D&D 3E/3.5 More Epic questions and thoughts - Theurge type PrCs

rgard

Adventurer
Hi All,

Just wanted to get some input on how I think the Epic progression works for Theurge type PrCs. The ones I'm thinking of are Mystic Theurge, Arcane Hierophant, Ultimate Magus, Eldritch Theurge and the like.

In a nutshell, does Epic progression for PrCs kick in when the character becomes Epic level or does it kick in at the 11th level of the PrC when the character is already Epic level?

The way I'm reading the SRD, the slow down in casting levels gained happens at 11th level in Mystic Theurge.

From the SRD: Epic Prestige Class Progressions :: d20srd.org

"When an odd-numbered mystic theurge level above 10th is gained she gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable), as if she had gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class she belonged to previously," It goes on to state the divine class gets an extra level on the even numbered levels.

I'm looking at the 'above 10th' and I'm thinking this even-odd spell casting increase is applicable only after 10 levels of Mystic Theurge are taken.

So for example...

A character has 7 levels of Wizard and 5 levels of Cleric prior to entering the Mystic Theurge PrC. The character then takes 8 levels of Mystic Theurge with the 8th level at character level 20. I'm thinking the remaining 2 levels of Mystic Theurge increase both levels of Wizard and Cleric at each level, 9th and 10th of the PrC.

If the player decides to continue with Mystic Theurge "above 10th" then the even-odd spell casting increase kicks in.

Some might say that once the character is 21st level, the Epic progression for Mystic Theurge kicks in as some perceived abuse could occur.

For example, you could do Wizard 3, Druid 3, MT 10, Wizard 4 to get to 20th level then take Arcane Hierophant at 21st level and reap the benefit of boosting both Druid and Wizard spell casting until you complete the 10 levels of AH at character level 30...then you are stuck with even-odd. Or start AH at 17th level and finish AH at 26th level then start the even-odd.

If any of the PCs in my campaign were to take levels of Mystic Theurge (leading to the 10th level in the class while an Epic character) I would allow boosting both spell casting classes until the 10 level is taken to include if AH was applicable to the character build up to the 10th level of AH.

Any thoughts on this? Too powerful? Ok? Something I missed with RAW that contradicts my understanding of how PrCs work at Epic levels?

Thanks,
Rich

Last edited:

glass

(he, him)
In a nutshell, does Epic progression for PrCs kick in when the character becomes Epic level or does it kick in at the 11th level of the PrC when the character is already Epic level?
The latter. Just being Epic has no impact on levels prior to 10th.

That said, the officially published Epic extension of Mystic Theurge does not implement the guidelines in the ELH, and is strictly worse than just alternating Wizard and Cleric levels or whatever. I would strongly recommend ignoring it.

Remove ads