D&D 5E Moving Stealthily While Traveling

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
If this represents 1/2 speed it's probably too far. Twelve miles per day represents a better 1/2 speed over good terrain for 8 hours of travel by foot.

That isn't the intent though. It's more like 2/3 speed, but really travel pace is different from an individual character's speed.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
It's not a trait of any particular creature. It's just my ruling on the general properties of being asleep, is that you aren't drawing any special attention to yourself.

Sure, I get it. You aren't shouting, "Hey, I'm over here!" So it's a little bit like stealth, but since you aren't fully conscious and aware of things around you, you can't actively avoid someone's notice either. You have no control over whether you snore or mutter something in your sleep, for instance, and you have no ability to move to a more advantageous location if you're in danger of being discovered. If a creature had gone to the trouble of going to sleep in a location where it was reasonably difficult to find it, I'd set a DC to notice it too, but that's a layer of complication I'm not going to bother with unless there's something at stake about finding this creature (i.e. not some random leopard that just happens to be in a cornfield).

Satyrn

First Post
not some random leopard that just happens to be in a cornfield.

I'm really curious now about this random leopard's story. Like, is he from a different continent, brought here to be a circus performer but has now managed to escape?

Before falling asleep in the cornfield, was he wandering the flat prairie land wondering why there were so few trees? .

Did his mouth water something fierce when he saw a field of cows, all neatly fenced in? How long did it take for him to drag his new meal out of sight into the corn patch?

And did he have a ghostly baseball player for dessert?

Remove ads