Monte Cook Games’ Next Kickstarter Is Ptolus (for 5E and Cypher)

Monte Cook Games’ February Kickstarter (they tend to operate on about two per year) is Monte Cook’s massive city setting Ptolus. It will be available for both D&D 5E and for their own Cypher System.

Monte Cook Games’ February Kickstarter (they tend to operate on about two per year) is Monte Cook’s massive city setting Ptolus. It will be available for both D&D 5E and for their own Cypher System.

The original was a nearly 700-page book which came out in 2006.

“The critically-acclaimed Ptolus: Monte Cook’s City by the Spire is a 672-page hardcover with additional physical and digital content and premium production values. It details the fantasy city of Ptolus, an adventurer’s haven built atop vast underground dungeons and adjacent to a massive, mysterious spire. The book is lavishly illustrated and contains scores of detailed maps, along with uncountable NPCs, creatures, locations, and items. The original printing sold out upon release, and is one of the most highly sought-after RPG titles on the collector’s market. It has since been available as a print-on-demand title, but in a two-book format that lacks premium features.

The new Ptolus will release in two versions: one for 5e, and another for the Cypher System. The book will follow the format of the original as closely as possible, and retain all of its premium design features. The Ptolus Kickstarter campaign launches in February.”

C2F6E07C-6CD1-4820-A85E-A395717B3A29.jpeg

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Interesting. I remember searching a few years ago for whether they planned to make a 5e version, and there was only terse statements that they had no intention of. I guess that they've decided that the profit-to-work ratio was too good to ignore!

I think the continued success of 5E has also made them realise that the profit-to-work ratio will be even better than it was a couple of years ago.

dalisprime

Explorer
Interesting. I remember searching a few years ago for whether they planned to make a 5e version, and there was only terse statements that they had no intention of. I guess that they've decided that the profit-to-work ratio was too good to ignore!

Makes me wonder how much of this will be simply a reprint of old material (art, lore) and how much is going to be written anew.

dalisprime

Explorer
Okay this is strange. No idea why my phone decided to split my post in two... don't see the delete option so feel free to remove this post.

Dahak

Explorer

Monte also said they were no plans to do a Cypher version, because he preferred to go forward, not look back. Never say never in business, though.

Remove ads

Remove ads