D&D 5E Move Attack Move: Issues with The New Standard for Combat

Rhenny

Adventurer
Like Mistwell said, I think the entire mechanic will lead to different tactics.

If the PCs (or the monsters) see this type of behavior, I think they will need to ready actions to stop it. I also agree with others who would not have monsters do it unless they are well known for hit and run tactics (spring attack).

I love the missile fire/spell fire run for cover option. It simulates real life much more than older movement mechanics. I'm not a simulationist, but in this case it solves a problem I always had with other versions. A PC or monster should be able to use cover in this fashion.

To stop the hidden archer or spellslinger, PCs or monsters will have to charge them or ready an action. That's fine by me.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
And I think that may be your problem right there.

You rolled one initiative, but then gave each individual *separate* movement actions. Now, I don't know Next perfectly but... I'm going to guess that there's the usual - "allied creatures can move through each other's locations, but cannot *stop* there" structure. To attack they need to stop and swing. So, essentially, you allowed them to be all in the same place at the same time! If they all moved on the same initiative, they should have moved *as a group*, not sequentially as individuals, and that would have meant that they couldn't all reach the fighter in the entryway.

Naw when you all move on one action, you take turns with each creature. There is no actual "stopping" as movement is continuing the whole time. Hence breaking up move with an attack between. Again, there is no more real "move" action, as it's not both before and after as you see fit.

I rolled initiative for a whole large group of Duerger, all one initiative. Now, perhaps that was a mistake, as it changed how things went.
It doesn't actually change anything relevant to the topic at hand. Either way, they all get to act once before the PC gets to go. If you want to visualize it, you can imagine that each is doing a run-by and is only half a second behind the previous one, so that's slightly less weird.

The old tactic of trying to bottle-neck the enemies is just invalid in this edition, because they can each enter the single space, then attack, and leave to make room for the next one. As long as there is any open space nearby, everyone in the area can make use of your limited frontal area. Is that more or less weird than one person blocking the space for all allies?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
This rule makes me think Combat Reflexes is going to be a required feat for every frontline combatant--and maybe a reach weapon as well.

Klaus

First Post
Naw when you all move on one action, you take turns with each creature. There is no actual "stopping" as movement is continuing the whole time. Hence breaking up move with an attack between. Again, there is no more real "move" action, as it's not both before and after as you see fit.

Actually, the duergar would move up to the fighter, stop to attack him, and then continue the movement. But regardless, each duergar could ready an action to charge once his comrade passed the fighter, so the order of initiative is moot.

But how wide was the corridor? Only halflings can pass through the spaces of larger enemies. If the corridor was 10-15 feet wide, there was no hope for the fighter to hold a rushing wave of duergar fury. If the corridor was a mere 5-feet, though, the duergar would have to kill the fighter to go through.

If the corridor was a mere 5-feet, though, the duergar would have to kill the fighter to go through.
Which is much easier when everyone gets a melee attack against the fighter, compared to 3E or 4E where only one of the duergar would get an attack against the fighter (or three at most, if the hallway is 15 feet wide). That's the issue at hand.

frogimus

First Post
If the passage was narrow enough for a single fighter to hold one end, how were the duergar able to pass each other in the "conga line" formation required for them to strike sequentially? IMO, if they share initiative as a group, they should move as a group and could only give 1-2 duergar a chance to melee the fighter in a tight corridor.

A little much suspension of disbelief in a pure RAW in this case.

IMO, if they share initiative as a group, they should move as a group and could only give 1-2 duergar a chance to melee the fighter in a tight corridor.
Grouped initiative is just supposed to be a matter of convenience, rather than actually change how anything plays out. I mean, everyone is going over the course of six seconds anyway.

frogimus

First Post
Grouped initiative is just supposed to be a matter of convenience, rather than actually change how anything plays out. I mean, everyone is going over the course of six seconds anyway.

True. I just think this topic illustrates how easy it is to "game" the MAM system.

I like continuation of your move, with limitations.

Pop out, fire, pop back? Yes

Run to target, swing your weapon, continue your forward movement (allowing a veer to right or left)? Yes

Run to target, swing your weapon, reverse course? No

Conga line in a tight corridor? Ohellno

Remove ads