Monte Cook's new Dungeonaday.com?

Glyfair

Explorer
The GSL prohibits online delivery methods of 4E like this, doesn't it? If so, he couldn't use the GSL to deliver this type of product. Thus, no 4E.
True or not, he certain could make arrangements for a special license from WotC. Apparently other companies have made special arrangements, and he has more of an inside track than many others.

That being said, Monte might not be interested in doing 4E (I haven't heard very much from him about the 4E system). Also, WotC might not be interested in this being out that at all (I suspect they don't care too much).

Erekose13

Explorer
What I imagine we'll see for 4e is a lot of community discussion within the dungeonaday site. At least that's what I'm planning. Its a whole community that you are getting into not just content every day from one of the best designers writing (again yays).

PS. I'm a Monte fan so read into this what you will.

PeelSeel2

Explorer
I'll get a subscription. I only play 4e, but it's the ideas I am going to plunder. Monty has always been creative, from USD to RM to now.

JoeGKushner

First Post
For the whole 'system light' thing?

In my experience with 4e, that's garbage.

The monsters scale differently. The characters cale differently. The encounters scale differently.

A lot of monsters that exist in 3e don't exist in 4e. A lot of materal in 4e is different in use than it is in 3e.

NOw I'm sure others are going to come in and pipe up that they've done numerous conversions and it was no problem.

I've done a few too. A huge PIA. No animated objects, no standard elementals, some core monsters missing, equipment types different (what do you mean there's no leather armor) so I'm speaking from my own experience on this.

I've got no problem with rules light systems but let's not confuse rules light with ease of portablity between systems eh?

00Machado

First Post
I feel that megadungeons are boring, both for player and GM. And I'd definitely not spend $7/month to subscribe to one.

In fariness, Monte points out that the dungeon isn't the only location that will comprise the adventure.

Here's a quote from Monte's posting
"But the adventure includes much more than just a dungeon. Dungeonaday.com also describes the surrounding area (filled with intriguing ruins), the nearby town of Brindenford (which is far more involved in the goings-on than it first appears), side trips to a mysterious island and an extradimensional tesseract, and forays into strange other planes. And that's just for starters. Seriously."

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
The monsters scale differently. The characters cale differently. The encounters scale differently.

Heck, even the maps scale differently. In my current D&D game, I'm pretty sure the GM is cribbing from a 3E adventure. All the encounter spaces seem tiny and cramped.

Could be a big factor for a service based around a dungeon.

But then again, as others have pointed out, Monte is a brilliant and creative designer. Maps can be adjusted; great ideas are harder to come by.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
The GSL prohibits online delivery methods of 4E like this, doesn't it? If so, he couldn't use the GSL to deliver this type of product. Thus, no 4E.
Or he could provide 4e stats without using the GSL. There are already several products that have done this.

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
I can't think of many (if any) bad things Monte has done with regard to adventures, in many cases his seems to be above and beyond the normal standard. As long as this is not like WLD, he will be getting my 7 dollars every month.

Dedekind

Explorer
$7 a month is a pretty big amount. I wonder how much it takes to run the whole thing?

Is the material retroactive? If you subscribe, do you get all the old material? I know pay news sites (like Wall Street Journal) have only limited archives available.

Remove ads