D&D (2024) More People Test One D&D Origins Playtest Than D&D Next

WotC has announced that more people have playtested the first One D&D playtest than the number of people who playtested the entirety of the D&D Next playtest 10 years ago, which led to the release of D&D 5E. The number of people who playtested D&D Next, according to the credits in the 5E Player's Handbook, was over 175,000 people.

In the first week alone, more of you have playtested One D&D than in the entirety of 5e playtesting! 🧙‍♂️🎉

Thank you to everyone who has helped shape the future of Dungeons & Dragons! 💥🐉

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 5.22.36 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Yaarel

He Mage
Are they interpreting "downloaded the UA" as equal to "playtested"?

Because, I mean, I downloaded and read it. I haven't used any of it at the table, and probably won't. I'm sure I'm not alone in that.
Even to articulate what you find less appealing is part of playtesting.

In some ways understanding appeal is more useful than catching problematic mechanics.

I can see +1* from class, two +1's from backround.
That way, you can always have 16 in your prime stat without thinking.

Additionally, I'd like it if you gained the 1 from your class, even if you multiclassed into them. Would make up a bit for the lost stat increases due to mhlticlassing.

*I could also see some classes having more than one +1 bonus due to their MADness.
I could perfectly see a monk getting +1 to dex and wis.

Scribe

Legend
I can see +1* from class, two +1's from backround.
That way, you can always have 16 in your prime stat without thinking.

Additionally, I'd like it if you gained the 1 from your class, even if you multiclassed into them. Would make up a bit for the lost stat increases due to mhlticlassing.

*I could also see some classes having more than one +1 bonus due to their MADness.
I could perfectly see a monk getting +1 to dex and wis.
+1 from race, a select list not any stat. No +1 Str from a Halfling for example.
+1 from background, 2 attributes per background to choose from.
+1 from class, 3 attributes to choose from.

Easy.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Maybe the background section should have a disclaimer:

These sample Backgrounds are just examples! All of the components thereof are completely fungible. Feel free to change anything that would better reflect your individual character concept.

View attachment 260076
It's gotta have the Shia gif pop-up in the digital version!

DDB already has the ability to make pregens.
I've always been surprised that DDB doesn't just have a spot where people can post characters for strangers to use, like how they have monsters built by other users. It seems like a no-brainer.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
But the entire purpose of giving examples is so people have the option to take them all as a package instead of having to make each choice individually.

Ultimately, I'm not sure that the game needs to cater to people who stubbornly refuse to read the part that tells them that they can swap any element they like for any other of the same sort. If someone feels that the examples are somehow straightjacketing them, they are mistaken, and IMO not much more needs to be said on the matter (past clearly stating that you can swap stuff, which they've done, and presumably will do in the finished product).

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases