More DMing analysis from Lewis Pulsipher

pemerton

Legend
In the early numbers of White Dwarf Lewis Pulsipher (who posts on these boards as [MENTION=30518]lewpuls[/MENTION]) had a series of advice articles on playing D&D. I talked about one of these in an earlier thread. In this thread, I want to talk about the following passage (first published in White Dwarf 24, April 1981 - reprinted in Best of White Dwarf 2):

Basic D&D styles range from the "simulation" through "wargame" to "absurd" and finally "novel". As one moves along this continuum the DM's procedures become less rigorous. . . .

The simulationist wants to reflect reality as much as possible. A fight with a broadsword and chainmail ought to work just as it did in the Middle Ages. . . . These people have no place in D&D; D&D is solidly in the wargame camp, and simulationists should try Chivalry & Sorcery or make up their own games.

The "wargame" style is how D&D is designed to be played. . . . As much as possible, all that happens should be believable . . . if you read it in a fantasy novel. . . .

[T]he "absurd" style condones unbelievable occurences. . . . Monsters such as a "spelling bee" may appear, causing magic-users to foul up spells by misspelling them. This style is great for laughs when played occasionally . . . The average game tends to fall between wargame and absurd game.

Finally we have the "novel" style. . . . [T]he DM writes an oral novel in which the players are participating characters. This can be pretty bad, but the players don't mind because they're helping "write" it. In such games the DM may make up everything as he goes along.

As one passes along the continuum one finds that players are most passive in the novel style and most active in the wargame style. (The simulation style stresses realism so much that the characters tend to be hostage to the dice, the rules, and the DM.)​

I think this is pretty interesting stuff, especially considering it was written over 30 years ago!

I like the basic analysis of the styles. As someone who has GMed a lot in the "simulation" style (not C&S, nor my own game, but Rolemaster, which was published in 1982), I agree that there are challenges in preserving player agency in that sort of system. Rolemaster achieves this through three main devices - rather widespread magic, which allows the players to head off or reverse undesired but "realistic" outcomes; a skill system that makes it fairly easy for a player to get big numbers in the abilities s/he wants for his/her PC, thereby dominating over the vagaries of the dice in action resolution; and a rather complex combat system which makes player choices about how to allocate combat bonuses from round to round very important in determining how the declared actions actually resolve.

I also like the "novel" style, however (and have combined it with the "simulation" style in GMing RM, and the "wargame" style in GMing 4e). I think there are two main devices for preserving player agency in the "novel" style. The first is putting limits around when and how the GM can make things up: a clear distinction has to be drawn between making up backstory and framing scenes by reference to it, and action resolution. A GM has to do the first if the players are to get the experience of being their characters in the story; but if the GM also just makes up outcomes, then the players didn't exercise agency at all (except perhaps at PC generation).

The second device is the complement to this restraint on GMs: the action resolution mechanics have to let the players actually make their mark on the story. Of mainstream FRPGs 4e is the best game I know for this. Once you move into indie territory there are a range of other options (eg Burning Wheel or HeroWars).

The problem with railroading-type "novel" games like the original Dragonlance modules, or a lot of Planescape material, is that they tend not to use these devices. There tends to be an emphasis on pre-plotting, which of course means that outcomes have to be pre-determined, which means that the GM is not just controlling framing but resolution. And the actual game systems tend to lack action resolution mechanics that the players can use to affect the content of the fiction (especially outside of content) - most action declarations are mediated through very strong and wide-ranging GM judgement calls, which once again means that the players aren't exercising agency.

Conversely, once a game includes rules that the players can use to affect the fiction, and that are not hostage to free-ranging GM judgement calls, then we have something the mechanically looks very like the "wargaming" style, even if the purpose and aesthetics of play isn't quite the same as what Gygax and Pulsipher had in mind.

Mapping Pulsipher's terminology onto Ron Edwards' terminology, I would say that:

simulaton = purist-for-system simulation
wargaming (on its own) = skill-based step-on-up
absurd = luck-based step-on-up
novel (on its own) = high concept simulation
wargaming + novel (combined as described above) = story now

Given that D&D didn't really set out to facilitate "story now" play until 4e, and that "story now" clearly remains a very contentious approach to playing D&D, I think Pulsipher's classification does a pretty good job. It seems to me to capture the same distinctions in GMing and RPGing that Ron Edwards thought were worth drawing 20 years later.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Very interesting post.

pemerton said:
The simulationist wants to reflect reality as much as possible. A fight with a broadsword and chainmail ought to work just as it did in the Middle Ages. . . . These people have no place in D&D; D&D is solidly in the wargame camp, and simulationists should try Chivalry & Sorcery or make up their own games.
Can you only imagine what would happen if that passage appeared in a modern D&D rulebook?

Emerikol

Adventurer
Very interesting post.

Can you only imagine what would happen if that passage appeared in a modern D&D rulebook?

That is because nowadays the "simulationists" are the GNS kind and not the Avalon Hill/SPI kind.

The wargame group is probably where most of the self proclaimed "simulationists" sit nowadays. I"ve tried to get away from the term because I think people misunderstand the forge definitions (including me at times) and thus I've charted my own course.

Brad Wylie (Bawylie on here and wotc) came up with some terms that I've found useful. I found them useful because they tended to encompass a few things that other classifications didn't. For example, I don't consider damage on a miss a Dissociative mechanic but I do believe it lacks Narrative Mechanical Unity. To qualify as a DS mechanic the character has to be unaware and I would consider that a requirement in the DoaM case. Whereas it fails the NMU test right out of the gate.

So I've come around to saying that I want
1. A high degree of narrative mechanical unity.
2. I do not want any dissociative mechanics.
3. Corrollary to #1: I want to be able to narrate my damage and my healing however I want at any time.
4. DM empowered.
5. Players acting through their actors and not making metagame decisions outside the character viewpoint.

From a mechanics perspective that is my "playstyle" minimums. Obviously there are tons of other things that a DM does to make a game his own.
1. Sandbox (players choose their adventures)
2. Living World (intense prep up front and lots of Npcs/monsters with agendas independent of the PCs)
3. World Design: Top Down on the big stuff and bottom up on the finer details.
4. Realistic monster play based on their intelligence and known tactics and not on what the PCs are doing necessarily unless that fits into what the monsters could know.

Hmm. Every article or discussion I remember about GNS and game style tends to focus on the desires of players, or of the group/campaign as a whole.

I'd be interested to hear more about how the desires of the DM specifically are reflected by game style.

(If anyone has a good link, please post it.)

I take issue with the idea that those labels lie along a continuum, which implies that they are exclusive or near-exclusive elements.

Instead, I see all of those elements present in all RPGs, to varying amounts. Some games may stress the novel over simulation, or the absurd over the game mechanics, but all games must account for all of these elements to some degree or another. The particular mix of elements is what defines an RPG genre (broadly) or individual RPG (specifically).

D&D over the years has reduced its "absurd" content; seen its "simulation" content rise and then fall; and seen it "game" content fall and then rise (to a peak with 4E) and now fall again somewhat with 5E. I'd argue that 5E is less "novel" than either of the two editions that preceded it.

None of these observations are judgments; individual gamers will favor different mixes of elements, which explains why and how so many different types of RPGs can exist side by side, and why despite many generations of D&D all of them continue to be played side-by-side.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
I remember this from back in the day. Thought it was one of Lew's better pieces. Of course, people ragged on him some for being too linear, but I think most of us took the idea of most games having a little of several styles mixed in with the main style as a given by then. Or not. :)

pemerton

Legend
Hmm. Every article or discussion I remember about GNS and game style tends to focus on the desires of players, or of the group/campaign as a whole.

I'd be interested to hear more about how the desires of the DM specifically are reflected by game style.

I haven't got any links, but I can say a bit more how Pulsipher's article addresses this. (In parts that I didn't quote.)

He mostly takes for granted that the GM will be the main determinant of playstyle. He gives the following advice to GMs:

When you choose a style, keep the preferences of your potential players in mind.​

And he gives the following advice to players:

The most important thing to remeber about D&D is that the nature of play depends on the DM. If you try it once and dislike it, in many cases it will be dislike of a particular style rather than of the game itself. I have known players who tries "absurd D&D" and decided D&D was a lousy game; but when persuaded to try "wargamer's D&D they loved it.​

And in an earlier article in the same series, he writes:

I know of people who tied D&D and didn't like it, but who becamse enthusiastic about it as played by my group; and there were those who played frequently elsewhere but never cared for our kind of game.​

Personally, I think this is all pretty good stuff. It's down to earth. It's up-front about the author's own preferences. And it's ecumenical about what counts as RPGing.

Henry

Autoexreginated

However, aren't the DMs players also? Whatever the game design or style, it is usually cooperative, in my experience - or at least is best served when it is.

However, aren't the DMs players also? Whatever the game design or style, it is usually cooperative, in my experience - or at least is best served when it is.

Well, for starters, any statement about "character immersion" is moot when it comes to a DM. So he's clearly not going to be in it for that.

pemerton

Legend
Very interesting post.
Thanks.

That is because nowadays the "simulationists" are the GNS kind and not the Avalon Hill/SPI kind.

The wargame group is probably where most of the self proclaimed "simulationists" sit nowadays.
GNS "simulatinists" includes (but isn't limited to) Avalon Hill/SPI simulationists. DragonQuest, RQ, Rolemaster, C&S, HARP, GURPS - all are example of what Edwards call "purist-for-system" simulation.

Self-proclaimd simulationists on these boards probably do sit mostly in the "wargame" camp, but most of them are not simulationists in the GNS sense (at least, not purist-for-system sim). For instance, they tolerate hit points as a health mechanic and turn-by-turn initiative as an action economy - whereas I think it is probably universal across purist-for-system simulationist RPGs is getting rid of these D&Disms.

Mmmm.

I think in the 80s games like RQ, RM, C&S etc were on many more radars than they are now. I could be wrong, but I get a sense that many D&D players who think of themselves as "sim" have no real exposure to these serious simulationist systems.

Remove ads