• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Movies that are better than the novels they are based on

Villano

First Post
Off-hand, I can think of The Howling. Joe Dante, the director, even said that his regret is not that they used so little of the book, but any of it at all.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Kai Lord said:
Most people I know who've read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" have felt that Blade Runner was better.

They are quite different in tone, emphasis and just about every other thing. Almost two different stories in fact. I do agree though.

Wombat

First Post
Flexor the Mighty! said:
The Godfather I & II. Loved the book, worship the movies.

Yep. Movies much, much better -- actually, I think the books are pretty thin and cheesy, but they were written-on-demand, so that probably affects matters for me.

Add Silence of the Lambs to that list -- the book is a mess, with far too many badly shifting points of view -- the movie is more neatly organized, much darker, and less of a potboiler (thanks to the stars!)

Last edited:

reanjr

First Post
Oh, and Bram Stoker's Dracula and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. The Coppola versions are much better. Hmmm... Godfather, Dracula, Frankenstein. Coppola has a good track record for book->movie.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I know it's all opinion, but I found the original novel Dracula far better than the Coppola's version (which I found very disapponting).

I also thought the Howling book was far better that the movie, though neither was stellar.

For my picks, I'd say Jurassic Park.
Blade Runner (better than the story it comes from, but in fairness, they are quite different in the way they develop).
The Princess Bride.
Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (but hey, Roald Dahl wrote the screenplay, so in effect, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is an earlier draft of the work).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads