• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monte Cook's first Legends and Lore is up

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Sure - I see the complication of this judgement perfectly. What I don't get is, how does removing the quantification from one element of the problem help? I mean, it's a tradeoff of higher damage from attack one against a marginal improvement in mean Daze effect in attack 2 - the utility of which will rely on (among other things) how many and what capabilities exist in the rest of the party. How will saying one attack is "hard" to hit with while the other is "difficult" to hit with help?

For attacks and damage, it probably won't help. You'd need a different attack or damage system or both to make switching from labels to numbers useful, and neither of those things are likely to accomplish much in a system that uses AC and hit points.

See, with attacks and damage, I guess I agree with Abdul's later answer--it is complicated enough for what D&D is trying to model. So leave it alone. We already have three raw dimensions: attack, damage, and conditions. And then we have a wealth of gaming tradition that builds up around that (not least of all magic), that makes those three sufficient for an abstract system. (Note that the 4 defenses in 4E dont' add another dimension to attack, but they are a reasonable short and coherent way to enrich the attack dimension itself. We get the same effect in other aspects, though I can certainly sympathize with the thought that the conditions are too nitpicky and too long a list.)

It is difficult to say exactly what a better skill system would be like, which embodied that same richness. I can throw out ideas for examples, but not having the working system and play experience with it to back it up, my examples will necessarily be highly faulty. (Every time I do, I get the same treatment that, well, Mike and Montes' columns are getting--people focus on the examples instead of the idea they are trying to convey. :D)

But I do disagree with Abdul that D&D doesn't need a similar level of richness in its skills. Ideally, it need not be terribly complex. After all, there is nothing terribly complex about attacks, damage, and conditions (conceptually) either. (There is bloat, but this isn't the same thing as complexity.)

Here are some of the problems that are caused in the skill system by putting everything into one dimension, and having all inputs reduce down into the d20 roll. The skill challenge mitigates this somewhat, but it is a kludge. At heart, this is part of why skill challenges are hard to communicate:

1. To keep game handling, character generation, and range of results under control, extremely artifical boundaries must be placed on stacking. 3E failed in these boundaries somewhat, which is why derived skill values went berserk. 4E handled this problem by ... not solving the root cause, but by placing fairly strict boundaries. Such boundaries have unwanted side effects. (Your dog bites the mailman every morning. You solve this using a 6 foot logging chain and a giant tree. it solves the problem for the mailman, but isn't idea for youl.)

2. Success is binary. By itself, this isn't a huge problem. Attacks are binary after all. The problem is, that the success also relates to the strength of the effect and any special conditions applied. And anything else we want to model about the skill effort. The skill system tries to finesse this with floating difficulties and sleight of hand. How long does it take to do something? There are a few examples and suggestions, but this is mainly fiat.

3. The mechanics are skewed versus many player sensibilities of how things ought to work in the game world. Whether the d20 range being too wide, the early ability mods being too high, training meaning too much or too little--it is simply and somehow felt off. Again, not a problem in and of itself--someone will feel this way no matter what you do--but you can't fix this with circumstance bonuses or other mods. There aren't enough levers to play with to move the sensibility where you want it.

4. People get unhappy with the granularity. Again, people will be unhappy no matter what. Some people want extremely fine, others would be happy with it even coarser than 4E. Perhaps Dex skills effectively collapse into a Dex check. It is difficult to adjust granularity. You probably can't make a system that will satisfy the full range of preferences here. That's no reason not to build in a bit of movement on either side of where ever it is decided to center it.

Now, just as a rough example, and one that I don't advocate, you could do a straight parallel with combat. You've got:

Check: Same d20 roll as now, with mods--did I succeed or not. Success is not final, anymore than hitting the monster automatically kills it. But I get some success if I make the roll.

Effect: Analogous to damage, what did I get from that success. I was able to sneak that far, or pick that many tumblers, or recall 2 historical facts, or gain a major concession in the talks.

Special conditons: I temporarily change the circumstances of the check, which matters for what follows. Not only did I gain a concession, the baron was charmed by my introduction of my friend and took both of us for a tour. A sound I made while sneaking distracted a guard, given my friends a better shot.

You can't have rules for all that, at that level of detail. That way lies madness that would give pause to even the most rabid 3E simulation fans.:eek: I believe this is the type of complication that Abdul fears I advocate moving towards?

What you can have is a framework to manage that. Perhaps this is an extension of a better skill challenge framework, or perhaps it is something else. Labels on difficulty is one possible piece of such a framework.

What does an "expert" sneak task require? Well, I'll need to at least have a decent shot at making some expert checks (however that is accomplished). The range of results will need to be within my realm of reasonable capabilities. Shifting my journeyman rank up to expert by cleverness for the check, I might get lucky sneaking past one guard for a short distance. I probably won't get lucky sneaking past 8 guards between the front gate and the keep door, even in the darkness, unless I can find a way to shift the rank up to expert for the results. (I'll leave why player cleverness here would be different for those situations as an exercise for the reader. Surely that is obvious.) Special conditions? Those are for when I come up with something really odd that the DM judges out to be useful somehow, but don't necessarily change the raw situation that much. I didn't find a way to manage 8 guards, but bluffing the first one got him to take along two of his buddies.

Remember, please treat this as a poor example of the kind of things I mean could be explored.

What about when you just want a simple check, much like you do now? There is nothing special about the lock, and all you want to know is can the character pick it quickly? It's an expert lock, the character has a certain skill adjusted for whatever they say (if anything). They roll, and any possible effect is good enough. Special likely don't apply. Boom, you're done! If you want to play all your skill checks this way, or in a series like the current skill challenge? Go ahead. All you've got weighing you down compared to now is a simple label. Cross out expert on your sheet and put in a number. :angel:

Out of the four listed problem, probably the least obvious way in which they are helped by such a solution is the first one, boundaries. Consider elven boots in such a system. They could add to the check. Or they might instead give you a bonus rank on results. You can sneak in most of the same situations you always did, but now you can handle more complications. But even better for something as neat as elven boots is special conditions. You don't have to make it over-powered to feel worthwhile (you are completely silent and never roll, no matter what). Nor do you limit it to a +2 or +5 or +10 or whatever crude boundary limit sneaky magic is allowed to get. No, you get something like, "On a failure, the foes that perceive you must make an insight check versus the same DC, or mistake your tread for that of an animal." The orcs are looking for a deer or a bear now instead of an elf. What can you get out of that? Up to you!

Last edited:

Yeah, I'm just not sure where the labels really add value. There could be a sidebar or paragraph somewhere that introduced a concept of 'levels of success or failure' and ways to make failure and success more interesting. OTOH personally I just don't find SCs to be particularly kludgy. They can be tricky to use, but the way I see it those are situations that are tricky ANYWAY. Used in say the sneaking scenario you outline I would think a low complexity SC is exactly what the doctor ordered. Advantages can be used to allow for some unexpected results, and the character can employ some things like powers or other skills here and there to try to accomplish a task that simple stealth by itself might not. I think this actually fosters more of a narrative. When the character sees the extra guards he could try tossing a rock for instance, or try to use bluff. A 'step up' option would be a helpful addition to SCs there, so maybe boldly bluffing 3 guards gives extra success, but failing that ploy could easily sink the whole effort for instance.

In other words I would focus more on better explaining SCs and thinking about ways to allow them to be used in a bit more flexible ways with a bit more player control at the mechanical level, vs creating a different skill system when the existing one does its narrow little job reasonably well right now. That improves skills automatically because people will try to lean on them less.

As for bonus stacking. The solution exists within the system. They just need to classify more things as 'skill bonus' and thus reduce how many ways you can stack onto your total bonus for a skill. There are actually already a lot of ways you can 'decorate' a skill with more functions, skill powers and martial practices actually work reasonably well.

darkwing

First Post
There's nothing wrong with rolling dice to solve a problem. Happens every day in D&D.
Yes there is if it is too hard or too easy or means you have to sacrifice a skill that would be used in combat for some non combat challenge. These are all problems with the way skills are used in d&d for non-combat encounters. The easiest solution is to do away with the skill checks and go by player interaction.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Yeah, I'm just not sure where the labels really add value. There could be a sidebar or paragraph somewhere that introduced a concept of 'levels of success or failure' and ways to make failure and success more interesting.

If by some major quirk it was found that a direct analogy was the way to expand skill complexity, the labels probably woud drop by the wayside. We'd end up with something akin to level, same as monsters have a level. That being the case, might as well use the same range and meaning as with the monster levels, and thus use the number for the scale. Same as with monster guidelines, then, you'd get guidelines on the DCs, amount of success needed, and special conditions appropriate for that level.

However, I intuit that the combat analogy is only useful as an example. I think the three (or more) dimensions would need to be something else. We get the three dimensions in combat because those are natural for the D&D abstract system.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Yes there is if it is too hard or too easy or means you have to sacrifice a skill that would be used in combat for some non combat challenge. These are all problems with the way skills are used in d&d for non-combat encounters. The easiest solution is to do away with the skill checks and go by player interaction.

I do not understand the third part of your first sentence.

Please reiterate it.

Why is it bad to have a difficult skill DC that might not be made?

Why is it bad to have an easy skill DC that will often be made?

And quite frankly, I don't want to reward an eloquent / brilliant player nearly every time, nor prevent a reward to a player who cannot think his way out of a wet paper bag and cannot speak without confusing everyone. Without a random system, it becomes the total whim of the DM. meh. Where is the fun in that? I want a system where all players can sometimes succeed and all players can sometimes fail, regardless of their own personal roleplaying capabilities, but I don't want it to be totally DM whim based.

I think it should be a combination of rolls and player interaction. Dropping either of the two makes for a subpar solution.

Moderation in all things. Dropping the dice is bad. Dropping the player interaction is bad. Somewhere in between works much better than either extremist viewpoint. IMO.

Balesir

Adventurer
If by some major quirk it was found that a direct analogy was the way to expand skill complexity, the labels probably woud drop by the wayside. We'd end up with something akin to level, same as monsters have a level. That being the case, might as well use the same range and meaning as with the monster levels, and thus use the number for the scale. Same as with monster guidelines, then, you'd get guidelines on the DCs, amount of success needed, and special conditions appropriate for that level.
I think this already exists. Skill Challenges have a level and a complexity; in terms of XP, at least, a complexity 1 SC is equivalent to a monster of the same level. Complexity 2 is equivalent to an elite, complexity 5 to a Solo. Given that 4 successes are required for a complexity 1 SC, it follows that we could look on single skill rolls as "Minions" of the non-combat world - and assign them a level, accordingly.

However, I intuit that the combat analogy is only useful as an example. I think the three (or more) dimensions would need to be something else. We get the three dimensions in combat because those are natural for the D&D abstract system.
The combat analogy has its limitations, for sure, but I am in full agreement with you that the Skill Challenge area needs to be enriched and broadened to give a complexity and richness of experience that is closer to that which combat gives in 4E. Whether the added elements should be introduced in the actual skill rolls or in the challenge "environment" I'm not so sure. The "opposition" in a SC needs to be given some capacity to "fight back", I think, and some analogue to "terrain" would also be helpful. In general, some guidelines or rules for combining skill challenges and skill rolls into more cohesive "non-combat scenarios" - equivalent to a standard (non-Solo) combat encounter, but out of combat - would be really useful.

I think this already exists. Skill Challenges have a level and a complexity; in terms of XP, at least, a complexity 1 SC is equivalent to a monster of the same level. Complexity 2 is equivalent to an elite, complexity 5 to a Solo. Given that 4 successes are required for a complexity 1 SC, it follows that we could look on single skill rolls as "Minions" of the non-combat world - and assign them a level, accordingly.

Right. It is certainly odd that both in terms of skills and SCs that WotC has not only not clarified the 'level as challenge level' concept but actually muddied the waters in the RC. As far as I'm concerned skill checks have a level that identifies their degree of appropriateness for a particular level of character, exactly like monsters do. Easy/Medium/Hard DCs are really more of a convenience than anything else, giving you a rough analogy to minion/standard/elite (definitely not exact).

The combat analogy has its limitations, for sure, but I am in full agreement with you that the Skill Challenge area needs to be enriched and broadened to give a complexity and richness of experience that is closer to that which combat gives in 4E. Whether the added elements should be introduced in the actual skill rolls or in the challenge "environment" I'm not so sure. The "opposition" in a SC needs to be given some capacity to "fight back", I think, and some analogue to "terrain" would also be helpful. In general, some guidelines or rules for combining skill challenges and skill rolls into more cohesive "non-combat scenarios" - equivalent to a standard (non-Solo) combat encounter, but out of combat - would be really useful.

I think the problem with the combat analogy is that 'non-combat' is simply a vast area. Some SCs might reasonably come fairly close to the same kind of concepts, but in general I think that level of detailed mapping-out of an SC is actually counter-productive. Over time as I've perfected running them I've found I spend more and more of my time describing details of the situation and narrative interactions, and less and less on describing mechanics. What I would rather have from the mechanics are things like how does a player step up the challenge? These are useful mechanics. Trying to map out the SC to the degree needed to formalize advantages and disadvantages or create specific fixed types of tactics analogous to combat would IMHO be counter-productive. The tighter the DM nails an SC down the less he can think outside the box and the less scope there is for the SC to evolve in new and unexpected directions.

SCs really have improved in presentation a lot anyway. The RC version of advantages works pretty well in most cases.

Balesir

Adventurer
True, SCs are a large field - what I'm asking for is not any sort of prescriptive format or structure, necessarily, but a more extensive toolbox. And maybe some advice and examples for structure.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned

You do realize that not everyone can "interact" with D&D the same way. By putting most things in numbers you give everyone a fair chance to interact with what's going on. I enjoy role playing very much but I don't want a game that feels like non-combat situations are tacked on.

Essentially role playing can be added to anything. I could play "Operation" and add role playing on to it but I don't buy Operation for it's role playing, I buy it for the game it is.

To me D&D is a role playing game and it always will be a role playing game. I want combat and non-combat to be on equal footing.

Some people like that game of chance when they interact in a scenario. We roll dice for a reason because let's face it, when everything becomes hand-waved or the DM just stands there saying yes or no then what are we exactly paying Wizards of the Coast for?

darkwing

First Post
Some people like that game of chance when they interact in a scenario. We roll dice for a reason because let's face it, when everything becomes hand-waved or the DM just stands there saying yes or no then what are we exactly paying Wizards of the Coast for?
They've got the best combat rules of any RPG I've ever seen. That's what we pay them for.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads