cloak out of it and the cloak would be cooler for being made of a fine pelt instead of whatever chickenskin you get off that emaciated thingee you praise. You don't think panthers are cool?!? Panthers with extra legs, wicked tentacles and way cool ability to be a bit away from where they seem to be? that's frickin' awesome!

;)
1) Panthers are mammals.
2) Panthers fight ALL the time!
3) The purpose of the panther is to flip out and kill people.

;)

Infernal Teddy

Explorer
More Cool:
Orcs. Orcs have always been THE number one race for me, and I was rejoycing in the streets when 3e showed me that my faith had been well given.

Kobolds are the same. I remember when I first used Kobolds in my very first 3e session, and they just tied the Barbarian up in knots, because while the player of the Barbarian had been killing stuff right and left with single blows from the axe, she couldn't roll better than a 2 against the damn Kobolds...

Less Cool:
Elves always have bored me senseless. And in my homebrew, the Drow got the stick centuries ago

Lizardfolk, but that could have something to do with the Kobolds...

Never was cool:
Most of the wierd stuff in the MM. And, while I love dragons, HOW MANY MORE TYPES DO WE NEED???

EDIT: Gith and Slaadi are way cool too!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads