D&D 5E Mounts and Questions

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
An Axe beak is pretty much the same thing isnt it?

Maybe drop the Damage down to 1d4 from its kick, and increase movement speed or let them dash as a bonus action (they run at like 70kmph!)
I disagree. Change the beak attack to a kick but leave the damage where it is. Ostriches can kill lions.

ccs

41st lv DM
3. What really happens if your Nightmare FoWP (Figurine of Wondrous Power) disobeys you, you mount it, and the 2 of you go to Hades? What happens there?

An adventure.

Unless your DM is simply getting rid of your character....

Odds are it'll be obvious wich is occuring.....

Li Shenron

Legend
About 10-5 questions about mounts.

1. Ostriches are rideable in real life, why aren't there ostriches in DND?

2. If you awakened your mount and you're friends with it now, then you have an argument, and the cleric uses a beneficial spell on you both, does the mount get affected even if it might no longer be considered your ally?

3. What really happens if your Nightmare FoWP (Figurine of Wondrous Power) disobeys you, you mount it, and the 2 of you go to Hades? What happens there? Why on Hades and not on Avernus, since the nigtmare is a fiendish being?

4. So you're part of a long-lived species and raised a dragon from an egg. The dragon is intelligent, but regards you as someone friendly and lets you ride it. Does this override "intelligent creatures act independently" from the 5e Basic Rules?

5. Does your (awakened) mount have attunement slots? Otherwise, how can it benefit from stuff like a Periapt of Health?

6. So a bad guy permanently polymorphed you into an intelligent mouse/weasel/squirrel etc. Does your mount still accept you guiding it? Does it not recognize you?

7. What happens if you cast 9th-level geas on the BBEG's mount and command it "to serve you loyally", but the BBEG themselves escapes and later casts 9th-level dispel magic on the mount?

Please help me.
1. Just because we don't have stats doesn't mean we don't have ostriches. In 99% of the situations you only need to know the speed of a mount, which you can choose based on similar creatures. I do not recommend to have mounts participate in combat, much less be directly controlled by their players, so I wouldn't worry about lack of stats before you really need them.

2. I would not count mounts as allies, but awakened mounts are meant to be more like NPCs and therefore I would count them as allies. However, I also think that the concept of "ally" is non-technical, and it's up to the caster to choose the spell's targets.

3. Nightmares come generically from the lower planes, Hades is one of them (if you want to go along with some canon). What really happens there depends on your DM.

4. Why would this? The dragon acts independently anyway. A mount moves together with the rider for sure, but they still act independently.

5. Yes, attunement generally applies to every creature.

6. I doubt that a mount can recognize someone was polymorphed, particularly because in those forms they can't even speak. In fact, it's not obvious that an intelligent creature would recognize it either. A generous DM might decide the mount can instinctively do anyway.

7. I am not sure... it seems people are confident that a 9th-level Dispel Magic doesn't work on a 9th-level Geas, but I think it would work. The RAW says that 9th-level Geas will last until ended by Remove Curse, Greater Restoration or Wish, but it doesn't say it cannot be dispelled.

Flicker the Flareon

Champion of Alola
Here's an ostrich:

Ostrich

Medium beast, unaligned

Speed: 60 ft

35 hit points

AC 14

Str 15 | Dex 18 | Con 14 | Int 3 | Wis 14 | Cha 5

Proficient skills: Athletics, Perception

Traits

Mount. The ostrich can be ridden be medium creatures despite its size.

Actions

Kick. Melee Weapon Attack. Reach 5 ft, one target. Hit: 1d10 bludgeoning damage

I'm still not sure about CR, but this is about all you need for an ostrich mount. If your ostrich got the ability to fly through either magic or quirky genetics, add the following action:

Flutter. The ostrich gains a flying speed of 15 ft. as long as it uses its action each turn to keep fluttering. While fluttering, the ostrich cannot rise more then 7 feet from the ground.

Richards

Legend
I never did up ostrich stats, but during the 3.X days I once wrote up the stats for a dire rhea.... (Yes, it was the pun aspect of the name that attracted me to it.)

Johnathan

About 10-5 questions about mounts.

1. Ostriches are rideable in real life, why aren't there ostriches in DND?
I have not seen ostrich stats. I'm also not convinced they can be ridden in real life. Do you have a source for this?
2. If you awakened your mount and you're friends with it now, then you have an argument, and the cleric uses a beneficial spell on you both, does the mount get affected even if it might no longer be considered your ally?
It would still be your ally. Some PCs argue a lot. Even married couples argue sometimes.
3. What really happens if your Nightmare FoWP (Figurine of Wondrous Power) disobeys you, you mount it, and the 2 of you go to Hades? What happens there? Why on Hades and not on Avernus, since the nigtmare is a fiendish being?
I think WotC made an error by associating the figurine with Hades and simply never corrected it, probably deciding to follow the "rule of cool".
4. So you're part of a long-lived species and raised a dragon from an egg. The dragon is intelligent, but regards you as someone friendly and lets you ride it. Does this override "intelligent creatures act independently" from the 5e Basic Rules?
No. The dragon is still intelligent, and wouldn't want to limit its actions. I imagine the dragon would consider itself superior to an elf (unless said elf is an archmage or something). The combo of independent actions is better than riding a "dumb" dragon anyway.
5. Does your (awakened) mount have attunement slots? Otherwise, how can it benefit from stuff like a Periapt of Health?
Yes. Pathfinder 1e has the most detailed set of rules for attunement slots for non-human creatures I've seen.
6. So a bad guy permanently polymorphed you into an intelligent mouse/weasel/squirrel etc. Does your mount still accept you guiding it? Does it not recognize you?
I think it depends on the mount. Assuming the mount is an unintelligent horse, no. You don't look the same, smell the same, or sound the same, and you cannot hold the reins while putting your feet in the stirrups, since you're too small and don't have hands. If it's an intelligent mount and can communicate with you somehow, sure, but note that intelligent mounts have different rules.
7. What happens if you cast 9th-level geas on the BBEG's mount and command it "to serve you loyally", but the BBEG themselves escapes and later casts 9th-level dispel magic on the mount?
That would depend on the mount. Can you even cast geas on a horse? Could you command it in conjunction with Speak with Animals? I assume an unintelligent mount wouldn't care, and would simply be more cooperative. If the mount was an intelligent dragon, on the other hand, it would seek revenge the moment it is freed. (Of course that's a pretty powerful BBEG to command a dragon. Are they only 9th-level?)
Please help me.
I tried.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases