Monte Cook Games’ Next Kickstarter Is Ptolus (for 5E and Cypher)

Monte Cook Games’ February Kickstarter (they tend to operate on about two per year) is Monte Cook’s massive city setting Ptolus. It will be available for both D&D 5E and for their own Cypher System.
Monte Cook Games’ February Kickstarter (they tend to operate on about two per year) is Monte Cook’s massive city setting Ptolus. It will be available for both D&D 5E and for their own Cypher System.

The original was a nearly 700-page book which came out in 2006.

“The critically-acclaimed Ptolus: Monte Cook’s City by the Spire is a 672-page hardcover with additional physical and digital content and premium production values. It details the fantasy city of Ptolus, an adventurer’s haven built atop vast underground dungeons and adjacent to a massive, mysterious spire. The book is lavishly illustrated and contains scores of detailed maps, along with uncountable NPCs, creatures, locations, and items. The original printing sold out upon release, and is one of the most highly sought-after RPG titles on the collector’s market. It has since been available as a print-on-demand title, but in a two-book format that lacks premium features.

The new Ptolus will release in two versions: one for 5e, and another for the Cypher System. The book will follow the format of the original as closely as possible, and retain all of its premium design features. The Ptolus Kickstarter campaign launches in February.”

C2F6E07C-6CD1-4820-A85E-A395717B3A29.jpeg

gyor

Legend
I am expecting this myself. There was just so much stuff with the original Ptolus that it would be easily to separate some of it out into other tiers. Alternately, it would also work well as add-ons, for the people who don't want, say, Night of Dissolution or the Banewarrens.

Honestly I have no idea what is in Ptolus, a nearly 700 page book on a single city, what the heck do they put in it?

Deadshot

Explorer
I am all in for 5e version. Love the setting and had a great campaign for a few years with my group. Still have the same group so it will be fun to revisit it with 5e rules since we switched from 3.5/Pathfinder.

Honestly I have no idea what is in Ptolus, a nearly 700 page book on a single city, what the heck do they put in it?
Everything. Multiple districts. Races and classes. Plot lines out the rear. Sewer adventures. Dungeon adventures- delvers guild in fact.

And the cemetary with a druid grove in the middle, and of course the spire itself.

Alot.

gyor

Legend
Everything. Multiple districts. Races and classes. Plot lines out the rear. Sewer adventures. Dungeon adventures- delvers guild in fact.

And the cemetary with a druid grove in the middle, and of course the spire itself.

Alot.

For nearly 700 pages for one city that doesn't seem enough. Maybe I will search out a Table of Contents for Ptolus.

I actually found a extended ToC for it online. They go into a lot of detail about pretty much everything. I get the feeling that if I read the thing, I'd be like Captain Picard after he got a life time of someone elses memories beamed into his head.
Yes. I barely scratch the surface with what i listed. As you can see, its quite a bit

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The good news is that, even in the Big Book, Monte suggests that most campaigns will use a slice of it. It would be really hard to include the Dungeon stuff, the war between the thieves guild, the three-way Imperial schism and the supernatural stuff in one campaign. Each of those is practically a campaign in themselves.

Remove ads

Remove ads