• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E more HobbitFan DMG questions

HobbitFan

Explorer
So, how are you folks using Factions and Renown?

The guidelines are so vague that it seems outside of organized play, it won't even be used.

I don't understand introducing a number to track Renown without more concrete examples of how its supposed to work. After reading the page and a half on it I'm not getting a whole lot more than "make it up" based upon these suggestions. That's fine but why key it to something trackable like a number then if its so nebulous?

It seems like a good basic idea not really thought through before being presented to the reader.

aramis erak

Legend
So, how are you folks using Factions and Renown?

The guidelines are so vague that it seems outside of organized play, it won't even be used.

I don't understand introducing a number to track Renown without more concrete examples of how its supposed to work. After reading the page and a half on it I'm not getting a whole lot more than "make it up" based upon these suggestions. That's fine but why key it to something trackable like a number then if its so nebulous?

It seems like a good basic idea not really thought through before being presented to the reader.

In AL play - have used them to hook most of the players directly into plots and/or subplots. In an almost paranoia-like manner.

In my home game, I've not decided the factions yet.

Laeknir

First Post
Factions and renown aren't exactly new. DMs have been doing these kinds of things forever, but perhaps not "tracked" in the same kinds of ways.

In the past, if I had a PC who was a druid, their circle and the people in it were often woven into my story as DM.

Wizards had either masters who might get involved (minimally) or an arcane college whose headmaster requested something from time to time.

Fighter schools, rogue guilds, churches, all of these and more could be woven into the overall story in order to enrich it and provide depth for each player. Maybe the PCs were friends with a merchant trading coster, or a secret cabal of nobles working toward a common goal, or perhaps even a cult that pressed them to do certain tasks.

In terms of renown, bards might spread tales of the exploits of individual PCs or the adventuring company. The more you do for the leaders of a town or city, or even the royals of a nation, the more they and the common people will slowly come to recognize you as not only competent but actually heroic.

Putting numbers to these is perhaps new, but they've been around forever. A lot depended on how intricate and complex, and how deep, your DM wanted their background world to be for their players.

Astrosicebear

First Post
My players in my home HOTDQ game are really getting behind the ideas of factions. One guy was really big into FR so he thought it was cool that there was a system in 5E in place for the factions, instead of DM discretion.

One other, who really likes Eberron, equated them to dragonmarked houses, and the perks there.

Overall, if you use them, and dont ignore them, they give you alot of miles.

Remove ads