• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Movies that are better than the novels they are based on

Dark Jezter

First Post
Many movies out there are based upon novels, and every once in a while, a movie adaptation of a novel actually manages to improve over its source material. This thread is for people to list such movies.

I'll start by mentioning Forrest Gump and The Green Mile, both of which were very good movies based on mediocre books.

Last edited:

KenM

Banned
Banned
*puts on flame proof suit* The Lord of the Rings. I think JRRT's style is not very good. He spends too much time describing almost every blade of grass, and the characters break off into some song that has nothing to due with the main plot. He glosses over major inportant plot points, while over describing small details that don't move the plot along. IE: At the end of FOTR, when the orcs attck and the fellowship breaks up, JRRT just mentions breifly the orcs attacking, no real details of the fight. I understand JRRT was a pacifst and did not like to talk about violence, but when you are talking about a war, you need to describe the battles as well as the world. The first part of FotR novel is also very slow in getting going.

Dark Jezter

First Post
KenM said:
*puts on flame proof suit* The Lord of the Rings. I think JRRT's style is not very good. He spends too much time describing almost every blade of grass, and the characters break off into some song that has nothing to due with the main plot. He glosses over major inportant plot points, while over describing small details that don't move the plot along. IE: At the end of FOTR, when the orcs attck and the fellowship breaks up, JRRT just mentions breifly the orcs attacking, no real details of the fight. I understand JRRT was a pacifst and did not like to talk about violence, but when you are talking about a war, you need to describe the battles as well as the world. The first part of FotR novel is also very slow in getting going.
KenM, you've just opened up a real...

worms2.jpg

;)

KenM

Banned
Banned
I know, I know. I don't want to hijack thish thread. If we want to talk about why I think the LotR movies are better then the books, someone start a new thread please.

Where Eagles Dare by Alistair MacLean was an OK book, but the film version with Richard Burton, Clint Eastwood and Marie Ure is excellent.

There should be a correllary in the O-T forum for songs where the remake is better than the original... ;)

Remove ads