Most versatile single class

Thanee

First Post
@Felix: Besides, I think even when looking at it like you put it, the sorcerer (for example, Psions don't count :p) would win over the rogue there, especially if built for a specific purpose. Spells simply win over skills, guess that is the main idea here.

And no, I do not hate rogues. The rogue is one of my prefered classes, too.

If you go for concept versatility, that is, what kind of concepts can be realized with a class, the rogue is definitely pretty good, but the cleric would also be very, very high.

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Antoine

First Post
Druid, rogue, bard…

Let me throw some arguments in favor of the cleric :

Low level : couple of domains may give two bonus feats/powers; heavy armor and shield helps much; low skill points but low skill dependence; and how happy we were discovering spontaneous casting in the early days of 3E! Poor weapon selection (except war domain), but reasonnable fighter who can turn out as best fighter in a party.

Mid level : extremely potent defensive spells (spell immunity, death ward, spell resistance, freedom of movement); best ability to deal with really annoying monsters (incorporeal undead, fiends…); can cure any damage/curse/affliction extremely fast; turns into a combat freak in one or two rounds; best divination capacity around and ULTIMATE VERSATILITY with planar allies.

High level : repeat all the above + access to many PCs; control of life and death, then miracle.

All along : transportation and miscellaneous spells, near best to best AC; two good saves; can craft some of the most potent/useful items in the game.

Clerics rock ! :D

Creeperman

First Post
Antoine said:
Poor weapon selection (except war domain), but reasonable fighter who can turn out as best fighter in a party.
This about sums up any mid-high level cleric with an intelligent spell selection and either the Quicken Spell feat or metamagic rod. Leave him alone for just twelve to eighteen seconds, and he will outshine any pure melee build in terms of raw damage output, and possibly damage absorbtion as well.

It's enough to make a fighter-type throw up his hands and quit adventuring, because he's obviously no longer needed in that party anymore. (Well, at least until the Dispels start flying...)

Antoine

First Post
Creeperman said:
It's enough to make a fighter-type throw up his hands and quit adventuring, because he's obviously no longer needed in that party anymore. (Well, at least until the Dispels start flying...)

Then pick-up one of those nice rings of counterspell !
At such a bargain price you might even go for no-space/double cost.

Antoine

First Post
Creeperman said:
Leave him alone for just twelve to eighteen seconds

Even six.
Played yesterday evening an 8th level cleric with 2-handed weapon (spiked chain : she's Kossuth's), power attack, divine might and now extra smiting.
All you need's divine power.
And she doesn't even have more than Str 14 un-buffed !
Stand back everybody !

Remove ads