Monte Cook On Fumble Mechanics

Fumble mechanics have been part of the tabletop RPG experience for decades. Even where games don't have a fumble mechanic, many players house rule them in. A fumble is the opposite of a critical hit (or critical success) - its most common manifestation is a roll of 1 in a d20-based game (with a roll of 20 being the critical). Veteran game designer Monte Cook has some thoughts on fumble mechanics, and talks about them and how his Numenera RPG (and all of the Cypher System line) use an "intrusion" instead.

Fumble mechanics have been part of the tabletop RPG experience for decades. Even where games don't have a fumble mechanic, many players house rule them in. A fumble is the opposite of a critical hit (or critical success) - its most common manifestation is a roll of 1 in a d20-based game (with a roll of 20 being the critical). Veteran game designer Monte Cook has some thoughts on fumble mechanics, and talks about them and how his Numenera RPG (and all of the Cypher System line) use an "intrusion" instead.

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 18.08.30.png

It can be a divisive issue. If you're like me, you've experimented with fumble mechanics of various kinds over the years. When I was 12, I remember one character accidentally shooting a fellow character in the back of the head and killing him. Monte Cook's thoughts on the matter are that "we don’t want to run games that “punish” players for rolling bad. A GM intrusion isn’t meant to be “punishment”—it’s meant to make things more interesting. But a fumble, for many people, just seems like a moment for everyone to laugh at them, and that’s not always fun."

If you look around, you'll find dozens of fumble house rules for most games. They clearly provide a draw to those who like to tinker with their games. But many games deliberately do not include any such rule.

You can read the rest of Monte's article here. What are your thoughts on fumble mechanics?

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=27160]Balesir[/MENTION], thanks for the reasoned response. I didn't know about Harn's "Eye of the Gods" rule.
[MENTION=5142]Aldarc[/MENTION], it would be great to hear your thoughts/perspective if you're able to post something.

pemerton

Legend
Don't do that, nowhere in this thread have I claimed that major screw-up style fumbles don't make for particularly good RPGing
My apologies. I took you to be saying that when you said that such a conception of fumbles is overly narrow.

The term "fumble" being (IMO, and apparently Charles Ryan's as well) incorrectly/too narrowly defined.
See, here, you seem to be agreeing with Monte Cook also - because you are just repeating what Charles Ryan has said is the whole point of the blog - that treating nat 1 as a major-screw-up is not a good approach, and is too narrow a conception of what might happen on a (so-called) "fumble".

just because Monte uses a term such as a "fumble" in a certain way, doesn't mean he is using it correctly (as shown by the different views in this very thread on what a fumble is)... As to what you quoted Charles Ryan posting...

<snip>

He actually seems to be saying that the definition of a fumble shouldn't be restricted to this narrow definition that many, including yourself are using in this thread... the same thing I've been saying for numerous posts now.
I'm having trouble following this.

You seem to be saying that Charles Ryan actually disagrees with Monte Cook. Whereas Charles Ryan presents his post as an explanation and defence of the blog.

As I read it, Monte has written a blog saying that a nat 1 shouldn't be a major-screw-up-style fumble. Charles Ryan has weighed in agreeing with him, saying that a nat 1 can be broader than that, including encompassing events that (in the fiction) are not causally related to the action that (at the table) had an outcome determined by rolling a d20 that came up 1.

The key issue in both Monte's blog and Charles Ryan's post is a question about game design and game play (what to do on a nat 1), not a question of semantics (about the best use of the word "fumble"). Clearly there can be multiple uses of the word "fumble", but I think it's very clear how Monte was using it, and this clear sense in which he was using it has been confirmed by Charles Ryan's post.

So, to focus on the key issue: do you think Monte Cook and Charles Ryan are right, or wrong, when they say that nat 1=major-screw-up is not a good rule?

The assertion that character driven fumbles are universally less fun or less enjoyable for all gamers.

<snip>

there is no reason that a GM Intrusion can't be connected to the fiction with causal/dependence on character actions... the whole point is that they are open ended enough that if a DM wants them connected to the fiction in a causal/dependent way can easily do so.
I think that Monte Cook's claim (and Charles Ryan's agreement) is probably about what is typically or generally enjoyable, rather than to what is universally fun and enjoyable.

As for the relationship between GM intrusions and imagined, ingame causation: I am relying on Monte Cook's and Charles Ryan's account of the system they design. I don't own it and don't play it. The posts I was engaging with were discussing GM intrusion as a device for introducing fictional events that are not, in the fiction, causally downstream of the PC's failure (eg following a missed bow shot, the arrival of reinforcements). This is also the sort of thing that the two designers were talking about. For instance, the blog says:

In a combat situation, a GM intrusion can range from the opposing creature gaining an additional chance to attack for a round, to reinforcements for the opposition showing up. It could mean that the character accidentally shoots a friend, or drops her weapon, or slips and falls, but those should be rare. Far more often, it should be some external circumstance that arises, and not something “wrong” that the character did.​

Personally, I think it's fairly clear why Monte Cook and Charles Ryan make this suggestion: if the idea is that a nat 1 result should, in some way, stand out from a typical failure, then something bigger and more distinctive has to happen on a nat 1. But if that is not going to be a major-screw-up (which the designers think it shouldn't always, or even typically, be) then what is it going to be? And the natural answer is that it something that, within the fiction, is causally independent of the PC's action that fails. (As an aside: I assume that by "character driven" you mean an event in the fiction that, in the fiction, is caused by the PC's failing at his/her action.)

If, in fact, there is an interesting and expansive set of fictional events that are:

(1) Distinctive from ordinary failure;
(2) Not major screw-ups;
(3) Able to be imagined, in the fiction, as caused by the PC's failed action;​

then Monte Cook is wrong (and so is Charles Ryan in agreeing with him). Do you think there is such a set of fictional events?

there is no reason that a GM Intrusion can't be connected to the fiction with causal/dependence on character actions... the whole point is that they are open ended enough that if a DM wants them connected to the fiction in a causal/dependent way can easily do so.
But if there really were no such reason, then why would Monte Cook write a blog saying that "Far more often, it should be some external circumstance that arises, and not something “wrong” that the character did"?

One possibility is that he misunderstands his own system and the possibilities inherent in it.

But what I think is more likely is that he is reasoning more-or-less along the lines I've just set out: that he wants a nat 1 to be a big event, but not a major screw-up, and that there are simply not enough infiction possibilities that satisfy both these desiderata while nevertheless being causally downstream of the failed character action.

Anyway, I think the question about whether Monte Cook and Charles Ryan are correct about this is much more interesting than arguing over what the canonical use of the word "fumble" should be.

Hussar

Legend
Just wanted to comment on a few things...

If you are using a fumble system where the only result is "drop your weapon" whenever a 1 is rolled... your fumble system sucks. How about your weapon breaks (redusing the damage it can cause),

Okay, random chance.

You stumble in the (muck, ice, mud, foliage, etc.) and find yourself in an awkward position for your next attack so take disadvantage on your next melee/spellcasting attack roll...

Character is incompetent.

Your opponent catches you off guard with a feint that you never saw coming, giving your opponent a +2 on his next attack... and so on.

Again, PC is incompetent.

These are all things that happen to skilled warriors in fiction and even skilled martial artist in real fights... and guess what... they do happen to them more often over their lifetime because they are fighting & training more often against more skilled opponents than the untrained peasant...

Which is somewhat besides the point though. Dropping your weapon happens too. It's not like it comes completely out of nowhere. And, isn't the point here to have a fumble mechanic that doesn't make the PC look incompetent? Of the three options you outlined, two of them highlight PC incompetence.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

I think you overstate the term "incompetent". Specifically, it seems for you that, "competent," means, "perfect."

Competent people still have things go wrong, and make mistakes.

Aldarc

Legend
I'll nominate what I think looks like a problem with the mechanic (and I'd be interested in [MENTION=5142]Aldarc[/MENTION]'s thoughts, based on experience with the system): why should GM intrusions be rationed by reference to natural 1s? How does that improve the game?
[MENTION=27160]Balesir[/MENTION], thanks for the reasoned response. I didn't know about Harn's "Eye of the Gods" rule.
[MENTION=5142]Aldarc[/MENTION], it would be great to hear your thoughts/perspective if you're able to post something.
Sure, and here's a little added background of the rules. In the Cypher System, the GM can engage GM Intrusions without the need for a player to roll a Natural 1. In these cases, the GM informs the player of the Intrusion and how that the intrusion affects them and then offers them 2 XP. The player can accept the Intrusion (and the 2 XP) or they can reject the Intrusion (and the 2 XP) by spending 1 XP. If they accept the Intrusion, they get the 2 XP, but the player must then reward one of those 2 XP to another player, as they see fit. The GM Guide recommends maybe 1-2 GM-introduced Intrusions per session.

Unlike above, if players roll a Natural 1, they do not receive the 2 XP for the Intrusion, though they can still spend 1 XP to re-roll their d20, effectively rejecting the GM Intrusion.

As to why this latter variety of GM Intrusions should "be rationed by reference to natural 1s," I suspect that attaching this rule to the die roll this is meant to provide a greater story randomness to the narrative. In some respects, it does let the player to unintentionally push the narrative in unexpected directions. And it also lets the GM push the story in player-triggered moments.

pemerton

Legend
In the Cypher System, the GM can engage GM Intrusions without the need for a player to roll a Natural 1. In these cases, the GM informs the player of the Intrusion and how that the intrusion affects them and then offers them 2 XP. The player can accept the Intrusion (and the 2 XP) or they can reject the Intrusion (and the 2 XP) by spending 1 XP.

<snip>

Unlike above, if players roll a Natural 1, they do not receive the 2 XP for the Intrusion, though they can still spend 1 XP to re-roll their d20, effectively rejecting the GM Intrusion.
Thanks, interesting. So the nat 1 doesn't so much empower the GM to introduce an "intrusion", as let the GM do so while depriving the players of the normal bonus.

Does the GM have a cap on XP to be handed out? - in which case the nat 1 is like a budget booster. (I'm thinking of the way plot points and Doom Pool dice are rationed in Marvel Heroic RP, if you know that system.)

If not, then one way of looking at it is that rolling a nat 1 deprives the players of 2 XP - ouch!, but it's not a fumble in the traditional sense.

Does the same advice - escalate the challenge, don't focus too much on major screw-ups as the outcome - apply to non-nat 1 intrusions?

Von Ether

Legend
Thanks, interesting. So the nat 1 doesn't so much empower the GM to introduce an "intrusion", as let the GM do so while depriving the players of the normal bonus.

Does the GM have a cap on XP to be handed out? - in which case the nat 1 is like a budget booster. (I'm thinking of the way plot points and Doom Pool dice are rationed in Marvel Heroic RP, if you know that system.)

If not, then one way of looking at it is that rolling a nat 1 deprives the players of 2 XP - ouch!, but it's not a fumble in the traditional sense.

Does the same advice - escalate the challenge, don't focus too much on major screw-ups as the outcome - apply to non-nat 1 intrusions?

Pretty much. Which is what I guess prompted the original essay.

But at this point, I think it's in a lot of gamers DNA to think that natural 1=crit fail.

In thinking it over, I'm debating to move the triggering number to exact target number. It might happen less often, but for most players it will be psychologically different when you introduce narrative/fail forward elements.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldarc

Legend
Pretty much. Which is what I guess prompted the original essay.

But at this point, I think it's in a lot of gamers DNA to think that natural 1=crit fail.

In thinking it over, I'm debating to move the triggering number to exact target number. It might happen less often, but for most players it will be psychologically different when you introduce introduce narrative/fail forward elements.
Interesting house rule. The other benefit to that would be that it makes the non-TN dice numbers more significant as opposed to filler numbers, which they can be. So, for example, you don't just want to roll a TN 12, but aim for a 13+.

Imaro

Legend
My apologies. I took you to be saying that when you said that such a conception of fumbles is overly narrow.

No worries, but no... I was saying that many posters in this thread had, IMO, a very narrow concept of what a "fumble" was... this was the part of Monte's essay that I was in agreement with.

See, here, you seem to be agreeing with Monte Cook also - because you are just repeating what Charles Ryan has said is the whole point of the blog - that treating nat 1 as a major-screw-up is not a good approach, and is too narrow a conception of what might happen on a (so-called) "fumble".

I disagree with your interpretation of what he is saying... that he's saying ALWAYS treating it as a major-screw-up (that is based on the character doing something wrong) is not a good approach. He readily admits that Monte in running his games uses both approaches... see the quotes below...

I don't want to put words in Monte's mouth, but let me start by addressing posters that think Monte is advocating that PCs never fail, or that GMs should be all touchy-feely about their players' poor hurt feelings. In the article, Monte says, "It could mean that the character accidentally shoots a friend, or drops her weapon, or slips and falls, but those should be rare." I think he means both parts: That it should be rare, but also that it could certainly be a result that happens.

See that is what I am advocating, that it still be a possible result while, and correct me if I'm wrong, you and @Aldarc seem to be arguing that Monte is arguing for eliminating those types of fumbles entirely from the Cypher system...

I'm having trouble following this.

You seem to be saying that Charles Ryan actually disagrees with Monte Cook. Whereas Charles Ryan presents his post as an explanation and defence of the blog.

Nope... I'm saying you are mis-stating what Charles Ryan and Monte Cook are actually advocating for, see my post above.

As I read it, Monte has written a blog saying that a nat 1 shouldn't be a major-screw-up-style fumble. Charles Ryan has weighed in agreeing with him, saying that a nat 1 can be broader than that, including encompassing events that (in the fiction) are not causally related to the action that (at the table) had an outcome determined by rolling a d20 that came up 1.

Again I read the article and Ryan's posts differently... they are stating that you shouldn't use that type of fumble all the time or even majority of the time but should mix it up... not claiming you shouldn't ever use fumbles and IMO this vibes with the Cypher systems

So, to focus on the key issue: do you think Monte Cook and Charles Ryan are right, or wrong, when they say that nat 1=major-screw-up is not a good rule?

That isn't what they are saying... they are saying over-using it, like nearly every technique, isn't a good idea. Charles Ryan states that Monte uses these types of fumbles in his own game and even gave examples earlier... This is what I am arguing against as it seems you and possibly @Aldarc are promoting this idea that these types of fumbles should be removed from a "good" game and that isn't what they are saying.

I think that Monte Cook's claim (and Charles Ryan's agreement) is probably about what is typically or generally enjoyable, rather than to what is universally fun and enjoyable.

I disagree again, but I think the disconnect is that you aren't correctly parsing what their stand is. I'm not arguing against Monte or Charles, I'm arguing against your interpretation of what they are saying.

As for the relationship between GM intrusions and imagined, ingame causation: I am relying on Monte Cook's and Charles Ryan's account of the system they design. I don't own it and don't play it. The posts I was engaging with were discussing GM intrusion as a device for introducing fictional events that are not, in the fiction, causally downstream of the PC's failure (eg following a missed bow shot, the arrival of reinforcements). This is also the sort of thing that the two designers were talking about. For instance, the blog says:

In a combat situation, a GM intrusion can range from the opposing creature gaining an additional chance to attack for a round, to reinforcements for the opposition showing up. It could mean that the character accidentally shoots a friend, or drops her weapon, or slips and falls, but those should be rare. Far more often, it should be some external circumstance that arises, and not something “wrong” that the character did.​

How is a creature gaining an additional chance to attack for a round not a candidate for ingame causation? Accidentally shooting a friend (this is exactly the type of "fumble" you're claiming they are saying should be excised) can also be connected back to in game causation?

Personally, I think it's fairly clear why Monte Cook and Charles Ryan make this suggestion: if the idea is that a nat 1 result should, in some way, stand out from a typical failure, then something bigger and more distinctive has to happen on a nat 1. But if that is not going to be a major-screw-up (which the designers think it shouldn't always, or even typically, be) then what is it going to be? And the natural answer is that it something that, within the fiction, is causally independent of the PC's action that fails. (As an aside: I assume that by "character driven" you mean an event in the fiction that, in the fiction, is caused by the PC's failing at his/her action.)

If, in fact, there is an interesting and expansive set of fictional events that are:
(1) Distinctive from ordinary failure;
(2) Not major screw-ups;
(3) Able to be imagined, in the fiction, as caused by the PC's failed action;​

then Monte Cook is wrong (and so is Charles Ryan in agreeing with him). Do you think there is such a set of fictional events?

Emphasis Mine: This is the first time I've seen you interpret what they are saying correctly...

Also I disagree with your assumption that a nat 1 is not supposed to be a major screw up... it's supposed to be a major screw up. I have cited in the rules where rolling a 1 is called out specifically as something bad happening. Don't confuse "a major screw up" with "a major screw up caused by/highlighting the ineptitude of the characters".

But if there really were no such reason, then why would Monte Cook write a blog saying that "Far more often, it should be some external circumstance that arises, and not something “wrong” that the character did"?

One possibility is that he misunderstands his own system and the possibilities inherent in it.

But what I think is more likely is that he is reasoning more-or-less along the lines I've just set out: that he wants a nat 1 to be a big event, but not a major screw-up, and that there are simply not enough infiction possibilities that satisfy both these desiderata while nevertheless being causally downstream of the failed character action.

Or he understands his system, realizes that his system is open ended and is just stating his own preferences for how he applies it??

Anyway, I think the question about whether Monte Cook and Charles Ryan are correct about this is much more interesting than arguing over what the canonical use of the word "fumble" should be.

I think without a common understanding of terms... discussion is made exponentially more difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:

Imaro

Legend
If you are using a fumble system where the only result is "drop your weapon" whenever a 1 is rolled... your fumble system sucks. How about your weapon breaks (redusing the damage it can cause)
Okay, random chance.

Ok...

You stumble in the (muck, ice, mud, foliage, etc.) and find yourself in an awkward position for your next attack so take disadvantage on your next melee/spellcasting attack roll...

Wait... so now environmental factors highlight character incompetence?

Your opponent catches you off guard with a feint that you never saw coming, giving your opponent a +2 on his next attack... and so on.

Is the PC incompetent? aren't feints, parries, etc. just a normal part of combat? The PC didn't look silly or over the top... so why exactly does this highlight incompetence?

Which is somewhat besides the point though. Dropping your weapon happens too. It's not like it comes completely out of nowhere. And, isn't the point here to have a fumble mechanic that doesn't make the PC look incompetent? Of the three options you outlined, two of them highlight PC incompetence.

I agree with [MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION] ... your threshold for a PC being incompetent seems to be extraordinarily high.

Remove ads

Remove ads