D&D 5E Monte Cook Games' PLANEBREAKER Kickstarter Launches

Monte Cook Games' latest Kickstarter features a cursed moon which crashes through the planes. A 5th Edition campaign, this includes a bestiary and planar character options, as well as a bunch of alternate planes in a 192-page hardcover. Additionally, the Kickstarter features miniatures and accessories.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
every Monte project that comes on Kickstarter people say things like this and every time... Monte delivers. There is a reason why the man is almost an industry unto himself and has so many successful kickstarters delivered on time and it is 25 years of high quality products with TSR, WOTC, White Wolf and his own publishing efforts. They arrive on time and are beautiful to look at. He offers innovation and new ideas. He has ideas that would come from the mind of Jack Kirby, Alan Moore, Grant Morrison and Neil Gaiman but for the RPG audience with the same sort of emphasis on storytelling and myth making that these creators emphasize. He delivers... every time.
Agree with all of this except whether he's up there with the greats in Comics. He definitely over-delivers what he promises in his own unique style. I'm not sure if in 25 years once we start teaching RPGs as art in universities if he's going to be a lynchpin of those classes like the comic book creators you list are in uni classes on the graphic novel art form. Although maybe that deserves it's own thread...

teitan

Legend
Agree with all of this except whether he's up there with the greats in Comics. He definitely over-delivers what he promises in his own unique style. I'm not sure if in 25 years once we start teaching RPGs as art in universities if he's going to be a lynchpin of those classes like the comic book creators you list are in uni classes on the graphic novel art form. Although maybe that deserves it's own thread...
I’ll agree to disagree there 😉 Monte is kind of the king of high concept and has done a better job of giving us Rpg as storytelling than the attempts by White Wolf for example where the system got in the way of the story. Cypher system for example fades into the background of Numenera whereas Storyteller shows it’s fangs and warts once any sort of resolution mechanic becomes necessary. Similarly with Shadowrun. Though I’ll say it will be more Monte Cook Games than Monte himself and a sustainable effort compared to some of the cooler Indy games of the 90s and 00s. I’d put Sandy Petersen on that list though. And Detwiler. Wolfgang Baur.

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
Monte is giving away a deluxe boxed set of Numenera to promote the Kickstarter

To be super clear, it's a deluxe slipcase set. But, yeah, a really beautiful product with a $240 price point, so well worth the minimal effort to enter the giveaway!
N2-Deluxe Slipcase-Front View.jpg

dave2008

Legend
Orcus? More Monte than Gygax.
Ok, now you have given me a reason to hate the man. There was always this itch on the back of my neck when it came to MC and I didn't know what it was. Now I know it must have been his Orcu lore (and maybe Tharizdun too). I can rest easy tonight now that this mystery has been solved. Thank you!

teitan

Legend
Ok, now you have given me a reason to hate the man. There was always this itch on the back of my neck when it came to MC and I didn't know what it was. Now I know it must have been his Orcu lore (and maybe Tharizdun too). I can rest easy tonight now that this mystery has been solved. Thank you!
🙄🙄🙄

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
We have agreed on so much in the past, and now you go and do this?.....sigh.

Remove ads

Remove ads