D&D 3E/3.5 More 3.5 Errata Fodder: How to Charge past your friends

DevoutlyApathetic

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: More 3.5 Errata Fodder: How to Charge past your friends

smetzger said:

I don't get it Overrun is a Standard Action that doesn't count against your actions this round?

Now that makes alot of sense. Why didn't they just say Overrun is a Free Action that can be done as part of a Charge?

The idea I had when I'd finished reading the section was that the 'Overrun as standard' was a nod towards allowing you to overrun a foe when you didn't have a charge target on the other side. So you could use it to run past somebody or even set up a flank is you really wanted to.

It is weird.

Ranger REG

Explorer
AFAIC, The last time someone charged through an ally's square ended killing his ally and missing his intended target. :p

Hey, anybody who charges is simply going to mow down anyone in front of his path unless he encounters an obstacle he cannot overcome. You could give the ally a chance to move but that would be out of her turn.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Ranger REG said:
AFAIC, The last time someone charged through an ally's square ended killing his ally and missing his intended target. :p

Hey, anybody who charges is simply going to mow down anyone in front of his path unless he encounters an obstacle he cannot overcome. You could give the ally a chance to move but that would be out of her turn.

Huh? I'm not sure what AFAIC means (is there an A missing?). And your second paragraph seems to be suggesting that you'd errata the Overrun action to disallow the opponent to avoid the overrunner; is this the house rule you're suggesting?

That would be a fine house rule, although it'd probably end up making some characters too powerful. But the problem is that currently, opponents have an easier time avoiding an overrunner than allies do.

Daniel

the Jester

Legend
Ayup, this is a weird one all right...

Maybe give attacks of opportunity against an opponent avoiding an overrun to allies of the overrunner threatening the opponent doing the avoiding? (In other words, Tordek's overrunning Devis, and Jozan, Tordek's buddy, is threatening Devis; Devis avoids Tordek's overrun at the cost of an AoO from Jozan) Seems like a reasonable way to solve the dilemma- that way there's a cost to avoid the overrun.

Norfleet

First Post
the Jester said:
Ayup, this is a weird one all right...

Maybe give attacks of opportunity against an opponent avoiding an overrun to allies of the overrunner threatening the opponent doing the avoiding? (In other words, Tordek's overrunning Devis, and Jozan, Tordek's buddy, is threatening Devis; Devis avoids Tordek's overrun at the cost of an AoO from Jozan) Seems like a reasonable way to solve the dilemma- that way there's a cost to avoid the overrun.
You entirely lost me. I'm not sure who's on what team now.

Norfleet

First Post
Li Shenron said:
avoiding your overrun: if it lets you pass past him, does he get an AoO for you moving through his threatened area? If this is so, why the hell an opponent should ever try to block an overrun?:confused:
Simple, you try to block an overrun if you don't want your opponent to pass you, perhaps because you are tanking for a weaker party member, such as a mage. If you don't care that your opponent wants to break through your line, then you don't try and block him, and he runs right on by.

As for more difficult-to-avoid overrunning, this is covered under "bull rush". The objective of an overrun is to bypass the overrunnee, not to ram him.

the Jester

Legend
Norfleet said:

You entirely lost me. I'm not sure who's on what team now.

LOL... let me try this one again. I think I horribly mangled my example. Let's say Tordek and Jozan are on the same team, and they're fighting a couple of orcs. One of the orcs (#1) is threatening Jozan. Tordek decides to charge the other orc (#2) but has to pass through Jozan's square. What I'm proposing is that Jozan, in avoiding Tordek (Tordek has to overrun Jozan to get through his square), triggers an AoO from orc #1.

I think I mixed things up terribly in the post above, sorry! :eek: ;)

Remove ads