More on Demon Lords

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
In the latter days of first edition AD&D, TSR was taking a lot of heat from the "angry mothers" of the world, so one of the things they did to lighten up their image was to dump things like demons from the game entirely. However, players demanded the return of such elements to the game, so TSR thought of a way to bring them back: just rename them, and never again use the word "demon" as part of the game. Initially these tanar'ri, as they were now called, didn't have anything like the demon lords to rule over them, and the balors were at the top of the ladder. When the book Monster Mythology was printed in 1992, some familiar faces such as Demogorgon, Baphomet, Kostchtchie, Yeenoghu, and Juiblex returned, but this time as full-fledged gods.

This brings us to the era of Planescape. Demon lords (now Abyssal lords) were fully returned to the game in the setting's second boxed set, Planes of Chaos in 1994, with Graz'zt and Pazrael (later revealed to be Pazuzu). Fraz Urb luu and Zuggtmoy were also mentioned along the way, but didn't really appear in the setting in a big way. Orcus was nowhere to be seen at first, having been deposed and reportedly killed, his name stricken from any recorded word; the mega-adventure Dead Gods brought him back to some semblance of life. So, not only were all of the old familiar lords back in the game, but the setting's designers also introduced a number of new demon lords throughout the product line. In first edition, demon lords usually had stat blocks so that player characters could combat them, but in Planescape most demon lords intentionally had no stat blocks because they were meant to menace the characters without being something that could be directly challenged by mortals. Also, while most old school demon lords fit the mold of "conquer, destroy, corrupt, and oh yeah I have this one subject I am interested in", the Abyssal lords of the Planescape setting were usually quite unique in the approach they took to evil.

Abyssal lords introduced as part of the Planescape line include:

Volisupula appears in Planes of Chaos (1994), in the "Chaos Adventures" booklet, on page 6-7 in the adventure "Wicked, Wicked Ways", where the tanar'ri lord becomes the victim of a theft at the hands of a githzerai while dwelling in Sigil.

Alzrius, Lissa'aere, and Vucarik were described in Hellbound: The Blood War (1996), in the booklet "The Dark of the War", on page 25-26. Vucarik was mentioned in "The Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Graz'zt" in Dragon #360 on page 11. A magic item called the "flame amulet of Alzrius" appeared in Polyhedron #135.

Thralhavoc was mentioned briefly in Hellbound: The Blood War in the "War Games" booklet on page 56, where he is said to have abandoned his layer.

Shaktari played in an important role in the adventure "Nemesis", by Christopher Perkins in Dungeon #60 (1996), beginning on page 32. In FC1 she was revealed on page 137 to be one of the few powerful beings to have escaped from the Wells of Darkness. She was detailed with a full description in Dragon #359 (Sept 2007) in "Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Apocrypha", on pages 50-51.

Alvarez, Eldanoth, Lupercio, Lynkhab, and Pale Night were described in Faces of Evil: the Fiends (1997), on page 60-62. Eldnaoth was detailed in FC1 on page 128. Lupercio was mentioned in "The Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Graz'zt" in Dragon #360 on page 11, and was detailed in Demonomicon (2010) on page 78. Lynkhab was mentioned in "The Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Malcanthet" in Dragon #353 on page 27. Pale Night was mentioned a number of times in the "Demonomicon of Iggwilv" series, and was detailed in FC1, on pages 59, 74–75 and her realm on pages 148-150.

Zzyczesiya was mentioned by name only in Faces of Evil: the Fiends, on page 60. In FC1 on page 137, she was said to have escaped from the Wells of Darkness. She was further described in the FC1 web enhancement: Fiendish Codex I: The Lost Entries

J'zzalshrak was introduced in Dungeon #64 (Sep/Oct 1997), in the adventure "Bzallin's Blacksphere" (also by Perkins) on page 29 and on page 33 where she is described as a "beetle-like tanar'ri".

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Are either of these the one from the 3e Elder Evils? I vaguely remember from flipping through it in a store that it had a snake demon lord somehow connected to Yuan-Ti.

I keep forgetting to look that up. But I can tell you that Sch'theraqpasstt is here in ENWorld's own Creature Catalog if you're at all interested in potential stats.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
If demon lords had a Golden Age in first edition, and went through something of a Middle Age in second edition, then third edition would be the Demonic Renaissance. Demon lords came back in a big way in the Book of Vile Darkness in 2002, which featured Demogorgon, Graz'zt, Juiblex, Orcus, and Yeeonghu. Those who had been gods in second edition AD&D were back to being demon lords, and all had stat blocks just like in the old days. They also had expanded information, such as information on their followers, and prestige classes for evil characters who wished for more power.

A few years later, James Jacobs began writing his "The Demonomicon of Iggwilv" series for Dragon magazine, which went into great detail on the major demon lords. Each article covered a single demon lord, and appeared in issues #329 (Pazuzu), #333 (Fraz'urb-luu), #337 (Zuggtmoy), #341 (Baphomet), #345 (Kostchtchie), #349 (Dagon), #353 (Malcanthet), #357 (Demogorgon), and the "Apocrypha" in #359 which covered five minor demon lords, and in the first online issue #360 (Graz'zt). Each of these articles dropped hints regarding other demon lords, including numerous mentions of the many demon lords which had appeared previously in D&D's history, as well as new ones which had yet to be detailed. In the midst of this series came the first Fiendish Codex book in 2006, which detailed all of these major lords, as well as Juiblex, Obox-ob, Orcus, Pale Night, and Yeenoghu. This book contained a similar level of detail for the featured demon lords as had been seen in the Book of Vile Darkness, and also continued the trend of the "Demonomicon" series to include small details of the many demon lords of the game's history, as well as an index in the back of the book.

Many demon lords new to third edition did not make it into the index at the back of FC1, either because they had not yet been designated as demon lords, or because they had not appeared yet, but those who were featured in the index included:

Rhyxali first appears in the Book of Vile Darkness web enhancement (2002): Web Enhancements - Book of Vile Darkness. She also appears in the adventure Expedition to the Demonweb Pits (2007), and was mentioned in the "Demonomicon of Iggwilv" in Dragon #360, page 11.

Turaglas was first described in the article "The Ebon Maw" by Ari Marmell, on pages 66-75 in Dragon #312 (Oct 2003), and was featured again in the "Demonomicon" series in Dragon #376 (June 2009).

Adimarchus, a fallen celestial, was the antagonist of the Shackled City Adventure Path modules published in Dungeon magazine, in which he was fully detailed in Dungeon #116 (Nov 2004), page 61. He was mentioned in FC1 on page 65, and in Demonomicon (2010) on page 58.

Lamashtu was first mentioned in "Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Pazuzu" in Dragon #329 (March 2005) on page 67, as a former consort to Pazuzu. She was mentioned in FC1 on page 77. She is also described in "Demonomicon" (2010) on page 79 where it says that although she is trapped within Torremor, she is now regarded as the layer's new ruler.

Lazbral'thull, the demon lord of torture and bloodletting, and Malgarius, a demonic plant that once controlled a layer of the Abyss but was defeated by Lazbral'thull, appeared in the adventure "Root of Evil" by Mike Mearls in Dungeon #122 (May 2005), first mentioned on page 57. Lazbral'thull was described in FC1 on page 138 as one of the beings imprisoned in the Wells of Darkness.

Tharzax, patron of poisonous things that creep and crawl, was mentioned in the adventure "Salvage Operation" by Mike Mearls in Dungeon #123 (June 2005) on page 21.

Ugudenk was first mentioned in "Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Fraz-Urb'luu" in Dragon #333 (July 2005), page 39 as a thorn in Fraz-Urb'luu's side; he was later detailed with a full description in Dragon #359 (Sept 2007) in "Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Apocrypha" on pages 51-52. He was described in Demonomicon (2010) on page 79.

Haagenti was first mentioned in "Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Zuggtmoy" in Dragon #337 (Nov 2005), page 47. He was described in Demonomicon (2010) on page 76.

Yibyiru was also mentioned in Dragon #337 (Nov 2005) on page 48 as a personal thrall of Zuggtmoy. She is also mentioned in FC1 on pages 145-146

Dwiergus the Chrysalis Prince was first mentioned in "Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Baphomet" in Dragon #341 (March 2006) on page 24. He was later detailed with a full description in Dragon #359 (Sept 2007) in "Demonomicon of Iggwilv: Apocrypha" on pages 47-49

Kardum was first mentioned in FC1; he is widely speculated to be based on Marduk from Gary Gygax's Gord novels.

Ripzerai

Explorer
I think this one is also a demon lord?

Salis Thik is a demon that appears in the novel Abyssal Warriors (1996) by J. Robert King.

He's a fairly important character in that book, which refers to him as a "fiend lord" (it being the 2nd edition era) and has him rule a fairly intimidating realm of giant sandworms on the 333rd layer of the Abyss. He's far from the only fiendish ruler on that layer, though (though he's the only one named). He has a rival, apparently on the same layer but whose domain is accessible through a portal, who rules a realm of murderous actors endlessly reenacting the same masque. Salis Thik is crowlike in appearance, and doesn't obviously correspond to any of the nonunique tanar'ri types (he's not just a puffed-up vrock, for example). He actually lives inside a giant sandworm, but controls a territory around it.

He's not tremendously powerful, though. He's tough enough to control a fiendish army including a number of greater tanar'ri, but his army only controls a relatively small portion of his Abyssal layer, and an opponent who got past his bodyguards and magic protective wards would find him rather vulnerable. He's weak enough that I was somewhat uncertain whether he should appear on the list, but in the end he's definitely a demon and definitely referred to as a lord.

The 333rd layer is identified as the realm of the Krynnish god Hiddukel in Planescape and the Fiendish Codex I and as the realm of Orcus in H4 and 4th edition's Demonomicon hardcover. In Abyssal Warriors it is apparently neither of these, but it isn't given a name. It's simply called the 333rd layer of the Abyss, and it's inhabited by an unknown number of feuding tanar'ri lords, Salis Thik being the only one to be named. In theory, Hiddukel could live there somewhere, aloof from the politics of the warring tanar'ri.

J. Robert King's Blood War Trilogy is in general notable for its lack of research into or concern for the RPG canon. He pretty much made up whatever he wanted and ignored the game books (the exception is his depiction of Sung Chiang's realm, which is straight out of Planes of Conflict). Not worrying too much about RPG canon might actually be a good quality in a novel, if the books weren't such fail in their own right.

Because of the series' many continuity issues, the fact that it isn't at all clear when the novel is set (its events span almost 30 years of internal time, but don't fit in the present-day Planescape timeline; they might have occurred centuries ago, or possibly decades in the future), the fact that Salis Thik is a comparatively minor player in the Abyss, and of course the fact that he - spoiler alert! - dies in the novel, he's definitely not a significant part of the D&D multiverse. But it is a D&D novel, and there's a lot more detail on Salis Thik than there is on many of the other minor demon lords, and the continuity problems with Abyssal Warriors are less than the ones associated with the Rose Estes demon who also appears on the list, so I mentioned him for the sake of completeness.

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Hah, interesting. :) Would you say my list is fairly complete, then? Am I missing anyone? Any significant appearances worth mentioning, or anything I got wrong?

Ripzerai

Explorer
Phalse was a "powerful demon" originally from the novel Azure Bonds. He is also described in Hall of Heroes (1989), pages 5-7. He often disguised himself as a "nasty-looking halflingish creature" claiming to serve as an agent of the demon he truly was, but his true form was that of a man with a beholder head. He was part of the conspiracy that created the living construct Alias, but his goal was secretly to destroy the god Moander, who Phalse considered the bitterest of his rivals.

It's not entirely clear from my sources that Phalse qualifies as a demon lord, but he's a unique demon with the resources to take down a demigod (albeit indirectly, not through personal combat), and presumably he was gunning to take over Moander's Abyssal layer, Offalmound (the 223rd). He seems to have failed in this, so perhaps he was, at best, a lord-in-waiting, a unique demon on the verge of becoming a lord who failed his final test.

Incidentally, Monster Mythology reported that the Great Mother of the beholders often mated with demons and demodands, creating hybrid offspring. It seems likely that Phalse was one of these (along with the oculus demons from Expedition to the Demonweb Pits).

Alusiel is a fallen angel mentioned in Faces of Evil: The Fiends and in The Plane Below: Secrets of the Elemental Chaos (page 118). He is the ruler of Mal Arundak, the Bastion of Confusion (layer #403), and is becoming increasingly demonic over time. He probably doesn't count as a demon lord.

Rajzak, ruler of an unnumbered Abyssal layer known as the Spires of Rajzak, is described in The Plane Below, page 124. He is over 80 feet tall and described as a mass of claws, mouths, and oozing sores, partly reptile, partly amphibian, and partly indescribable. He was once said to be a demon of great beauty and intelligence, but Graz'zt tore out his mind and soul, leaving him a babbling, mutated idiot. He's explicitly described as a demon lord in his original state, but now he is merely "as powerful as a demon lord but more bestial than the dimmest barlgura."

Ripzerai

Explorer
The Gygax era ended in the mid-1980s, bringing about in turn an end to what you might call the "Golden Age" of the demon lords. The main players had been set, and in the minds of most die-hards (including the designers of FC1), the ones considered most important didn't really change over the years.

Perhaps, but I'd argue that Malcanthet and Pale Night were among the most important additions to the canon. Malcanthet has disappeared in 4e and Pale Night is only incidentally mentioned in the present edition, but for a brief period Malcanthet seemed as important as any of the classic demon princes, and Pale Night given as prominent a place in Fiendish Codex I.

Sess'Innek was introduced in Monstrous Mythology (1992)

His name is spelled three different ways, but Sess'innek (with a lower-case letter 'i') is by far the most common. In Monster Mythology, the demon lord is called "Sess'innek" eight times, "Sess'inek" once (in the table of contents), and "Sess'Innek" once (in the title of his entry). In On Hallowed Ground, his name is always spelled "Sess'innek" (in the index and on page 49). In Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss, his name is spelled "Sess'Innek" once and "Sess'inek" once (both on page 156). In Planes of Chaos, his name is spelled "Sess'inek" three times (once in the Book of Chaos, page 20, and twice on the poster map). In Serpent Kingdoms, his name is spelled "Sess'innek" twenty times. I'm pretty sure Sess'inek and Sess'Innek are both typos that were mistakenly repeated in later sources, but all the variations are official.

Are either of these the one from the 3e Elder Evils? I vaguely remember from flipping through it in a store that it had a snake demon lord somehow connected to Yuan-Ti.

No, that's Sertrous, who is an obyrith demon lord.

I In first edition, demon lords usually had stat blocks so that player characters could combat them, but in Planescape most demon lords intentionally had no stat blocks because they were meant to menace the characters without being something that could be directly challenged by mortals.

The exceptions would be Graz'zt and Pazrael, who had full combat statistics in Planes of Chaos. Of course, these were copied from their stats in Iuz the Evil by Carl Sargent.

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
The exceptions would be Graz'zt and Pazrael, who had full combat statistics in Planes of Chaos. Of course, these were copied from their stats in Iuz the Evil by Carl Sargent.

Thanks, I did mention their PoC appearance, but forgot to mention the fact that they had game stats (as opposed to just about all other Planescape-era Abyssal lords). Probably the fact that they were originally in Iuz the Evil was the only reason they had stats in Planescape - good catch, forgot all about that!

Nichols

First Post
Necromancy!

Some super-late thread necromancy here. ;)

Here's a bunch of information on D&D/d20/etc demons from various sources. I haven't seen any of this mentioned in the various demon lore threads before, so hopefully this is all new material. This is a mix of material - 1st edition, 2nd edition, 3/3.5 ed, 4e, third-party 3/3.5, third-party 4e, and Pathfinder.

I'll list this material in rough order of canonicity - official TSR/WotC game material first (by order of edition), then TSR/WotC fiction. After that, the non-canon stuff - third-party licensed 3/3.5 material, third-party non-licensed material, Pathfinder, and finally third-party 4e material.

D&D (1st edition)

I'll point out Sha-Hec'urah from the original Dungeon Geomorphs sets again. Dungeon Geomorphs and Outdoor Geomorphs in Greyhawk

The early Dragon magazine appearance of Hacamuli, a servant of Orcus, falls into the category of powerful unique non-lord demons, as has been mentioned before.

D&D (2nd edition)

A reference from On Hallowed Ground that I haven't seen mentioned before:

(Regarding the Cerilian Powers) "A few Abyssal lords've even pushed through the barrier: Yeenoghu, Baphomet, and Kostchtchie have all gained worshippers here. Chant is that Torazan, the god of the world's orogs, is also an Abyssal lord (though that's not been confirmed)."

Two more unique powerful demons (of probably nascent demon lord levels of power) are Dhanazar and Uxali. They serve Shaktari and are mentioned in the adventure "Nemesis," in Dungeon #60.

Dhanazar is Shaktari's seneschal. The statue of Dhanazar that the players encounter appears as a horned humanoid with fangs, a whip-like tail and seven elongated fingers on each hand.

Uxali, Shaktari's consort, is described as a (presumably gigantic) five-headed serpent. The statue of Uxali that the players encounter has different colored eyes in each head - blue, purple, green, red, and black.

D&D (3/3.5 ed)

Another powerful unique non-lord demon that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is Dalmosh, from Monster Manual V. Dalmosh resides in the Flesh Mountains in the Abyss, a feature that spans several layers.

I could have sworn that the Iggwilv's Legacy update of The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth stated that Tsojcanth was a minor demon lord in his own right, but Wizards has thrown that and all its other pre-4th edition material down the memory hole. Anyone confirm or deny?

D&D (4e)

The 4e Demonomicon has two lords I haven't seen mentioned anywhere:

"Arcana DC 33: Abyssal wurms are the offspring of the goddess Tiamat and the two-headed demon lord Kothok, the master of gates and portals. When these two-headed wurms were first spawned, Kothok gathered them to his breast, protected them from Tiamat's voracious hunger, and set them to guard secret gates he bored into the very fabric of the Abyss."

"Arcana DC 21: Tomb demons arose in the aftermath of a great battle between Orcus and Sylbarax, an exarch of Zehir known as the Green Death. Sylbarax entered the Abyss, renounced his allegiance to his dark god, and became a demon lord. His reign was short-lived. Orcus assembled a vast host of demons and undead to destroy Sylbarax and the serpentine servants he had drawn to his side."

TSR/WotC fiction

Lussimor (Ebonbane) (2nd edition fiction, plus third-party licensed 3/3.5 ed design notes)

Shadowborn (William W. Connors and Carrie A. Bebris), pp 133-134

"In our language, the creature who called on our Caliph was known as Lussimor. In your tongue, his name would be Ebonbane. I advise you to remember that name, Alexi Shadowborn, for it is one with which you of all people should be familiar. Remember it, and abhor it."

"Lussimor drove the blessed Muhdar to madness and corruption," Lysander continued. "Our leader became cruel and violent. All the good he had done in his life was undone in the span of six short months. To ordinary citizens of the Southern Empire, the transformation of our leader was difficult to see. They were told that the crumbling changes in their daily lives were the fault of the Great Kingdom. But those who served in the palace could not mistake what was happening. One by one, as the truth dawned on them, they were slain and replaced with men who would follow the orders of the corrupted caliph without question."

Design notes regarding Ebonbane for a book he got cut from can be found here: Ravenloft: Fraternity of Shadows

For what its worth, note that the designer would have made Ebonbane a loumara, had loumaras been published at that time.

From The Glass Prison (Monte Cook)

An Abyssal locale that I don't think has been mentioned before:

"Vheod Runechild's body ached from hours of desperate flight, much of which took him through the Fields of Night Unseen, a meadow filled with vampiric thorns."

"The field of black thorns flowed over hill after hill. Nowhere offered Vheod relief from their constant clawing at his legs as he ran, the vorrs close behind him. The sky above him bore a reddish-brown hue that recalled either rust or dried blood. Not even the whisper of a breeze came to alleviate the dry, parched heat. The thorns required blood, not water to live."

Within the Fields of Night Unseen, Vheod finds "Karreth Edittorn... a name he knew meant 'Destiny's Last Hope,' in the language of the tower's creators." Karreth Edittorn is dark tower surrounded by a wall of grey stone and rusted iron supports which forms a bailey. Varrangoin haunt this courtyard. The tower itself has only one entrance - a hole on a small ledge near the top of the tower. According to Abyssal lore, this is a portal leading out of the Abyss. Supposedly, it only opens when it is truly the user's last hope and purportedly takes one to their "destiny." (It deposits Vheod near the Spiderhaunt Wood in Faerun's Dalelands, north of Tilverton.) To reach this portal, one must climb the rough exterior of the tower.

Fiends featured or mentioned in The Glass Prison include:

Vheod Runechild - A cambion from Broken Reach, great-gandson of Chare'en. Worked for an assassin guild called the Bloody Dagger. Flees the Abyss because his human side causes him to be unwilling to murder humans on moral grounds, though he's fine with killing fiends. His commander, Nethess, is hunting him down for this.

Nethess - A marilith in service to Graz'zt. Plans to kill Vheod.

Chare'en - A balor. Imprisoned in a glass orrery in a crypt in the Thunder Peaks. Manipulates his descendant into freeing him. He is called Lord of the Seven Vengeances and Master of the Hosts of J'Duna (whatever J'Duna is - an abyssal layer he ruled, perhaps?). He had originally come to Toril in the Year of the Toppled Throne when the Army of Darkness laid seige to Cormanthyr. He stayed after, building an army of gnolls in the Thunder Peaks and generally being evil until a wizard sealed him in a magic prison.

Gyrison - A winged demon disguising himself as a priest. With Arach, he is manipulating a cult of Chare'en worshippers into freeing the balor

Arach - A winged demon disguising himself as a priest. With Gyrison, he is manipulating a cult of Chare'en worshippers into freeing the balor

Reyniss - this tanar'ri shipwright built the chaos ship Demonwing at Demogorgon's behest and was betrayed and devoured.

Chirotobyn - a tanar'ri wizard who taught Vheod some spells

d20 third-party licensed material

Irlek-Khan

Ravenloft Gazetteer Volume 1, p 16

"Intriguingly, althought few scholars have pointed out as much, the scant evidence of Neureni culture that has survived hints that these barbarians were kin to the horsemen that settled in Gundarak. Indeed, the Gundarakite death god Erlin is in all likelihood an aspect of the demon lord Irlek-Khan, whom the Neureni supposedly worshipped."

p 26

"Erlin is a puzzling Gundarakite death deity whose worship was santioned and encouraged by Duke Gundar during his rule. He is an ancient god and likely a corruption of an even older demonic entity, Irlek-Khan."

An appearance by Baphomet:

Ravenloft Gazetteer Volume 3, p 104-105

"The illustrous Serrure et Clé (Lock and Key) watch company - whose members hide behind grotesque masks - has been defending itself in the past year from charges of blasphemy. Some zealous anchorites have latched onto rumors that the company's secretive traditions conceal diabolical pacts."

"Unfortunately, unbeknownst to Groissiat and the rest of the leadership, the tendrils of the Abyss have indeed wormed their way into the company. Watchman Rogier Le Cauchet (male caliban Ftr5, CE) has been secretly supplicating a fiend named Baphomet, under the delusion that the demon lord can heal his deformities. Le Cauchet has carefully built a cabal of fellow disciples around him and crafted a terrible idol in the shape of Baphomet's visage. Recently, the head has begun to speak to Le Cauchet. It may only be a matter of time before the dread process of fiendish transposition begins to claim the desperate caliban."

d20 3/3.5 third-party material

In Armies of the Abyss (Green Ronin Publishing), the demon lords Gaziel and Fécor are mentioned:

"In the mortal world, Anarazel is served by the demon lords Gaziel and Fécor, who cause earthquakes, ring bells at midnight, cause spectres to appear, and inspire countless terrors."

Also, a balor named Mullin (who graces the cover) is mentioned as Azazel's personal servant.

In the Book of Fiends (also Green Ronin Publishing), p 49, but NOT Armies of the Abyss:

"Harlequins are the children of Kobal, the demon prince of comedians."

The following demons appear in the article, "Demon Princes of Tellene" (Lloyd Brown III), for the Kingdoms of Kalamar d20 setting, in Knights of the Dinner Table #127 (Feb., 2007)

Atis, the Horned Demon / rage, bulls, castration, battle, minotaurs

Begizo, the Oracle / wisdom, cunning, foresight, prophecy, mirrors

Carifa, the Matron (f) / poison, snakes, ugliness, deformity, hate

Daho, the Eternal Dragon / creation of Abyssal layers, sleep, summoning, dragons

Dinus, the Waif / wolves, werewolves, lost or dead children, evil in the form of children

Erida, the Vulture (f) / rage, hate, storms, decay, cold

Laras, the Gatekeeper / ghosts, gates, destruction of love, guardianship

Turem, the Messenger / lightning, travel, speed

One demon lord is mentioned as a name only: Melakarit.

Dinus has a dire wolf steed and companion of maximum size, Solvung.

Laras dwells in the gatehouse of "the Dread Maw, a huge obsidian gate to the Abyss that takes a thousand demons to draw open." The purpose of this gate and the consequences of opening it are not mentioned.

In Kobold Quarterly (Winter 2009, Issue 12), the article "Vilest Evils of the Abyss" (Phillip Larwood) presents seven new demon lords for 3.5e or Pathfinder. (Listed with name, title, areas of concern, and realm below.)

Agoziel, the Ravenous Flame / accidents and disasters / Anaphexaton, the Shuddering Rift

Akyishigal, the Skittish One / cockroaches, disease, and roachlings / The Reeking Vortex

Balaphwr, the Disobedient Prince / regicide and treason / The Furious Reaches

Karduluu, the Solace / alienation and loneliness / The Final Gaze

Thazrinu, the Golden Slayer (f) / camouflage and stealth / Urnax

Ulbastor, the Wounded Sovereign / injury and mutilation / Tzelmuth, the Tangled Abattoir

Uvapula, the Beast Whore (f) / bestiality and gluttony / The Palace of Moaning Flesh

Roachlings and Akyishigal were also featured in an article in Kobold Quarterly #8.

The article mentions Dagdagiron, offspring of Uvapula and Socothbenoth, a nascent demon lord of incest.

In the d20 book Dead Man's Chest, from Necromancer Games, we find Bonjo Tombo, son of Demogorgon and an awakened fiendish dire ape. Obviously inspired by Oonga and King Kong. Not a demon lord, but a powerful unique demon, much like Arendagrost. (see other examples above)

From the d20 book Dreadmire (Spellbinder Games), we find a demon lord of fungus, Leucopraxus.

A wiki page about Leucopraxus is here: Leucopraxus - Dreadmire

A demon lord named Marruzat appears in Beyond Countless Doorways from Sword & Sorcery.

A demon lord named Mhaazoul appears in The Crystal Skull from Necromancer Games.

In Gary Gygax's Necropolis from Necromancer Games, we find two demon lords - Aldinach (here, a male sorcerous demon lord), and Gholl, a minor demon lord of a gnoll-like race called gholls (no comment :D ).

A demon lord named Sriasha appears in The Diamond Fortress from Necromancer Games.

A demon lord named Suvarros appears in (I think) Strange Lands: Lost Tribes of the Scarred Lands from Sword & Sorcery's Scarred Lands line.

Pathfinder material

For the sake of the non-canon demon lord lists at the ends of the various wiki articles:

Nascent demon lords from Pathfinder:

Kalvakus, Daclau-Sar, Izyagna, Menxyr, Murnath, the Nightripper, Ovonovo, Shamira, Sithhud, Treerazer, Yamasoth

Yamasoth was once mentioned in a Dungeon editoral.

Dead demon lords from Pathfinder:

Aolar, Ibdurengian, Mharah, Vyriavaxus, Xar-Armak

Third-party 4e material

Two demon lords appear in Blackdirge's Dungeon Denizens (Goodman Games), a 4e product.

The first is Azi Dahaka, a draconic demon lord of storms, destruction, and elemental chaos.

The second is Malotoch, a demon lord of... I can't remember. :confused:

Voadam

Legend
Third-party 4e material

Two demon lords appear in Blackdirge's Dungeon Denizens (Goodman Games), a 4e product.

The first is Azi Dahaka, a draconic demon lord of storms, destruction, and elemental chaos.

The second is Malotoch, a demon lord of... I can't remember. :confused:

DC 15: Malotoch is the Demon Lord of disease, cannibalism, and to a
lesser extent death and undeath.

Remove ads