D&D 5E Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes or Monsters of the Multiverse if I don't care about new PC races?

Greg K

Legend
Do you already own Volo's Guide to Monsters? If not, Monsters of the Multiverse is the easy choice because it gives you almost all the monsters from both Tome of Foes and Volo's.
No, I don't own Volo's. I was not interested in the races and only one or two monsters interested me. It was a no purchase for me. Mostly what I am interested in are stats for the Demon Princes and Rulers of the layers of Hell.

Greg K

Legend
Probably Monsters of the Multiverse is better bang for your buck, then: a full Monster Manual 2, basically, with the newer style (since Ravenloft) stat blocks for OneD&D.
Thanks. I was editing my post when you replied. I am mostly interested in the Demon Princes and rulers of the levels of Hell (plus hopefully Geryon). Is MoM still the better choice?

JEB

Legend
Thanks. I was editing my post when you replied. I am mostly interested in the Demon Princes and rulers of the levels of Hell (plus hopefully Geryon). Is MoM still the better choice?
Lore-wise, you get more information in Tome of Foes, especially on the rulers of Hell.

Statistics-wise, both have statblocks for the same creatures - both books have the Demon Princes and one ruler of Hell (Zariel). Both books also have the same set of unique devils, including Geryon.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Tome of Foes technically has more lore, but even then, the lore in both books is dwarfed by what you would find in a wiki.

If you are interested in the changes between those entries, I have a thread for you:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Depends on if you want the deep dive Lore: Multiverse just has Monster Manual style entries, but it has everybody, Tome of Foes has a big Lore chapter story Devils, and one for Demons, goes into the Blood War a bit. Not super in depth.

Greg K

Legend
Thanks everyone. I think i am going to put both books on my short to buy list of WOTC supplements (I just purchase the DMG ($27.97) and the PHB ($13.05) taking advantage of an Amazon Gift Card, Amazon sale, and additional buy 2 get 1 of them 50% off).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases