• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monte Cook reviews Kobold Quarterly

Tewligan

First Post
Ha - I quite liked the Mona years of Dragon, and I didn't even really like 3e! There was plenty of quality stuff during that time to snag and retrofit to other editions that I did enjoy. Nice job, sir!

Breakdaddy

First Post
Mona was at the helm for some of the best work that that Dungeon magazine ever produced, IMO. I never was a Dragon reader, but I assume that he applied the same measure of quality to that magazine as well. Kobold Quarterly looks interesting. I will have to look into it further.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
KQ is the most entertaining resource in gaming right now. I love the balance of material in the issues, even the fact that it covers more then one edition (and the last issue also had what was basically a CoC article).

As for "mona-era". For Dragon, there was a Golden Age that Can Never Be Touched (back when it was more like KQ, with regular articles by EGG). But for Mona era Dungeon, that was the golden age. I mean, I actually bought some of those issues.

ruemere

Adventurer
:confused::confused::confused:

What was even remotely nasty about Erik's post?

(Especially in comparison to what it was a response to.)
1. Smiley in my post? Check.
2. A professional of no small renown pointing to some semi-anonymous poster their trollishness? Check.
3. Me, asking in a roundabout way to ignore semi-anonymous poster? Check.

Did I express myself clearly this time?

Regards,
Ruemere

Jack99

Adventurer
The outline I was handed was king. I really can't imagine any way that the objectives I was given could have been satisfied without leaving the door open for an abomination like Pun Pun.

Now the sarrukh CR, that's another issue entirely, which had something to do with the relative newness of the rules at the time (remember that it was actually written about a year before it was released and the epic level rules were brand new at the time). Best advice is to change the CR to 12 and disallow players from even thinking about playing one. I think they make good villains when thus modified, so they succeed in that respect.

Just a friendly jab, nothing more. While Pun-Pun was indeed horrible, the book was overall good, and I am sure you did the best you could with the limits set by WotC...

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Just a friendly jab, nothing more. While Pun-Pun was indeed horrible, the book was overall good, and I am sure you did the best you could with the limits set by WotC...

Hey, no harm no foul, and working creatively on 3.5 projects with WotC was always a pleasure. I finally got the chance to check out the new FR campaign setting and was surprised at how much material I generated for Serpent Kingdoms actually made it in. I actually really like how they turned the sarrukh into a major baddie in FR.

As a side note, I was also surprised that they mentioned my Moonsea magical location, the Pillar of Fire, while not even writing up some of the cities. An odd choice, but not one I'm arguing with. ;)

The Mona Era

Well, I have to admit I quit reading Dragon decades ago, but Eric Mona made Dungeon something truly outstanding.

And my Enworld Icon ought to be old school enough for anyone!

When I get back stateside (I am in Quito, Ecuador at the moment) I intend to subscribe to KQ. And I hope it stays 3.X.

Ken

Remove ads