• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monstrous Mating (and etc.)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Okay, now that I've got your attention...:)

Anybody actually ever considered how the critters in the MM work together to make a concievable ecology? Who eats what? Are their specializations? Which are the carnivores, which are the scavengers? Whicih are too wierd to fit into an ecology at all?

TELL ME! :)

I'm really interested in thinking of what kinds of ecological niches the creatures fill, which other creatures' positions have they taken, etc.

....I mean, in a land with Chimera and Dragons, is there really any room for a normal, run-of-the-mill Lion or Cheetah?

...Or would they survive better because big-game hunters go for dragons and chimera? :)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I tend to work 'Mundane' ecologies and add monsters as extras.

So for instance an arid mountain area might have a pride of Griffons as the major predator feeding on herds of horse, antelope, yak etc. A few solitary lions act as scavengers along with wolves, worgs and similar 'small' predators. These small predators otherwise hunt the small game such as rabbits, giant rats, giant lizards, giant spiders etc etc.

A solitary Dragon is then added but due to slow metabolisms in Dragons it might only be active three times per year at which time it eats say 100 bison - the rest of the time is spent hibernating and digesting. Luckily this is enough time for populations to recover

In fact the presence of giant game generally means that food is more abundant for predators (so a Dragon may only need 10 Giant dire Bison) thus explaining why monster predators don't wipe out whole ecosystems.

This does need to be balanced with greater fertility and abundance for plants. However as we know many plant 'monsters' exist and with the various druids and rangers running around 'cultivating nature' is not impossible to concieve a world with prodigious plant growth supporting vast herds of mundane and giant herbivores who feed powerful predators including the occasional Dragon....

Xarlen

First Post
A lot of monsters would add for food. Rust monsters, vermin, etc.

Given this, they're feeding the population, perhaps even in death, then they're contributing aswell. Besides, Dragons and Monster predators are like eating monsters aswell. Look at a Troll. A red or Green/black dragon could have *so* much food simply by biting and toasting the meat, then swallowing, and letting it grow back. It could eat everything but the leg, put the leg somewhere fortified, wait a few days and Tada, new giant sized snack.

White dragons probably prey on porpi as much as land animals like polar bears, elk, and so forth. Whale season is likely yum time for White dragons.

Besides, some monsters can simply prey on intelligent races.

Now, I have to wonder what Desert monsters eat...

And for that matter, how monsters survive in the Underdark. Where's the food producers in the underdark for your monsters?

Zappo

Explorer
Well, I think that there are a few factors that help common, "weak" predators that lack supernatural strength or powers survive. First of all, monsters often can and will destroy any natural predator with ease, but monsters aren't usually very numerous and many of the most powerful ones have exceptionally low birth rates (compared to most animals). Then, we must take into account intelligent species: adventurers kill monsters all the time, and druids help natural creatures, eliminate the monsters that become a threat to the ecosystem, and favor the growth of plant life which in turn supports more herbivores. Finally, some monsters which could kill a lion in a round are prey for the bigger ones. Overall, I think that normally lions and cheetas can survive well enough.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Normally in our world percentage is 80% prey 20% predators.

Almost all of prey animals are made up of 'herd' animals, in a fantasy world I would think this would also follow. Just that man, elf, dwarf, etc. would be in the prey group. :)

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
After three years of Biology I can say that almost all of the monsters in th MM couldn't exist without magic. All the insects would die off and the inverse square law would break all the dragon's backs in under a minute.

And giants! The caloric consumption to keep these large+ sized creatures alive is outstanding.

If a typcial human thorpe was considered to be "prey" then humans as a whole would come down with a very bad case of dead and wouldn't make it out of the stone age.

As for the thread title ... I now have the image of two aboleths trying to get it on. Thanks for nothing! ;)

Voadam

Legend
Xarlen said:
And for that matter, how monsters survive in the Underdark. Where's the food producers in the underdark for your monsters?

In the underdark use fast growing edible fungi that just needs a bit of water and decomposing matter, then you have the Rothe grazing on it and you have both your greens and some meat. At least that's how I see if for underdark cities unless they rely upon clerical create food spells.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Originally posted by BiggusGeekus
After three years of Biology I can say that almost all of the monsters in th MM couldn't exist without magic. All the insects would die off and the inverse square law would break all the dragon's backs in under a minute.

Ah yes but then your basis this on assumptions of earth-like physics too aren't you. Perhaps the Gravity of greyhawk is only half that of earth for instance.

Also I always liked the Dragon is a big ball of lighter-than-air gas hypothesis presented by Peter Dickenson in A Flight of Dagons. it was elegant

And giants! The caloric consumption to keep these large+ sized creatures alive is outstanding.

Not if they have VERY slow metabolisms and spend most of their time asleep.

Afterall in semi-rl many giants sleep so long that they gather rocks and plants and become mistaken for mountains.

I'd say a 12 foot giant who slept for 16 hours per day could get by on a single horse sized meal. (and being asleep would at least provide adventureres a better chance at slaying them) - the Legend might say it was wide awake and raging but perhaps it was really snoring

If a typcial human thorpe was considered to be "prey" then humans as a whole would come down with a very bad case of dead and wouldn't make it out of the stone age.

Well I don't think humanoid races should be considered food anymore than they were on earth. We know for a fact that most human groups practiced cannibalism at some point and yet as a species we still survive (although Nearderthals don't - perhaps our ancestors ATE them!!:()

The big thing with us sapient humanoids is we know how to use tools, hide in caves, build Dragon-proof fortresses and weild anti-monster magic in order to preserve our own lives.

On Earth we know that early anthropithicus types were prey but later Homo Sapians were most definately predators.
A few might be taken out by a opportunistic Smilodon but after that Smilodon and a few others beside got mobbed by a huge human hunting party out for revenge (and fur) All Smilodons (or Dragons) would soon learn that the soft-skins aren't a smart option afterall.

As for the thread title ... I now have the image of two aboleths trying to get it on. Thanks for nothing! ;)

Now that is horrible. I'd prefer to imagine that they don't mate per se perhaps the males simply release free swimming sperm which fertilise prelaid eegs... phew hope thats calm us all down:):p

Last edited:

el Voz

First Post
There comes a point were you have to ignore common sense. The ecology of monsters is one. To get that detailed leads to alot of other problems.

I know enough of biology to realize my head will swim if I try analzing a foods chain with monsters in it.

I just assume there is one and do not question it.

mmadsen

First Post
All the insects would die off and the inverse square law would break all the dragon's backs in under a minute.

How do you explain prehistoric flora and fauna then? A dragon would collapse upon itself, but an apatosaur (brontosaur) could walk around weighing 35 tons?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads