Monte Cook On Fumble Mechanics

Fumble mechanics have been part of the tabletop RPG experience for decades. Even where games don't have a fumble mechanic, many players house rule them in. A fumble is the opposite of a critical hit (or critical success) - its most common manifestation is a roll of 1 in a d20-based game (with a roll of 20 being the critical). Veteran game designer Monte Cook has some thoughts on fumble mechanics, and talks about them and how his Numenera RPG (and all of the Cypher System line) use an "intrusion" instead.

Fumble mechanics have been part of the tabletop RPG experience for decades. Even where games don't have a fumble mechanic, many players house rule them in. A fumble is the opposite of a critical hit (or critical success) - its most common manifestation is a roll of 1 in a d20-based game (with a roll of 20 being the critical). Veteran game designer Monte Cook has some thoughts on fumble mechanics, and talks about them and how his Numenera RPG (and all of the Cypher System line) use an "intrusion" instead.

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 18.08.30.png

It can be a divisive issue. If you're like me, you've experimented with fumble mechanics of various kinds over the years. When I was 12, I remember one character accidentally shooting a fellow character in the back of the head and killing him. Monte Cook's thoughts on the matter are that "we don’t want to run games that “punish” players for rolling bad. A GM intrusion isn’t meant to be “punishment”—it’s meant to make things more interesting. But a fumble, for many people, just seems like a moment for everyone to laugh at them, and that’s not always fun."

If you look around, you'll find dozens of fumble house rules for most games. They clearly provide a draw to those who like to tinker with their games. But many games deliberately do not include any such rule.

You can read the rest of Monte's article here. What are your thoughts on fumble mechanics?

Celebrim

Legend
This was answered by [MENTION=3400]billd91[/MENTION]. Your retort was that you can think of "GM intrusions" that don't increase the challenge either. To which my retort is, those don't sound like very good "GM intrusions".

Your no true Scotsman not withstanding, billd91 didn't answer me at all as he's going to have to explain how stabbing yourself or your neighbor in the foot is less of a complication than something else despite depleting more resources.

And second, well that doesn't sound like a very good challenge in the first place.

If you do contest something, resource depletion does in fact not only increase the challenge but in any system with character resources measures it. Maybe the extra challenge will not be much depending on how much resources are depleted, and maybe not enough to alter the ultimate outcome, but by a non-zero amount. Again, if it doesn't deplete resources to address the challenge then it is probably not a challenge, and likewise if it doesn't increase the resource depletion to deal with a complication it is probably not a complication.

As you yourself admit both now and earlier, if it doesn't deplete resources, it's not a good complication. You even talked about earlier how you meta-gamed to ensure resources would be stressed to a high degree. So you are wrong even under your own terms now and earlier when you tried to explain why polluted water was a bigger problem than an enemy guarding it.

As well as what [MENTION=3400]billd91[/MENTION] said - which was a relatively extreme case of a high level character facing a single orc - there is a more typical way in which resource depletion doesn't increase the challenge. Unless the PCs are expected to exhaust the bulk of their resources in each challenge/situation, then depleting resources needn't increase the degree of present challenge. Rather, it makes future challenges potentially more difficult.

Fine. Failing to find water in the desert, unless it results in the PC's immediate death, only depletes resources that potentially make future challenges more difficult. Resource depletion does increase the challenge, even on your own terms. Not that your terms are consistent.

This isn't typical in classic D&D:

D&D is complicated by the fact that doesn't use completely unified mechanics, hence one of the reasons I said "normally". Even in 3e where it tries to introduce a single underlying mechanic, it still has plenty of exceptions and special cases. For example, 3e climb checks for example have the possible outcomes - "Success", "Failure", and "Fumble" where success means you go up the wall, failure means you don't, and fumble means you failed by 5 or more and fell off the wall. Balance checks have a similar mechanic, and Use Magical Device takes it further and has multiple degrees of fumble depending on what you rolled and by how much you failed.

Reaction checks have an even more complicated series of degrees of success and degrees of failure depending on the number of degrees of favor the target goes up or down. Ordinary failure though were nothing happens is still possible.

Many skills don't have "fumble on a failure of 5 or more" category, and only have success/failure including pretty much every skill that lets you take 20.

The same range of complications are generally true of opposed checks like 'pick pockets' or sleight of hand. Pick pockets ultimately implements a range that includes: failure (you didn't get anything), fumble (you didn't get anything and someone noticed), success (you got something), and success with complications (you got something but you got spotted). But the ordinary failure is still you didn't accomplish what you set out to do.

AD&D doesn't have skills per se, but has the same issues of diverging mechanics. Nonetheless, for many obvious cases, the normal result of a failed 'bend bars/lift gates' check or something of the sort was 'the bar doesn't bend' or the 'gate isn't lifted'. There was no expectation that if you tried to bend the bar and failed, that the act of trying and failing would make things worse (unless some feature of the preexisting fiction made that true, whatever it was). If you failed a hearing check, it didn't make the monster come into being and in general if you searched for traps failing to find one didn't create one. (I've actually seen exceptions, where DMs in AD&D did cause traps to come into existence if you searched for one, but that's not the intention of the rules but the predictable results of 'no myth'.)

*Three failed hearing checks in a row require a 5 minute rest before another attempt can be made.

That mechanic for hearing checks isn't replicated across the system. In D&D some skills can fumble and others can't. How the skill fumbles and what the consequences are vary from case to case.

But one thing that hasn't varied is I never find you particularly insightful or interesting or helpful. So goodbye.

sheadunne

Explorer
Sure, but that's a new and different definition of both 'success' and 'failure' that you have just introduced. When I was defining success, I defined it as 'doing what you wanted to do'. Whether or not your intended action would ultimately make things more or less easy isn't related to whether or not you succeeded in your action. I'm pretty sure I can sustain that from examples from last night's play:

1) The party was in a fairly narrow canyon. Ahead they saw a spring with a herd of herbivorous dinosaurs grazing and drinking water. The party decided it would be easier to ferry the party over the herd using their one flying mount than to back track and try to find away around. This plan was implemented successfully, but it made the situation worse because the low flying predatory mount ended up panicing the herd back toward where the party was hiding. Also the flying mount scared off two small ambush predators (wood drakes) that had been hiding on the cliff top waiting suitable prey. No disasters occurred as the party had been wary and everything worked out in the long run, but the successful plan didn't make the scene immediately easier.

How did the herd get panicked? Was it a result of a failed roll or because "DM says so"? For me only the failed result of a roll would have led to that chain of events.

2) The party found a hut suspended in midair high above the canyon floor. They found themselves in a missile duel with the huts bow wielding inhabitants as part of a long running feud. The party hunter began climbing up a stone spire from which the hut was suspended in order to gain a vantage point where the parties enemies wouldn't have partial cover, and possible to gain access to the hut itself. While he was implementing this plan successfully, two other party members decided to implement a plan where they would bring the whole hut down by turning part of the stone spire into mud. They ultimately implemented this plan successfully, but now the hunter's successful plan of being on the spire was complicating the scene, leading to some hijinks while he tried to get back down the stone spire and avoid getting buried in the literally hundreds of cubic feet of mud that was sloughing off the spire.

Again, dice rolls?

So by "success" I only mean that the players proposal succeeded. Players may propose plans that get themselves into trouble, and even though their intention succeeds it won't necessarily make the scene easier. Likewise, there are times when failures to implement a plan actually work out better in the long run. As a DM and not a real god, I have no way of knowing exactly how the game is going to play out in the future, and thus don't trust myself to always accurate predict what things are going to make the scene come out more or less favorably. For example, bringing the hut down was a very clever plan, but because it was destructive it made finding treasure harder, leaving the PC's with less loot than they might have otherwise obtained. The very successful plan therefore in some sense complicated the scene.

I'm not sure where you're getting all this planning from. When I'm talking about success or failure, I'm talking about the results of dice rolled to determine success or failure. For instance if the character flying the mount rolled a successful flying roll, then they succeeded. End of story. If the player failed the roll, then complications emerge such as the herd getting spooked or something else depending on the fiction and the intent of the action. If no dice are rolled then it's completely arbitrary whether success or failure has happened and doesn't much matter to me since I don't game that way.

I agree that this is sometimes true. But during a fight with a tyrannosaur last night, that same hunter got a timely critical hit that might have saved the life of the party's sorcerer who at the time was about to be swallowed. The player certainly enjoyed and was satisfied by that conclusion. And while fumbles in my game rarely add to the drama directly, they do help create a visual mental record of the drama. The same to some extent is true of criticals, because they stand out in the mind's of the participants.

That's great. Not so much for me.

I'm not sure you can draw such a bright line in practice between what effects only you and what escalates the challenge. For example, if the party had tried to flee the tyrannosaurus, it's possible that an ally would have stumbled and fell. This was a personal failure, but if the rest of the party valued the ally enough to want to rescue him, the personal failure leads to a scene complication. And that sort of thing happens all the time in my game even though my game only has the concept of "fumbles as personal experiences that only impact the character directly" and no concept of making the scene more complex, with players that are the focus of unfriendly attention requiring the party to take steps to keep them alive as much as defeat their enemy and thus making the scene more complex and requiring special actions that wouldn't otherwise be undertaken, like bullrushing undead away from fallen allies to prevent the undead from making coup de grace attacks.

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I'm not talking about personal failure. I'm talking about the complication only affecting the character as a result of a fumble (in my game failure is failure, it doesn't matter if it's a 1 or not). Wicket made an attack roll, fumbled, and the sling wrapped around him and he fell down. Silly, but doesn't complicate the game in the slightest, except for Wicket, probably involving his next action in the scene. All your examples have nothing to do with what I'm talking about. They don't seem to be about fumbles at all, but rather dice roll failures that led to scene complications. For instance in my game, a failure in combat may result in wounds to the character, which might knock him unconscious. Or it might attract new enemies. Or it might start a fire because the dragon was defending himself. All these complicate the scene for everyone. The character dropping his sword leads to no such result. It's just silly.

The fact that my game only has the concept of what you call a fumble, and no mechanical implementation of what you call a failure, and yet frequently has fumbles escalate the challenge on the party as a whole suggests to me that your definition is flawed.

I haven't read anything you posted that disputed my definition in the slightest. You mention plans but haven't defined dice rolls that would indicate success or failure. I can only assume that dice are being rolled. In my games success means success and not, success but I'm going to complicate the scene because I want to. Failure complicates the scene, not success. Your examples seem to be the opposite of that. It's hard to tell since you didn't identify any points in which dice were rolled to determine success. Purely narrative complications (no dice are rolled) doesn't match my style of play.

A fumble, to use a classic example, of dropping one's weapon, doesn't complicate the scene, even if it endangers one character. It only demonstrates the incompetence of the character and for me, is silly. The same is true if a player gets a crit and slices off the head of the orc. Silly. Fumbles and criticals are defined by the difference from the normal circumstances of action that caused them, otherwise they're just a normal happening. I've never heard a critical narrated as "you stab him. he dies." It is most often described as an over-the-top death scene, which to me equals both silly and unnecessary. I have no problem with them, I'm just not interested in those narrations or the lack of drama they impose, for me at least. In my games, if the player succeeds in killing the orc, she can describe it any way she likes, including decapitating the orc, as long as it's genre appropriate and matches the feel of the game as decided by the table. I don't need criticals and fumbles to do what success and failure does just fine.

Hussar

Legend
Out of curiousity, what is essentially the difference between a fumble check causing a dragon to bomb the party and the spanner falling on my head while trying to fix the hyperdrive?

After all, failing to fix the hyperdrive or succeeding has nothing to do with HP. I could see something like a short causing me to get shocked - that's directly related to my check "Fix Hyperdrive". Why should I take damage from a completely separate source on a fumble? And, note, the tool falls on my head, not due to my failure to fix the hyperdrive, but, my success. So, I succeeded in my check - the Hyperdrive is fixed - but I still take damage? Or, I fumbled and still fixed the hyperdrive (so, why did I bother making the check in the first place?) but, take damage from a completely unrelated source?

How is that not dissociated from the fiction?

Celebrim

Legend
How did the herd get panicked? Was it a result of a failed roll or because "DM says so"? For me only the failed result of a roll would have led to that chain of events.

I made a will save on the herd based on the declared plan to fly at only 50' above the herd in a hippogriff. I rolled a '2'. The "DM says" in this case, that's a low enough roll that it's reasonable that the herd, which had been established in the fiction as wary and prone to stampede, did in fact do so. I then flipped a coin as to whether they would panic away from where the PC's were hiding or toward them. It came up toward them.

Again, dice rolls?

Again, dice rolls, although there was really no way of handling this situation but an ad hoc ruling as I hadn't planned for this case and wasn't about to break out my Statics text book and spend hours figuring out the exact design of the support structure. I'd been rolling the whole way, but by the fourth application of 'Soften Earth and Stone' by the levitating Shaman, I set a fairly high probability that the structure would fall, rolled the dice, and it did. Since I'm the sole authority on the % chance that the support system fails, that's only color of anything but DM fiat though. However, before the plan began, the Shaman made an intelligence check to see if they could figure out the best way to bring the hut down by weakening the stone spire and rolled a natural 20. It didn't seem reasonable that the plan that I then outlined (which seemed reasonable to me based on my IRL mechanical engineering) wouldn't work if enough resources were put into it.

I'm not sure where you're getting all this planning from. When I'm talking about success or failure, I'm talking about the results of dice rolled to determine success or failure.

I am to.

I consider the normal process of resolution to look like this:

1) The player announces their intention to do something doubtful (the "plan" or "proposition").
2) A fortune is decided on and chanced. The stakes are generally either the PC's plan works or it doesn't.
3) The DM narrates the results depending on whether the fortune was successful.
4) Return to step #1.

Now, not every game works exactly like that, and we can talk about how different (usually newer) games have varied that structure, but for the general case its no a bad outline. Notably in the above structure, success is only that the player's proposition worked. Success doesn't guarantee the situation in the scene got better or easier. Failure doesn't guarantee things got worse.

For instance if the character flying the mount rolled a successful flying roll, then they succeeded.

Flying in this case required no roll whatsoever. He can successfully fly in ordinary flight without having to make any rolls at all. End of story. Now, if he wants to undertake some aerial maneuvers, like a wing-over or a power dive or even something simple like a swoop maneuver, that might require a roll for the mount assisted by the rider's ride check. And had he announced a plan with special caution to avoid spooking the herd, I probably wouldn't have even rolled. But since the player's primary concern was only avoiding getting into the herds threat zone and the primary declared intention was to 'scout the other side', I decided to chance whether the herd was spooked. Now, if the party had tried to walk past the herd, then that probably would have been tested with move silently and if the player's succeeded then the plan succeeded, end of story. Or if the party had implemented a plan to try to provoke a stampede, that probably would have been automatically successful (like 'taking 0'), end of story. Well not end of story, but back to step #1.

That's great. Not so much for me.

Sure. And I can see the down side of fumbles and criticals as well. I don't insist that a system have them. If D&D had a bit less abstract combat, I'd probably think it would be much better off without them.

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I'm not talking about personal failure. I'm talking about the complication only affecting the character as a result of a fumble (in my game failure is failure, it doesn't matter if it's a 1 or not). Wicket made an attack roll, fumbled, and the sling wrapped around him and he fell down. Silly, but doesn't complicate the game in the slightest, except for Wicket, probably involving his next action in the scene. All your examples have nothing to do with what I'm talking about. They don't seem to be about fumbles at all, but rather dice roll failures that led to scene complications.

For instance in my game, a failure in combat may result in wounds to the character, which might knock him unconscious. Or it might attract new enemies. Or it might start a fire because the dragon was defending himself. All these complicate the scene for everyone. The character dropping his sword leads to no such result. It's just silly.

First, as long as we are talking 'not for me', that would be the last time I'd play at your table. I refuse to play in Bizarro world where the fiction is mutable to GM whim to that extent. In such world's, the players have no incentive to propose anything and in my experience it's all illusion of the worst sort.

Secondly, if failure in combat resulting in wounds to the character complicates the scene for everyone, then surely fumbles in combat resulting in wounds to the character complicate the scene for everyone. At the very minimum, if Wicket is an a D&D party, Wicket is losing actions the rest of the team is depending on to beat down the opponent quickly and conserve resources. But if Wicket's fumble results in Wicket being unable to adequately defend himself from attackers (say he's now stunned and prone), then this is surely a complication for everyone to at least the same extent that it would be if Wicket was wounded by a monster directly.

And thirdly, what you don't seem to fully grasp is that all the scenes I described involved SUCCESSFUL die roles that complicated the scene. No one was failing on their rolls. For that matter, many of the propositions that a player can make are not disputed. They have 0% chance of failure. They just happen because they are actions that are trivially easy for such formidable and skilled characters. To put it another way, I was just "saying Yes". The players were successfully implementing their plans. Yet the scene grew more complicated anyway simply as a result of the logical consequences of their successful actions. That's one of the several reasons your definition is not describing what is going on in my game.

A fumble, to use a classic example, of dropping one's weapon, doesn't complicate the scene, even if it endangers one character.

But surely to the same extent that being wounded can complicate the scene because it endangers the character, dropping one's weapon - say dropping one's magic bow over the side of a ship in the middle of the ocean while being attacked by a Sargasso spirit and a sea elf war party (something that actually happened and was an actual fumble) - complicates the scene as well.

It only demonstrates the incompetence of the character and for me, is silly. The same is true if a player gets a crit and slices off the head of the orc. Silly.

Ok. All I can say is my players enjoy occasionally doing extreme damage to their opponents, and don't seem to fear that occasionally their plans won't work out resulting in the appearance of incompetence for a moment.

I've never heard a critical narrated as "you stab him. he dies." It is most often described as an over-the-top death scene, which to me equals both silly and unnecessary.

Strange that you both recognize this is silly and unnecessary and yet criticize the mechanic and not the GM.

In my games, if the player succeeds in killing the orc, she can describe it any way she likes, including decapitating the orc, as long as it's genre appropriate and matches the feel of the game as decided by the table. I don't need criticals and fumbles to do what success and failure does just fine.

I keep seeing really narrow notions about what a critical or a fumble actually are that seem to be tied to very specific implementations. Far more 'orcs' have been decapitated by ordinary successes than by critical hits in my game.

Celebrim

Legend
Out of curiousity, what is essentially the difference between a fumble check causing a dragon to bomb the party and the spanner falling on my head while trying to fix the hyperdrive?

Believability?
One has cause and effect within the fiction and the other links cause and effect only through the metafiction?
One is probably absurd and certainly was intended to be and the other occurs in a beloved piece of heroic fiction?

After all, failing to fix the hyperdrive or succeeding has nothing to do with HP.

In siting examples from Star Wars, all I'm trying to suggest is that heroic fiction can contain heroes that fail - sometimes in a comic manner - and yet still be heroic. There seems to be the suggestion that you can't have 'silly things' and 'heroic fiction' at the same time. Yet most beloved fiction has moments of comedy and moments of drama.

I certainly wouldn't want to state that definitively this mechanic led to that situation in a Star Wars movie, since it wasn't produced by a game process.

But from my perspective the real fumble in this scenario is before the hydro-spanners fall on his head, back when on Hoth he's repairing the Falcon. The fumble is that Han thinks he fixed it, but actually hasn't. This mistaken belief is ultimately what leads to Han comically and frantically (but also tensely and with much audience excitement) trying to fix the Falcon while in a combat situation, leading the hydro-spanners landing on his head comically.

How is that not dissociated from the fiction?

The hydrospanner's didn't fall on Han's head because of his failing a check at that moment. The hydrospanner's fell on his head because the Falcon struck an asteroid, probably provoking something like a reflex save by the crew to avoid taking damage, and because Han was not strapped into a secure combat position he failed and the DM colored the failure as the hydrospanner's falling on his head because that was funny and appropriate to the myth the scene had established.

Keep in mind. I'm mostly running this process:

1) The player announces their intention to do something doubtful (the "plan" or "proposition").
2) A fortune is decided on and chanced. The stakes are generally either the PC's plan works or it doesn't.
3) The DM narrates the results depending on whether the fortune was successful.
4) Return to step #1.

I don't have an notion like, "Hydrospanners fall on your head as a result of a failed Repair check." or "Since a roll was failed, the scene should get more difficult."

sheadunne

Explorer
. . . Insightful post. . .

I wanted to reply in greater detail but alas by 5 year old is fighting me on bed time right now. Let me just say a few quick things before running off.

For me, there's a difference between fumble and failure based on the way I use failure in my games. In games like D&D, there is no consequence of failure, unless specific to the mechanic being used (such as falling when making a climb check). There's certainly nothing wrong with narrating failure to introduce complications in the game, but the game isn't really designed that way (except for the skill challenge mechanics in 4e, maybe). Fumble seems to be an add on mechanic designed to introduce complications into the game, primarily for a specific character who fails. I don't think I've seen a D&D tack on fumble chart that incorporated fumble effects that went beyond the immediate character (for example, when narrating the fumble of the archer, the GM describes the creature dodging his attack and tearing down the sails creating a complication for the entire party). The effect is primarily attached to a specific character. A secondary effect of dropping the bow might mean that now it's harder for the characters to win the fight, it's just doesn't seem more complicated. There aren't more monsters. The character is for all intensive purposes fine and I assume he has other resources to bare on the encounter. He's not wounded in any meaningful way like twisting an ankle or breaking a finger (and wouldn't be with the D&D hp mechanic which doesn't have complications associated with taking damage). It's not clear on whether he has another bow or other equipment to use. Everything seems fine if not a little silly that an accomplished archer (assuming he is), would drop his bow*. It just doesn't feel complicated in any meaningful way to me. No one else is complicated as a result of his failure. It's not more difficult for them to fight or do other things. The scene hasn't changed at all.

*I image a scene where Legolas is on top of the elephant shooting away, rolls a one and drops his bow. Gimli laughs and then rolls a one himself and gets stepped on by the elephant. haha

pemerton

Legend
AD&D doesn't have skills per se, but has the same issues of diverging mechanics. Nonetheless, for many obvious cases, the normal result of a failed 'bend bars/lift gates' check or something of the sort was 'the bar doesn't bend' or the 'gate isn't lifted'.
Also, it cannot be attempted again. That matters in classic D&D, where retries are often permitted (the cost being ingame time, and hence wandering monster checks and torch depletion).

As you yourself admit both now and earlier, if it doesn't deplete resources, it's not a good complication.
What I actually said, and what you quoted, is that if it doesn't escalate the challenge then it's not a good "GM intrusion" (which, in post 246 upthread, a designer for that system has equated with "escalated challenge").

I can think of all sorts of complications that don't deplete resources. I even gave two actual play examples upthread: mine, in which the PCs were looking for a mace but instead found black arrows; and [MENTION=99817]chaochou[/MENTION]'s, in which the PC got put into the effigies that s/he had urged her followers to construct.

If you do contest something, resource depletion does in fact not only increase the challenge but in any system with character resources measures it.
This is not universally true. It's not even universally true for classic D&D play, where a challenge may be very great, may be overcome by clever play, and as a result no resource is depleted (". . . and we didn't even lose a hit point"). It's certainly not true in RPGs in which the characters (and hence players) have goals not defined in resource terms.

For instance, the challenge of dealing with the discovery of the black arrows may be very great - much greater than dealing with the fouled waterhole - although no resources are consumed in deciding how to respond to it.

You even talked about earlier how you meta-gamed to ensure resources would be stressed to a high degree. So you are wrong even under your own terms now and earlier when you tried to explain why polluted water was a bigger problem than an enemy guarding it.

<snip>

Failing to find water in the desert, unless it results in the PC's immediate death, only depletes resources that potentially make future challenges more difficult. Resource depletion does increase the challenge, even on your own terms. Not that your terms are consistent.
Finding the water polluted doesn't escalate the challenge. But it does deplete resources. I never said that it escalated the challenge; in fact, as I think I explained upthread it has quite a different pacing implication. Escalating the challenge by having a nemesis guard the waterhole would increase the playtime spent on something that was somewhat peripheral to the main action (of getting to the tower so the PCs could rest and recuperate, and so - at the metagame level - some backstory issues could be brought to the forefront and addressed).

Although the fouled waterhole doesn't escalate the challenge, it is a bigger problem for the PCs then escalating the challenge would be, because of the immediate pressure it puts on a vital resource (namely, remaining points of Forte). That feeds into the choice of it as a failure result: it causes some immediate stress (by putting pressure on a vital resource); but it takes up relatively little time at the table (because it doesn't complicate the challenge); and it seeds a future conflict (with the dark elf) that ties into various PC beliefs, including most immediately the elven ronin's commitment to always keeping the elven ways.

There is no generalisable relationship between "bigger problem" andl "more interesting complication" or "better for play". Judging these things is part of the role of the GM.

I never find you particularly insightful or interesting or helpful.
I'll ask again - how much experience do you have playing in and/or GMing "fail forward" or "no whiffing"-style systems? As I've said upthread, your insistence that "no whiffing" = "success with complications" = "partial success" = (it now seems) "resource depletion" suggests to me that you don't have a great deal of such experience. Because these different options all have different implications for pacing, for the way PCs are framed and engaged (in relation to and/or by reference to relevant flags), etc. You don't seem very sensitive to or interested in those differences, but they are pretty crucial in this sort of play.

pemerton

Legend
With respect to the hyperdrive being fixed and the spanner then falling on a PC's head, I can think of at least three ways this can happen in a RPG.

(1) The GM narrates it as mere colour but it has no mechanical effect or consequences. It's just a chance to have a laugh at that character's expense.

(2) In 4e, in the context of a skill challenge, the player has offered a healing surge in exchange for a +2 to the check. The check succeeds, the GM narrates the hyperdrive kicking in, and also narrates the tools falling on the PC's head - hence the loss of a surge.

(3) In a game that allows for advantages triggered by fictional positioning, the player says "I do it in a hurry - I don't even put away my tools - so the drive can kick in and we can escape", and rolls with a bonus. On a success, the tools haven't been put away and so the GM is free to narrate the consequence that they fall onto the character's head. If the check failed and the ship is boarded by enemies, maybe the tools - not having been put away - get blown up by stray blaster fire in the ensuing firefight.

There are probably plenty of other ways too that this could happen.

Remove ads

Remove ads