• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monstrous Arcana - Sahuagin

I recently picked up Monstrous Arcana - Sea Devils (I think .. anyway, the sahuagin one) on eBay on a whim, and was unexpectedly impressed by it.

Should I pick up the trilogy of adventures that went with it? Are they worth getting?

The only monstrous arcana adventure I have is Eye of Pain (one of the Beholder ones) which I thought was pretty uninspired.

If it matters, I'd probably use the adventures in a 3.5 game.

DMH

First Post
I would say yes- each adds to the sahuagen and their deepsea rivals (the eel people mentioned in SD). The second one is centered around a monster I asked the people here to convert and is in the CC in 3.5- the apodalypse.

Oryan77

Adventurer
Oh I just finished running the 3rd adventure Sea of Blood. I don't know how the first 2 adventure were, but I thought Sea of Blood was really good. It had a lot of great little scenarios in it and some interesting locations.

I also bought the Monstrous Arcana book and enjoyed it a lot. It gave me a much better idea on how to roleplay the Sahuagin. I used the 'meeting' fluff (how Sahuagin react when meeting other Sahuagin for the first time) from the book and the players caught on real quick and seemed to enjoy themselves while they pretended to be Sahuagin.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Are these the ones that were made for 2E?

If so, then if you want an alternate opinion, they were generally pretty horribly written and the adventures were simplistic and dull.

senodam

First Post
I didn't buy any of the adventures, but I own (and love) all three of the MA books- Sea Devils, I, Tyrant and Illithiad. IMO they're excellent books which add a lot of flavour to the subject creatures.

Remove ads