Moral Dilemma: Killing and Deaths in RPGs

The point I was making was psychological readiness of the player. It wasn't a character they made and it wasn't anything they were invested in. The exercise is to see if they handle the grown-up reality of character death. If not, they were not ready to sit at my grown-up table. And there were plenty of other games to run until they were. Come on folks... it's just a game.

S'mon

Legend
The point I was making was psychological readiness of the player. It wasn't a character they made and it wasn't anything they were invested in. The exercise is to see if they handle the grown-up reality of character death. If not, they were not ready to sit at my grown-up table. And there were plenty of other games to run until they were. Come on folks... it's just a game.

It felt like the lesson was "the GM will arbitrarily kill your character" rather than "your fate is in your own hands". I wouldn't want players to have that kind of fatalism, except maybe in PARANOIA.

Many Traveller players were hooked despite death in Character Gen...
But what you were reacting to makes me cringe... DBAD voided.
Back when CharGen was a manly endeavor. Especially if you were using the merc supplement (I think) and you wanted medals. I used to roll of PCs as a sort of solo game.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
So PCs never die in your campaigns?
That's a bit of a logical leap, but I do leave it up to the player. When a PC runs out of health or when something lethal happens to the character, I let the player know two things:
  • your character is done with this scene
  • you can suggest a consequence of the event, and death is one option

TheSword

Legend
I would say a single player dying 5 times is quite a lot in my experience.

In our main group of 4 players I would say we have had 5 player deaths between everybody in about 10 years. Most characters reach the end because the campaign ends, either with success or a new campaign.

Have you considered that maybe you just made things too difficult or stuck to the rules a bit too much. That’s not a criticism, just a question. Relaxing a strict stance on game balance and risk of death might be a much simpler solution that stopping gaming, or having to learn a different system.

• Allow PCs a Con score to bonus hp instead of con modifier at first level.
  • Signpost dangerous monsters more clearly.
  • Give monsters reasons to capture PCs and PCs opportunities to rescue their friends.
  • Make sure you provide scrolls and items that allow casting of spells like breath of life, raise dead, resurrection etc.

You don’t have to make every encounter combat based to be a challenge. My party in the last session played for 7 hours. They had 5 combat encounters that took up about 2 hours of play time. The rest was spent on roleplaying and exploration. In one of those fights one of the players died, but they had access to resurrection Magic so it was fine. It consumed a precious resource though.

That way combat is a part of the game and the PCs do get to enjoy kicking ass. Just in moderation.

Last edited:

Remove ads