More Charisma Than a Roomful of Nymphs (finished, link to full SH in last post)

Nice updates!

Did the characters role play the whole dancing/singing sequence? That would have been interesting.

Tuggle is easily the most advanced of the characters, and despite a loathing of gnomes, I'm kinda rooting for him.

Well haiiro this is pretty good so far. Keep it up!

Spider

thedangerranger

Hello all, Cupric's player here.
It's fun to re-read these journals.
It give a sense of how diverse the characters truly are, even though they are mostly charisma based (or at least high charisma).

My wife (Tuggles player) would be ecstatic at your praise spider.

If you are interested in any of the character I urge people to check out the backstory journals on the characters at 3d6.org.
There are currently backstories for Cupric and Tuggle.
Cupric's Journals
Tuggle's Journals

Actually haiiro does a stupendous job keeping the site (3d6.org) updated with pertinent info and interesting additions to the campaign. He wont pimp it in this thread, but I will :)

haiiro

First Post
Spider_Jerusalem said:
Did the characters role play the whole dancing/singing sequence? That would have been interesting.

Tuggle is easily the most advanced of the characters, and despite a loathing of gnomes, I'm kinda rooting for him.

They didn't RP the Follies' performance in terms of actually singing, dancing, etc., but reading the crowd, responding to the audience, and putting on a good show were all talked through. It was a fun element of this session.

They surprised me with the whole "troupe of traveling entertainers" cover story, and it's worked out very well in the campaign. That's one of my favorite aspects of running a game. :)

As for Tuggle, in what sense do you mean he's the most advanced of the PCs? Gnomes definitely seem to be a love 'em/hate 'em race, but I quite like them. I got my intro to gnomes from Dragonlance's Time of the Dragon boxed set, the first campaign setting I owned, and it kind of stuck with me.

To the loathing/delight of all, there are more gnomes to come. ;)

thedangerranger said:
If you are interested in any of the character I urge people to check out the backstory journals on the characters at 3d6.org.
There are currently backstories for Cupric and Tuggle.
Cupric's Journals
Tuggle's Journals

These journals are both quite good, and they'll give you an enjoyable look at Tuggle's and Cupric's backstories. They're one of the bonus XP activities I offer -- as someone put it, "shared investments in the fantasy" that net the players in-game rewards.

I sort of figured there wasn't going to be much crossover between people interested in this Story Hour and people interested in visiting the campaign website, so I haven't connected the two here.

thedangerranger

haiiro said:
They surprised me with the whole "troupe of traveling entertainers" cover story, and it's worked out very well in the campaign. That's one of my favorite aspects of running a game. :)

But it was the perfect cover for our troop of "bandit slaying jingle golemns" (actual quote from the very first session).
-tdr-

haiiro

First Post
Dracon Row

Arriving at Dracon Row, the Follies noticed that quite a few things were different about this ramshackle little district. Passing under the iron entry sign that bore the district's name, the road beneath their feet went from cobbles to sand. Before them stretched a maze of haphazard streets, all covered in sand -- piled into deep drifts in some places -- and flanked by stone and brick buildings. There were no torch brackets to be seen on any of the buildings, and there was at least one shovel by every doorway, as well as a prevalence of what looked to be water barrels.

Walking a short distance down the substantially quieter street, Cupric entered the first shop he came to -- a small sandstone building with a brass plaque over its door that read "Garyid's." While Cupric was finding out if the shopkeeper had heard of Thissiken, the rest of the party noticed that all of the businesses in Dracon Row used lettered signs and plaques, rather than the colorful flags so common elsewhere in the city. After coaxing a squeaky halfling, Garyid, out of the pint-sized door in the rear of his shop, Cupric was able to get precise directions to Thissiken's -- which turned out to be not too far down the street.

The other thing that turned out to be not too far down the street was a large pile of rubble strewn between two buildings, accompanied by a pall of dust and smoke that had lingered and spread down the road. Small groups of onlookers could be seen around the rubble, and as the party approached it was clear that this was the wreckage of a shop -- quite probably the one they had heard explode during the night.

Scampering about among the smashed stone, broken timbers, roofing tiles and other detritus was a frantic, sooty gnome. His wild white hair waving about, he was attempting to shore up the building on the far side of the blast site -- lifting scorched planks and beams and wedging them in against the wall.

The Follies picked their way through the rubble and offered their assistance, which the gnome gladly accepted. Still propping things against the wall, he started ordering the Follies around. Seeing that the building he was trying to shore up looked fine -- remarkably unharmed by the blast, actually -- and that his efforts were fairly pointless, they mostly tried to look busy. While trying to convince the gnome that he could stop propping things against the wall, one of the Follies asked if he knew Thissiken.

"I'm Thissiken!" said the gnome. "Why do you want to know? Who are you? What do you want?" He delivered all of this almost without punctuation, "Whydoyou wanttoknow? Whoareyou? What doyouwant?" Trying to calm him down, the Follies assured him that they were friends, and that they had been sent by Agrafion. At this, Thissiken insisted that they go into his shop.

The shop, which was adjacent to the blast site, somehow contrived to feel cramped despite the fact that it was actually a sizable building. The interior was dark and cool, lit only by some kind of magical globe off in one corner. There were two gnome-sized doors on the back wall, and a hodgepodge of shelves and seating in the main area. Also noticeable was a large bell hung from the ceiling, adjacent to which was a round trapdoor of some sort.

A series of rapid-fire introductions and explanations ensued. Thissiken flitted about, trying to explain things too quickly or not at all, and eventually disappeared into the back to prepare some tea. When he returned, he insisted that everyone partake -- "Havesometea!" -- and settled down somewhat once a few Follies had done so.

Tal and De'lea did much of the talking, patiently explaining to Thissiken why they were there, and trying to find out exactly what it was that he needed. What emerged was this: the shop next door belonged to a fellow drakesmith, Algaer, and Thissiken knew that it hadn't blown up by accident.

Sometimes little accidents happened in the dracotechnics trade, but this wasn't one of them. Last night, he was up late and noticed flickering flames -- "Strictlyforbidden!" -- outside his shop. He rang his shop's blast bell and jumped into his blockhole -- here he gestured at the circular trapdoor, and explained that every dracotechnics shop had a bell and a blockhole. The blockhole was a thick-walled stone tube, much like the top of a well (only set into the ground) intended to protect the drakesmith from an explosion.

Before he made it into his blockhole, he caught a glimpse of several figures in red cloaks (one of whom was extremely tall) running down the street carrying torches. They were heading away from Algaer's shop. He related that he had seen this same group twice in the last two tendays, and that he had sent the message to Agrafion after the second time. While explaining all of this, he kept telling the Follies that he feared for his life -- while appearing to mix up his facts at the same time. De'lea concluded that he was hiding something, while Tal and some of the other Follies thought he was telling the truth.

Wondering why the fact that strangers blew up someone else's shop made Thissiken think he was next, the party kept pressing him for details. In due course, he explained that it seemed like the cloaked group had been casing Algaer's shop -- "WhywouldI wanttocall theguards? Noguards comedownhere." -- and that at one point they came into his shop and started asking him all sorts of questions about paintings. Further probing into this topic revealed that Algaer had quite a few paintings, and that he had even shown them to Thissiken on occasion. Thissiken also recalled that Algaer had returned from a long trip just yesterday, and that he had been carrying something large and flat wrapped in cloth -- perhaps a painting?

Realizing that Algaer might still be in his shop -- possibly even trapped in his blockhole -- the party asked Thissiken if he'd looked for Algaer. He seemed surprised that they would ask this, and said that no one had looked for him.

haiiro

First Post
Clues in the Rubble

The Follies returned to the rubble pile and began searching around in earnest. While some tried to uncover the blockhole, others scanned the outlying areas for clues. They turned up several items of interest: a torch stub, which smelled strongly of smoke and ash and faintly of honeysuckle; shreds of canvas, some still bearing paint; and a tiny rune, crisply etched into one of the remnants of Alger's door. In addition, they also cleared the area over the blockhole -- but Algaer was not inside.

The blockhole was not empty, however, and Cupric used a bit of sleight-of-hand to retrieve a leather pouch that was half-covered by sand. While this was going on, Vicktor identified the symbol on the door, which looked as though it were etched by acid: it was a mark of death, often used by thieves and assassins.

Peeking into the pouch while screened from view by the other Follies, Cupric found several wooden tokens, a carved brass object and a letter:

Hail and Well Met, Lockmyre. My regrets, but I do not have the work you’re looking for. I deal in the fire of dragon’s breath, not in the flames of artists' brushes. Perhaps one of the many fine shops that line Avent Row will have what you seek. (Signed, Algaer of Dracon Row)

Returning to Thissiken's shop, the Follies asked exactly what he'd like them to do for him. What he wanted seemed fairly straightforward: find out who blew up Algaer's shop, and keep him (Thissiken) safe. In exchange, he would set them up with lodgings at Selgaunt's premiere inn, Pub, for two tendays. Yes, just "Pub" -- "Roomsarevery difficulttoget!" Also, he could provide them with information about the city.

Sensing that this might not sound attractive enough, he asked the Follies when they entered the city and at what time of day. When this was related to him, he said, "Then the guards on the gate would have been Skyclads and Blackcapes -- and I can tell you that for any time, any day." Pleased with this sample and with his offer, the Follies agreed to help Thissiken.

They gave him one of their feather tokens, which he had used before, and told him to use it to contact them in an emergency. Some considerable effort was spent making him understand exactly what was meant by "emergency" -- for example, people asking him questions about paintings would not be an emergency. They also arranged to meet him at Pub one hour after dark that same day, so that they could get their room keys and begin learning about the city from him. Still somewhat distraught, Thissiken insisted that they walk him back to his shop from Pub afterwards, and they agreed.

At this, Thissiken returned to the back of his shop and closed the small door behind him. Cupric took this opportunity to send a brief message to Agrafion, who had requested that they get in touch with him within ten days of reaching Selgaunt, or once they had made contact with Thissiken -- whichever came first.

The dreamborne accomplished this by opening the door and pretending to have lost the sleek raven that darted from his hands and streaked off into the sky. While he was doing this, Jaehn used detect magic to establish that the peculiar brass token -- a small, flat object on which was carved some sort of fire or wind emerging from a doorway -- radiated very faint conjuration magic.

After sharing what had been found in the rubble, and discussing some of what Thissiken had told them, the Follies arrived at a plan. Since Thissiken had mentioned that another drakesmith, Martooth Battlebrow, had also spent some time with Algaer, they wanted to try and track him down. As the wooden tokens in the pouch from Algaer's blockhole turned out to be tavern tokens for a dockside bar, the Copper Cup, that also seemed like a good place to visit. Lastly, Cupric needed to acquire an instrument -- and of course they had a performance at dusk at Farry's Port.

With all of this in mind, Tuggle's Follies stepped out of Thissiken's shop and prepared to do some detective work.

haiiro

First Post
Dockside Battle (Session 2)

This is the first post from our second session, which was called "Dockside Battle" (the first one was entitled "Tuggle's Follies").

Rooftop Lurkers

Since Thissiken had told them that the only other drakesmith who spent much time with Algaer was one Martooth Battlebrow, the Follies decided to make his shop their first stop. They were only a stone's throw from his place, so they entered the alley alongside Thissiken's in single file, headed for the next street over. Cupric, however, went the opposite direction -- intending to seek out a music district and obtain an instrument for himself. He had arranged to meet the rest of the Follies at midday at their second stop, the Copper Cup.

Emerging from the alleyway, Tal caught a glimpse of movement on the ramparted building adjacent to Martooth's ramshackle shop -- a brief flash of blue on the rooftop. As soon as Tal had whispered this news to the other Follies, they spread out across the street.

Narrowing her eyes, De'lea tried to detect evil on the rooftop, and found two faint auras. She communicated this to the party in a slightly louder voice than Tal, and in response Tuggle aimed a recent occupant at the same area. He learned the name and race of one of the beings on the roof -- Ursuro Mull, a tindali -- and informed the Follies that something up there wasn't human.

At this point, Vicktor had circled around behind Martooth's shop -- which sat askance to the road, jutting out from the ragged line of shops to either side of it. Finding the junction of Martooth's side wall and that of the adjacent shop to be very convenient, he began climbing up towards the ramparts. On the street, Tal had approached the door of the shop closest to Martooth's (the small metal sign over it read "Tarayn's") and knocked on it sharply, while Artemis had begun swiftly climbing the front of that same building. Jaehn, Tuggle and De'lea were all hanging back, waiting to react to what transpired above.

What happened next depended on the observer's viewpoint.

Artemis crested the ramparts and surveyed the scene: he took in a figure in faded blue robes with leather wrappings on his feet, hastening to the back of the rooftop. In the same heartbeat, he heard a faint sizzle off to his left, and a thin blue ray emerged from the shadowed corner, striking him in the shoulder.

This beam's effect was dramatic: Artemis went through several minutes of becoming very frightened in just under a second, broke out into a cold sweat and prepared to flee in a blind panic.

Seeing this from his vantage point on the street, Jaehn finished up a summoning spell -- and brought a celestial giant bee into existence on the roof, directly in front of Artemis. For Artemis, this didn't improve the situation -- now sheened in sweat, he let go of the rampart and began his drop into the street.

On the roof, observed by none of the Follies, the enormous bee flourished its glowing Stinger of Judgment and launched itself at the fleeing blue-robed figure. Without turning around, he nimbly sidestepped the bee's attempt to smite him and simultaneously drew a dagger from under his robes. Those below could hear only the rumbling buzz of the giant bee.

Down in the street, De'lea readied her bow and prepared to fire at the first hostile creature that showed itself on the roof above. Out of everyone's sight, Vicktor finished his brief ascent -- and came face-to-stinger with the bee. In his peripheral vision, he spotted a small floating object -- about the size of a grapefruit, with several stalks or tendrils protruding from it -- near the front of the rooftop.

Zipping through the air, this tiny creature let loose with a thin blue ray from one of its stalks, and this ray struck the bee. The bee's buzz went up several notches in volume, and it did an about face and headed straight for Vicktor. Vicktor leaped onto the roof and grappled the bee in one smooth motion, catching it around the base of one frantic wing and pinning it to his body, and roared, "I have the foul beast!"

Having landed safely in a drift of sand, Artemis had now fled at top speed down the nearest alley, disappearing from view almost before any of the Follies had noticed his passage. Seemingly unperturbed, Tal knocked again at the door of Tarayn's shop -- and when he received no response, tried the handle and found it open. He stepped into the shop's cool and quiet interior, taking in the blockhole, bell and shelves jam-packed with alchemical peculiarities, as well as two doors on the back wall. As one of the doors was barely thigh-high on him, Tal knocked on the larger door -- and heard glass break on the other side.

Last edited:

Hey haiiro, good work so far. Multiple perspectives was a nice touch.

Just so you know, I have a real soft spot for beholders - and illithids, as a matter of fact (crossing fingers they get involved at some point) - so this is pretty cool so far.

Oh yeah, the celestial bee. Nice work Jaehn. Low level summonings are just great! And I actually mean that. Why 'port in a dragon when a giant glowing horse or something can be done instead?

Yours, direct from the Underdark,
Spider.

Last edited:

thedangerranger

Poor, poor bee.
Summoned from its happy celestial honeycomb to be immeaditely zapped with a fear ray and then grappled into submission by a confused ally.
Some days it just doesn't pay to buzz out of the hive.
-tdr-

haiiro

First Post
Spider_Jerusalem said:
Just so you know, I have a real soft spot for beholders - and illithids, as a matter of fact (crossing fingers they get involved at some point) - so this is pretty cool so far.

My lips are sealed. ;)

Spider, I really appreciate your commentary and feedback -- it makes a big difference to get responses when writing a SH!

TDR, you're right about the bee, and I'd say with a few exceptions it generally doesn't pay to run/slither/fly/swim out of the nest/planar skies/ocean to answer Jaehn's summons... ;)

Remove ads