• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Mounted combat.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Let me know if I'm missing something. Unless you have the mounted combat feat there is no advantage to attacking a non mounted foe correct? Are there any rules I'm missing about using a riding horse in combat?

Tormyr

Hero
An unintelligent mount follows your commands and can only do one of the 3 D's as its action: Dash, Disengage, or Dodge. An intelligent mount acts on its own initiative and can attack while being ridden.

While mounted combatant adds several goodies, there are lots of possiblities without it. Disengage could allow the rider to do a "flyby" attack, protecting the mount and rider. Dodge imposes disadvantage on enemy attacks against mount and rider, and dash allows long distances to be crossed.

Eejit

First Post
Let me know if I'm missing something. Unless you have the mounted combat feat there is no advantage to attacking a non mounted foe correct? Are there any rules I'm missing about using a riding horse in combat?

You can use a Lance in one hand and you probably have better movement speed.

Paraxis

Explorer
You can move through a nonhostile creature’s space. In contrast, you can move through a hostile creature’s space only if the creature is at least two sizes larger or smaller than you. Remember that another creature’s space is difficult terrain for you.

-So while mounted your mount can move through/over small creatures if it is large

Another thing, I don't think the rules go into this but basically since you are on your mount your area of reach is bigger. With a 5' reach weapon you can now attack any square adjacent to your mount so 12 squares on a map instead of the normal 8. If you are using a polearm you can attack a large section of most battlemaps.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
But there is no difference between using a riding horse and a war horse save for the stats of the horses I supposed. Don't have my books at the moment.

I think I'm going to have to write up some house rules on this. The mounted combat feat should be a standard feature of any fighter or paladin.

Remove ads