• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Move and charge? Possible?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Balgus said:
I wouldnt allow it. Realistically, moving would take up the 6 seconds for that round. Then gathering up the momentum and speed to charge would take too much time.

But I would let the person shift before charging bcause no one really runs in a straight line anyhow.
It's pretty rare for a basic attack to be better than (or equal to) a power. Why would most characters charge when they could simply move and then use an at-will?

GoLu

First Post
Bayuer said:
I just wonder. To this moment i ruled that creature can move it's speed and then make a charge action. But i just wonder. What with duble move action? There is cleary said that this action can't be interrupted by any other. So what with move and charge?

Second question is about shift into dificult terrain when using two move action? Is this possible?

Double move really just means that if you take the same move action twice in a row, you can add the movement together and count it as one movement action that goes twice as far as normal. There are several advantages to not having to break your total movement into two separate actions, some of which are listed in the rules for double moves.

Taking a move action and a charge action is not a double move, because you aren't taking the same action twice. The double move rules do not apply. On the other hand, it's totally legit to do, since you can use a move action and a standard action on the same turn. The only trick is that you can't follow the charge with any additional actions (without spending an action point). So just move first, then charge. As mentioned already, it's not overpowered.

You can't normally shift onto difficult terrain because a shift is only 1 square and it costs 2 squares of movement to enter difficult terrain. However, by shifting twice and using the double move rules, the two 1-square shifts combine into a single 2-square shift which is enough to enter a square of difficult terrain.

Thanee

First Post
The Charge Action as a whole seems pretty weird.

It should allow you to move further than your speed and then attack, but it should not allow you some of the other combinations you can use it for (i.e. stand up and charge or shift away from a combat and charge, or even move back and charge back in), IMHO.

The Move Action preceding a Charge Action should have the same limitation as the Charge Action (esp. most direct route).

Bye
Thanee

Bayuer

First Post
GoLu said:
You can't normally shift onto difficult terrain because a shift is only 1 square and it costs 2 squares of movement to enter difficult terrain. However, by shifting twice and using the double move rules, the two 1-square shifts combine into a single 2-square shift which is enough to enter a square of difficult terrain.

Hmm... I justr saw rules on p.284 and thats correct. I must read more carefuly in the future;D

Thx for all answers.

Andur

First Post
Realistically, moving would take up the 6 seconds for that round.

Six seconds is a long time... With a 100 lb pack people can cover 18 squares in 6 seconds, the vast majority of high school football players can cover 24 squaress in pads under 6 seconds. Heck I'm old and fat and can cover 10 squares under 6 seconds if there is a beer at the end. (I'd grab the beer as a result of my charge, and then open and drink it as a minor action, a la potion) ;)

Remove ads