motw:creeping cold

Moleculo

First Post
24 rounds of combat is a really long time... A Wizard at 18th level could cast a melfs acid arrow 7 times and do an automatic 196d4 damage over 98 rounds that are without save! heheh. Who cares if its that much damage over a certain amount of time. its also long enough for the bad guy you are facing to have a dispel magic cast on him before he bites the bullet.

jake

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Mostly, it'd be nasty against big dumb nonflying creatures. If you can target one of them with this spell and then get away, it can be a slow and almost inevitable death for the creature.

At ninth level, of course, that might not be such a problem. But still: think about casting it on the tarrasque. If you were able to get past its SR (and, somehow, past its ridiculous saves), you could actually put a hurting on the poor beast with a modified second-level spell. And that's just not how the tarrasque is supposed to work.

Overally, not a huge balance problem; still, though, I think the damage ought to be capped at 3d6 a round. Think of it like a chill metal spell, that has a maximum cold it can achieve.

Daniel

Croaker

First Post
Creeping Cold is also a great anti-caster spell, better than Melf's Acid arrow since it a) doesn't require an attack roll, b) has a longer duration at low levels, and c) deals more continuous damage, thus forcing more difficult Concentration checks. While druids and clerics are more likely to make the Fort save for half damage, all those Concentration checks are helpful against opponents clever enough to stay away from AoOs.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Croaker said:
Creeping Cold is also a great anti-caster spell, better than Melf's Acid arrow since it a) doesn't require an attack roll, b) has a longer duration at low levels, and c) deals more continuous damage, thus forcing more difficult Concentration checks. While druids and clerics are more likely to make the Fort save for half damage, all those Concentration checks are helpful against opponents clever enough to stay away from AoOs.

If they are both 2nd level spells then I see a problem. A druids spells should not be as potent as a wizards in damage dealing. Melfs acid arrow is perhaps a wizards best 2nd level spell, a 2nd level druid damaging attack spell should be worse not better.

Chris Coulter

First Post
I'd even say that the extended version would do 1D6 on the first and second rounds then 2D6 on the third and fourth rounds, and finish off doing 3D6 on each of the fifth and sixth rounds.

Gives it a nice boost without outdoing the 7th level Greater version. (plus it puts a balance on the extra damage by not getting it as fast.)

Crothian

First Post
Chris Coulter said:
I'd even say that the extended version would do 1D6 on the first and second rounds then 2D6 on the third and fourth rounds, and finish off doing 3D6 on each of the fifth and sixth rounds.

Gives it a nice boost without outdoing the 7th level Greater version. (plus it puts a balance on the extra damage by not getting it as fast.)

I agree with this. The spell maxes out at 3d6, I don't think it'd keep getting stronger with a meta magic feat.

Remove ads