• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Moving Stinking Cloud over an enemy: Did the enemy enter the cloud?

Brys

First Post
I never thought of multi-square sliding as able to ping-pong anyway. I always thought there had to be a straight line of effect from the first square to the last and that the enemy moved there along a straightish line. No "hooking" the enemy around corners and down the corridor like a bowling pro. But then, I use RAW as a starting point and end with RAII ("Rules As Interpreted").

MarkB

Legend
I never thought of multi-square sliding as able to ping-pong anyway. I always thought there had to be a straight line of effect from the first square to the last and that the enemy moved there along a straightish line. No "hooking" the enemy around corners and down the corridor like a bowling pro. But then, I use RAW as a starting point and end with RAII ("Rules As Interpreted").

Slide, in particular, lets you move your opponent exactly as you wish. Push and Pull only have the requirement that each square of movement must take the target closer to you, or further away from you, respectively.

Syrsuro

First Post
I treat the 'ping-pong' effect as a single 'entrance' because that makes the most sense (RAW notwithstanding).

To use the example of a Wall of Fire: Does it really make more sense for someone who moves in and out of the Wall of Fire to take several times more damage than someone who is moved into the Wall and left there?

I think spells like that should be limited to once per turn (at a minimum) and perhaps once per round (although I haven't gone that far yet).

(And yes, I know that it's not a Sim game and things need not make 'sense' - but when something is simultaneously overly powerful and illogical that is all the justification I need to correct them.)

Carl

Remove ads