• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

More snippets of 5E information

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Some very minor (and I mean minor) bits and pieces have trickled in over the last day or so. I've added them to the D&D 5E Info page, but here's a summary of what's new:
  • Snippets from a WotC designers' Google+ Hangout playtest confirm the existence of dwarves, lurkers, critical hits, paladins, clerics, trolls (which are vulnerable to fire in some way), clerics, and an unonsciousness status. Mainly no-brainers.
    • "Playtesting in the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. My dwarf just slew a lurker with a well-timed crit to save the swallowed paladin." - Monte Cook.
    • "Playtested in the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. My cleric burned several downed trolls before they could finish off the unconscious paladin." - Bruce Cordell.
  • "I will say my Fighter was +X to hit, rolled dice a lot" - Dave C. of Baldman Games (which runs DDXP); this appears to confirm that + to hit remains, as opposed to some other mechanic. (Thanks to kmdietri).
  • A selection of podcasts discussing the upcoming edition (thanks to Michael for the links):

Last edited:

1Mac

First Post
  • "Playtesting in the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. My dwarf just slew a lurker with a well-timed crit to save the swallowed paladin." - Monte Cook.
  • "Playtested in the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. My cleric burned several downed trolls before they could finish off the unconscious paladin." - Bruce Cordell.
These are clearly results from a Mad-Libs-style 5e playtest tweet generator.

Tilenas

Explorer
...reading between the lines, it seems like the new paladin still sucks /jk.

Rex Blunder

First Post
These are clearly results from a Mad-Libs-style 5e playtest tweet generator.

Hilarious! And a great idea.

Behold the PLAYTEST REPORT GENERATOR:

Sample output:
  • Just escaped Scourge of the Slave Lords. My fighter Charmed a swarm of downed mimics with a critical hit, much to the chagrin of the despairing paladin.
  • Playtested in In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords. My eladrin sniped a bunch of wights, humiliating the prone paladin.
  • TPK in Labyrinth of Madness! My dwarf just defeated a Portuguese man-o-war with no help from the helpless paladin.
  • Playtesting in The Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga. My shardmind killed a nitwit illithid, but it was too late for the stinking paladin.
  • Played in Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. My eladrin just pwned a skeleton. That was the end of the swallowed paladin.

Repeat until the new edition has been entirely revealed!

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Thanks for the updates, Morrus! :)

Hilarious! And a great idea.

Behold the PLAYTEST REPORT GENERATOR:

Sample output:
  • Just escaped Scourge of the Slave Lords. My fighter Charmed a swarm of downed mimics with a critical hit, much to the chagrin of the despairing paladin.
  • Playtested in In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords. My eladrin sniped a bunch of wights, humiliating the prone paladin.
  • TPK in Labyrinth of Madness! My dwarf just defeated a Portuguese man-o-war with no help from the helpless paladin.
  • Playtesting in The Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga. My shardmind killed a nitwit illithid, but it was too late for the stinking paladin.
  • Played in Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. My eladrin just pwned a skeleton. That was the end of the swallowed paladin.

Repeat until the new edition has been entirely revealed!

That is hilarious! :)

Remove ads