• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Morrus - How about enabling 'quick post'?

LeeCHeSSS

First Post
This quick reply box is a hack attainable on www.vbulletin.org

Actually, this would reduce server load since it won't have to do 20 new queries to bring up a new page when a user wants to reply.

But knowing that Morrus ain't a pro in PHP/mySQL (no offense meant); I doubt we'll see it here.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
LeeCHeSSS said:
... this would reduce server load since it won't have to do 20 new queries to bring up a new page when a user wants to reply.

But ... I doubt we'll see it here.
Well, now. If Morrus decided to install it, I'm sure that, say, Psionicist could explain how it's done.

Decamber

First Post
pennywiz said:
A full 15% of Decamber's 'not-so-quick-reply' 29 posts are in this thread. The boards have shown repeatedly that the current server situation can't support additional features. I fail to see the logic behind the suggestion.

Nice research. :rolleyes:

A full 10% of yours, if we should go on - I really don't see any point in that either. The logic in my suggestion, is explained by LeeCHeSSS.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You say this will reduce server load - how much of a difference would it make? And would it definitely make a noticeable difference?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
LeeCHeSSS said:

Actually, this would reduce server load since it won't have to do 20 new queries to bring up a new page when a user wants to reply.

Well, slow down a sec on that analysis.

At the moment, in order to make a reply, the user goes to a new page, thus generating a bunch of queries. But these only happen when the user wants to reply. Most users wil read through many pages before generating those queries.

Adding his hack will create less load than the full reply page, but it will add them to each and every page whether or not the user intends to reply.

If the number of views is much greater than the number of replies (which I expect is the case), you aren't necessarily winning, load-wise.

LeeCHeSSS

First Post
Your words are true, Umbran. Yes, the quick reply box/button would be showed on every thread-page viewed. However, it doesn't use any mySQL query and only 1 additional php function.

I can't tell how much the view-reply ratio would need to be before they would nullify the benefit of such a hack (php stresses the server far less than mySQL queries do). So in order to find out, you can always try the hack for a while and remove it if it turns out to cause more harm than it brings benefit.

I stand corrected in being too fast with my analysis though.

PS.
I can't tell how much difference it would make, Morrus (there's too much variables to take into account).

PPS.
What's wrong with being Dutch, Horacio? I am quite chauvinistic, so beware :p

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
LeeCHeSSS said:
PPS.
What's wrong with being Dutch, Horacio? I am quite chauvinistic, so beware :p

Oh, I knew that wans't the correct adjetive... Dutch.
So you are a Dutch lurker... Well, not anymore, now you are a Dutch poster. :p

Psionicist

Explorer
That little hack consumes about 0 resources. It is just a form with a small piece of formatting code, that will transforum you to the "post page", where the info are saved into the database.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads