Monte Cook Games’ Next Kickstarter Is Ptolus (for 5E and Cypher)

Monte Cook Games’ February Kickstarter (they tend to operate on about two per year) is Monte Cook’s massive city setting Ptolus. It will be available for both D&D 5E and for their own Cypher System.

Monte Cook Games’ February Kickstarter (they tend to operate on about two per year) is Monte Cook’s massive city setting Ptolus. It will be available for both D&D 5E and for their own Cypher System.

The original was a nearly 700-page book which came out in 2006.

“The critically-acclaimed Ptolus: Monte Cook’s City by the Spire is a 672-page hardcover with additional physical and digital content and premium production values. It details the fantasy city of Ptolus, an adventurer’s haven built atop vast underground dungeons and adjacent to a massive, mysterious spire. The book is lavishly illustrated and contains scores of detailed maps, along with uncountable NPCs, creatures, locations, and items. The original printing sold out upon release, and is one of the most highly sought-after RPG titles on the collector’s market. It has since been available as a print-on-demand title, but in a two-book format that lacks premium features.

The new Ptolus will release in two versions: one for 5e, and another for the Cypher System. The book will follow the format of the original as closely as possible, and retain all of its premium design features. The Ptolus Kickstarter campaign launches in February.”

C2F6E07C-6CD1-4820-A85E-A395717B3A29.jpeg

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
I'd love to buy this for 5e, as I have and love the 3e version, but it's a bit pricey for the option that I'd like. I wish there were a cheaper option for just the main book and 5 Player's Guide in print (with no PDFs).

Pledge $220 or more
HERO
OUTFIT YOUR GAME GROUP! You get Ptolus in print, for either 5e or the Cypher System (you’ll tell us which after the campaign), along with FIVE copies of the Ptolus Player’s Guide in print. You also get Ptolus in PDF for 5e, Cypher System, and the original 3e version, along with a number of related titles (27 products—over $250 in value!), delivered just a few weeks after this campaign ends.
Shipping is charged at the time we fulfill your reward. See Shipping on the main Kickstarter text.
INCLUDES:
  • Ptolus for your choice of 5e or the Cypher System in print
  • 5× Ptolus Player's Guide in print
  • Ptolus for 5e in PDF
  • Ptolus for the Cypher System in PDF
  • Ptolus for 3e in PDF delivered early
  • Collection of additional 3e Ptolus titles delivered early

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The current version of the Players Guide is available to download free from the Kickstarter page. I don't think it's worth paying additional money for at this point, as your players can just use the PDF instead.

As it is, you're going to have to hand over the full campaign setting to help people making characters if they're playing lizardfolk or Litorians or the like, making each of those Players Guides a very expensive item of medium-at-best value.

If they change direction and make the Players Guide more robust, just picking up a single copy is probably sufficient for that side of the screen.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I would love to have this, but I can't afford $150 and I don't want it in PDF.

Maybe I can convince one of our DMs to buy it instead :)

ruemere

Adventurer
How do you put d20 into Cypher system?

I feel that design premises, heroics, adventure design (encounters) work differently (and I am really uncomfortable about same stats / pools used for actions and damage in a fantasy system created for dungeon delving).

I played Torment, and really hated random fights eating up my stats regardless of whether I attacked or defended.

Remove ads

Remove ads