Moorcock's ELRIC comes to comics...

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
One of the biggest sites on the comic news circuit, Comics Newsarama, has news on an upcoming project...

Creators Michael Moorcock and Walter Simonson, who worked together a few years ago on the Michael Moorcock's Multiverse mini-series for DC, are reteaming to tell new adventures of Moorcock’s most famous creation, Elric. According to a recent post by Simonson in his own Simonson Sez AOL message folder, the creators just recently got the go ahead from DC Comics to do a four-issue Prestige Format Elric mini-series, which Simonson projects will likely be a 2003 release, as he and Moorcock both have outstanding commitments to complete. Simonson expects to begin the project in July.

"All I'll say for the moment is that these will be new stories, not adaptations of existing material, and will cover a part of Elric's life about which very little has been written to date," wrote Simonson. "It’ll explore a part of Elric's very early career when he was beginning to learn the sorcery that was the heritage of the rulers of Melniboné. Several of those characters who are bound tightly to Elric's story, his evil cousin, Yrykoon, his love, Cymoril, his father, Sadric, will appear in the series. And there will be revelations regarding the very early days of Melniboné itself (some pretty cool ones actually!)"

Elric has been adapted into several different comic book projects, from varied publishers like First, Marvel and Dark Horse.

elric.jpg

For comic newbies, 'prestige format' refers to a square-bound stiff-cover format, which tends to be about $5.95 for 48 glossy, high-quality pages in this day and age. That, and Walt Simonson's one of the greats -- with a long history of fantasy work for DC and Marvel...

Hi Amerginliath! :)

Great news!

I am a fan of Walt Simonsen (from his fantastic Thor run!)

I also have the Mike Mignola illustrated* Corum comics from about ten years ago.

*Even though he left half way through the run. :(

Remove ads