• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E More 4e Monsters

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
I didn't want to hijack Keterys's thread with my own monsters, but he did inspire me to start making some, so I figured I'd give it a whirl. Feel free to critique, or just pop on in to watch the inevitable train wreck, as I'm sure I will mangle the 4e rules before we've even seen them! Without further delay, here's my first attempt: the hydromancer!

Hydromancer
Level 7 Artillery

Hydromancers are elementalists skilled at forming water into raw destructive power.

Medium humanoid XP ?
Initiative +5 Senses +6
HP 63 Bloodied 31
AC 18; Fortitude 17, Reflex 18, Will 19
Speed 6

:bmelee: Staff (standard; at will)
+6 vs. AC; 1d8+3 damage

:ranged: Hail Bullets (minor; at will)*Cold
Range 20/40; +10 vs AC; 1d6+3 Cold

:ranged: Scalding Blast (standard; at will) *Fire
Range 10; +9 vs Reflex; 2d6+3 Fire and ongoing 3 damage (save ends).
Special: Cannot be used in the same round as hail bullets.

:close: Hard Rain (standard; recharge :5: :6: )
Close Blast 5; +9 vs Reflex; 2d6+3 and targets are pushed back 2 squares and dazed (save ends).
Special: Cannot be used in the same round as hail bullets.

Liquid Form (minor; recharge :6: )
Gain insubstantial and +2 movement until the next turn.

Str 8 (+2) Dex 14 (+5) Wis 17 (+6)
Con 14 (+5) Int 15 (+5) Cha 18 (+7)

Hydromancer Tactics
Alone, a hydromancers keep their distance, pelting targets with 1-2 hail bullets per round while moving and using liquid form when necessary. In groups, most hydromancers will fill out the back ranks using their ranged abilities while one rushes in with liquid form and hard rain on as many foes as possible.

Last edited:

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Spear Dervish
Level 4 Skirmisher

Spear Dervishes are fast, devestating opponents with their chosen weapon.

Medium humanoid XP ?
Initiative +6 Senses +4
HP 53 Bloodied 26
AC 18; Fortitude 16, Reflex 18, Will 12
Speed 7
:melee: Point and Haft (standard; at will)*Weapon
Melee; +8 vs. AC; 1d8+2 and may make a Secondary Attack
Secondary Attack: +8 vs. AC; 1d6+2

Str 12 (+3) Dex 18 (+6) Wis 15 (+4)
Con 13 (+3) Int 10 (+2) Cha 11 (+2)

Last edited:

ZetaStriker

First Post
I agree deathdonut on both accounts, actually. Boiling water will burn you, not question, but it wont do any more lasting damage than a fire-based burn... the only difference between the two, in terms of damage capability, is the inability to light clothing aflame. Which should rule out lasting damage, as a bad burn just isn't enough to cause it.

cferejohn

First Post
ZetaStriker said:
I agree deathdonut on both accounts, actually. Boiling water will burn you, not question, but it wont do any more lasting damage than a fire-based burn... the only difference between the two, in terms of damage capability, is the inability to light clothing aflame. Which should rule out lasting damage, as a bad burn just isn't enough to cause it.

Unless you wanted to change the fluff to the substance being somehow sticky or like a steam cloud that hangs about until "waved away" (i.e. a save is made).

Hmm, now I'm going to have to make a "sugarmancer" who throws gobs of hot molten sugar at you. I can very quickly stick my fingertips into simmering/boiling water with no particular ill effect, but I tried that once with melted sugar in a pan and instantly got a 3rd degree burn on my finger tip (a little tiny 3rd degree burn, but a big nasty inconvenient blister on my right index finger nonetheless.

I'm sorry, what were we talking about?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I would say that hot water wetting your clothes down would continue to cook you unless you took it off or found a way to cool it down (at least for a few rounds, anyway)

On the subject: I like the monsters, they look great. They are really, really high in XP though. A 4th level non-elite monster like your spear-guy would be 175 xp and the Hydromancer would be 300 xp. Unless they're elites, and then it would be 350 and 600, but they'd have alot more HP.

Point-haft (an at-will) seems more powerful to me then Vaulting kick, (a recharge 5,6)

Fitz

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Fitz, thanks for the comment. I'll adjust the XP, which is definitely something I do not have a handle on. As for Point-and-Haft, I see your point. I'll have to take a closer look on tomorrow as its ungodly late right now, but I was trying to make a melee dude with some movement powers, as opposed to a movement dude with some nice melee powers. It may require some tweaking.

As for the scalding water issue... eh. It's abstract. It's not really Fire damage, per se. But how else does one represent a superheated jet of steam?

I think of it like this: burns hurt like hell. I mean, they're awful. That ongoing damage doesn't represent being caught on fire or anything like that; it's just the continued pain from the burns wearing you down. Let it overcome you, and you could pass out, go into shock, etc. Making your save represents being able to ignore that pain for the crucial 30 seconds it takes to kill the guy so he doesn't continue to sear you with scalding water.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Personally I'm with you on the scalding.

As far as the movement-melee thing, that's cool! I just thought I'd point it out. Monster making is an art, not a science, and it doesn't always have to balance in THAT way.

Fitz

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
If anything, I think this guy's a little weak. But I wanted to make a "controller's controller" of sorts; very debilitating against a party, and even more so paired with a second controller.

Orc Bloodspeaker
Level 2 Elite Controller (Leader)

Orc bloodspeakers tap into the rage and madness of their angry gods. They are the heart of any orc tribe, inspiring lesser creatures through terror and their own fierce will.

Medium humanoid XP ?
Initiative +6 Senses +4
HP 64 Bloodied 32
AC 16; Fortitude 16, Reflex 12, Will 18
Saves +2
Speed 6

:bmelee: Shortspear fetish (standard; at will)*Weapon
+6 vs AC; 1d6+1

:ranged: Cow the Weak (standard; at will)*Implement, Fear
Range 5; +4 vs Will; 1d4+1 and the target takes a -2 penalty to attacks and AC (save ends)

:ranged: Menacing Eye (standard; recharge :6: )*Implement, Fear
Range 5; +4 vs Will; 1d10+1 damage and the target may not make a saving throw on its next turn

Inspire Terror orc minions within 10 squares are so terrified of the orc bloodspeaker that they fight like cornered rats. They gain +1 to attacks and damage.

Incite Bloodrage (standard; bloodied only)
Burst 3; +4 vs. Will; 2d4+1 damage; orc allies within the burst can make two attacks as a standard action until the end of the encounter.

Str 13 (+3) Dex 14 (+3) Wis 13 (+2)
Con 16 (+4) Int 15 (+3) Cha 19 (+5)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads