D&D 5E Most Underrated D&D Module

ccs

41st lv DM
One of my favorites is N2: The Forest Oracle.
Yes, it's a pretty terrible railroad & poorly written. It routinely ends up on "Worst of" lists.
And If you run it straight & invest no prep, well you'll have crap....

But the general plot is fine. So treat it like a rough outline & add your own flourishes and details.

JonnyP71

Explorer
When I saw the thread title, this was my first reaction. You don't hear a lot about these, but they were very good. I played my group through UK2 during the playtest, and it worked seamlessly

My 'newbie' group who recently suffered a near TPK in the main 5E campaign are currently playing some 1E - and enjoying it thus far...

They've just finished UK2, but are all level 3/4 so UK3 would be a massacre - hence the diversion to UK4 - to beef them up somewhat. Though I can see them struggling with some bits, as they still have some of the 5E 'Chaaaaarrggge, we can win this!' mindset. UK2 played really well, it's often looked on as the poor little-sibling to UK3, which is partially true as it sets the scene for The Gauntlet, but the Villa and the old Xvart Lair are both really nicely done, with some tough challenges to trap the unwary. It's amazing the damage a single Caterwaul can do if the party is jammed into twisty 5' wide tunnels.

Graeme Morris was probably the best module writer of the 80s, and was creating some truly innovative gems while over in the States Tracy Hickman was churning out the dross DL series.

When they did the 'top 30 modules' thing a few years ago I seem to remember U1 being the only British adventure in the top 30. U1, UK3 and UK4 should all have been in the top 5.

Last edited:

JonnyP71

Explorer
My favorite modules that don't get enough love?

EX1 & 2 (the "Alice" modules). Back when D&D used to have a bit of fun, not nearly as heralded as Barrier Peaks. Delightfully weird.

X4 & 5 (Desert/Nomad modules). X1 & X2 deservedly get props, but these are fun modules.

In my opinion, X4 is the best of the entire X series, it's fantastic, and far overshadows X5,

jrowland

First Post
When I saw the thread title, this was my first reaction. You don't hear a lot about these, but they were very good. I played my group through UK2 during the playtest, and it worked seamlessly

Same here. My vote is UK2 and UK3. Alderweg Keep is fixture in many campaigns I've run, such a great "low level" base of operations. I've had PCs take over as Lords, or simply be honored permanent guests, etc.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
B4: The Lost City

Meet strange mask wearing factions members in a very weird pyramid. Huge scope for customization and expansion. Lots of RP potential. Pulpy theme and final boss monster.

Sacrosanct

Legend
B4: The Lost City

Meet strange mask wearing factions members in a very weird pyramid. Huge scope for customization and expansion. Lots of RP potential. Pulpy theme and final boss monster.

I don't know if I'd call that underrated. It's one of the go-to modules people bring up when talking about great D&D old school adventures.

Remove ads