D&D 5E Move and Attack question

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
This.

You are not ending your move. You are breaking up your move.

As I mentioned before, I see "breaking up your move" as turned it into multiple moves. But, I don't think the concept that you have a "move" is anything more than a term to quickly refer to movement. The core idea is that you can move past someone, but you can't really occupy the same space as them for more than a moment as you navigate around each other. I would rule that you can't perform actions while in the same space as someone else, as you have to be able to control your space to do so. That strikes me as consistent with the intent of not being able to end your move in someone else's space.

Ultimately, it's not that important, except when discussing the optional flanking rules, and even then I think flanking should apply to the moving character.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Just noticed this tweet from Crawford. My apologies to those with whom I argued so stubbornly. It appears that I was in error regarding the intent.

Aug 25

Q: Can a creature enter the space an ally occupies and attack an enemy, as long as he ends his turn in unoccupied space?

A: The intent is that you can't willingly end your move—any part of it—in another creature's space (PH, 191).

edit: This probably isn't news to anyone but me. :yawn:

Last edited:

Remove ads