• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E MPMB's D&D 5e Character Tools

RCanine

First Post
I will probably just put all 4 types of Aasimar in the drop-down box, seems the most logical :)

The DMG Aasimar are strictly worse than the subraces; IMO I think it's fine to replace them with the new version.

I've got Volo's and have been coding up the races there; they don't seem like they'll be too tricky. There's also a handful of beasts that qualify as druid and ranger companions.

Also, I bought it on DM's guild just as a thank you. :)

EDIT: is there a way to filter out options by sources? With AL requiring PHB + 1 it'd be nice to filter out illegal options.

tsotate

First Post
The problem with getting the spell slot checkboxes to look different for the Warlock slots than for the other slots is the sheer number of variability that would suddenly introduce. Currently the 'checkboxes' that you see appear are actually a picture that is loaded behind a couple of fields. There is a picture for 1, 2, 3, and 4 checkboxes, so 4 different images. Now think about how many pictures I would need if it need to accommodate every variety of 1 through 4 warlock/other spell slots, that is 14 images! This is not even considering the fact that the sheet would need extra blue-text fields to be able to set this, and a bunch of extra code to make this all work. After looking at this and the amount of times it will be a real issue I decided it was not worth the effort.

It seems like it would both be simpler and better fit the way the slots actually work to make Warlock slots an entirely separate column for them (so 1-9 and Pact) under "Spell Slots". That way you only need three images for it, and they're the images for 1-3 boxes which you already have anyway.

ETA: In practice, this is what I basically end up doing by hand on the printout by crossing out "9th" and drawing some boxes, since far more of my characters have spell slots and pact magic slots than will ever get 9th level spells.

pdegan2814

First Post
Just started building an Arcana Cleric using v12.4 of the redesigned Printer-Friendly sheet(freshly downloaded earlier today), and spotted what might be a bug. When I moved him up to Level 3, it added both Channel Dvinity options(Turn Undead and Arcane Abjuration) to the Class Features section on Page 2, but in the Actions box on Page 1 it only has "Channel Divinity: Turn Undead" listed. Are all the Domain-specific Channel Divinity options left out of that box, and if so is it on purpose? It was easy enough to write it in, but if it was supposed to be auto-populated I figured you should get a heads-up. Thanks again for all your amazing work on this sheet, rolling up a new character is SO much faster because of it!

The DMG Aasimar are strictly worse than the subraces; IMO I think it's fine to replace them with the new version.

I've got Volo's and have been coding up the races there; they don't seem like they'll be too tricky. There's also a handful of beasts that qualify as druid and ranger companions.

Also, I bought it on DM's guild just as a thank you. :)

EDIT: is there a way to filter out options by sources? With AL requiring PHB + 1 it'd be nice to filter out illegal options.
Thank you for donating! The races and beasts from VGM are in the new version, see below.

You can filter spells by source, but no other option can be filtered by source, you will just have to not select options that you are not allowed to use.

It seems like it would both be simpler and better fit the way the slots actually work to make Warlock slots an entirely separate column for them (so 1-9 and Pact) under "Spell Slots". That way you only need three images for it, and they're the images for 1-3 boxes which you already have anyway.

ETA: In practice, this is what I basically end up doing by hand on the printout by crossing out "9th" and drawing some boxes, since far more of my characters have spell slots and pact magic slots than will ever get 9th level spells.
The problem with a solution with that is that it is really only necessary for Warlock's that multiclass with other casting classes. The rest of the time the current solution works fine. I am not (yet) prepared to re-do all the spell slot code and add a bunch of fields for these outlying characters and the few people who are annoyed by the limiting spell slot section. Maybe if more people were asking for this option, but so far you are the only one (sorry!).

Just started building an Arcana Cleric using v12.4 of the redesigned Printer-Friendly sheet(freshly downloaded earlier today), and spotted what might be a bug. When I moved him up to Level 3, it added both Channel Dvinity options(Turn Undead and Arcane Abjuration) to the Class Features section on Page 2, but in the Actions box on Page 1 it only has "Channel Divinity: Turn Undead" listed. Are all the Domain-specific Channel Divinity options left out of that box, and if so is it on purpose? It was easy enough to write it in, but if it was supposed to be auto-populated I figured you should get a heads-up. Thanks again for all your amazing work on this sheet, rolling up a new character is SO much faster because of it!
You are absolutely right, the Acrana Domain's Channel Divinity was missing the code to add it to the action box, fixed now in the new version, see below.

Changelog for MPMB's Character Record Sheet v12.5 (7 November 2016):

• NEW FEATURE: Added all the player races from Volo’s Guide to Monsters: Aasimar, Bugbear, Goblin, Goliath, Hobgoblin, Kenku, Kobold, Lizardfolk, Orc, Tabaxi, Trition, Yuan-ti Pureblood, and corrected the Firbolg;
  • NEW FEATURE: Added all the beasts from Volo’s Guide to Monsters to be used on the companion and wild shape pages;
  • NEW FEATURE: Added the option to move equipment to and from the companion pages (as suggested by dougiefresh1233);
  • NEW FEATURE: Added the option to replace ‘Encumbrance’ and ‘Heavy Encumbrance’ with just the ‘Carrying Capacity’ (with the “Weight” button);
  • Corrected several minor (spelling) errors in spells, gear, feats, classes, and races;
  • Fixed an issue with the “LR” button hiding certain fields on the Printer Friendly versions;
  • Changed the way class features are sorted, making it possible to add custom code for subclasses with any number of features and still have them appear correctly on the sheet;
  • Fixed the Arcana Domain’s Channel Divinity not showing up in the actions section (thanks pdegan2814 for reporting).

Looking for the original Printer Friendly version with the artwork of the Wizards of the Coast official character sheet (Click here for the preview)?
Become a patron on Patreon, and you will get the Character Record Sheet, Spell Sheets per Class, and Adventure Logsheet with the WotC design!

Last edited:

chaosronin

Explorer
Not sure its intentional or not, but the variant Tiefling option Feral is not supposed to be mutually exclusive with the others; only Devil's Tongue, Hellfire and Winged are supposed to be mutually exclusive by Raw.

Its easily fixed by editing the Ability Scores manually but i thought i would mention it if its supposed to auto propagate.

Not sure its intentional or not, but the variant Tiefling option Feral is not supposed to be mutually exclusive with the others; only Devil's Tongue, Hellfire and Winged are supposed to be mutually exclusive by Raw.

Its easily fixed by editing the Ability Scores manually but i thought i would mention it if its supposed to auto propagate.
This has been asked a couple of times before. The short answer is that the code doesn't allow for this without a lot of redundancies, which I try to avoid. So you will have to manually change the ability score listing if you want a winged feral tiefling.

Need to add the Tressym to the Familiar list since it is a legal familiar from Storm King's Thunder.
Storm King's Thunder clearly states "With the DM's permission, a person who casts the find familiar spell can choose to conjure a tressym instead of a normal cat", so I don't feel comfortable as adding it as a default option. You can still select Tressym from the drop-down box and than use the menu to make it a familiar.

Astromath

First Post
Tried what you suggested (about the Tressym). The tressym is on the Ranger companion list.

Here's what I did:
Change drop down from Companion to Familiar.
Added Tressym from Ranger list.

Result:
Familiar changed back to Companion.
Calculated the wrong hit points (should be 5 hp, not 12 [3rd level Wizard, not 3rd level Ranger]).
Calculated the wrong Perception & Stealth. Should be +5 & +4, not +7 & +6.
Calculated the wrong AC. Should be 12, not 14.
Calculated the wrong attack & damage modifiers. Should be +0 to hit (not +2) and 1 point of damage (not 1 + 2).
It added the notes for a Ranger companion, not a Wizard's familiar.

Changing Companion back to Familiar did not fix the above results.

Because of the above result, I might as well add the tressym by hand from scratch. It would be better if the tressym was on the familiar list to avoid the above problem. Or, alternatively, when changing Companion back to Familiar would "reset" the tressym to the proper result.

Last edited:

Tried what you suggested (about the Tressym). The tressym is on the Ranger companion list.

Here's what I did:
Change drop down from Companion to Familiar.
Added Tressym from Ranger list.

Result:
Familiar changed back to Companion.
Calculated the wrong hit points (should be 5 hp, not 12 [3rd level Wizard, not 3rd level Ranger]).
Calculated the wrong Perception & Stealth. Should be +5 & +4, not +7 & +6.
Calculated the wrong AC. Should be 12, not 14.
Calculated the wrong attack & damage modifiers. Should be +0 to hit (not +2) and 1 point of damage (not 1 + 2).
It added the notes for a Ranger companion, not a Wizard's familiar.

Changing Companion back to Familiar did not fix the above results.

Because of the above result, I might as well add the tressym by hand from scratch. It would be better if the tressym was on the familiar list to avoid the above problem. Or, alternatively, when changing Companion back to Familiar would "reset" the tressym to the proper result.
I can't currently test this if it turns out correct, but the workflow that I suggest is this:

1. Select the tressym from the "race" drop-down box on the companion page (or just type in "tressym", it is probably faster.
2. Click on the "Companion Options" button and select "Change current creature" >> "Into a familiar (Find Familiar spell)".
3. ???
4. Profit!

Changing the drop-down on the top left does nothing but give you something different when you print. You can literally type anything into that field, it has no connection to the automation. Maybe you like calling your Ranger's Snow Leopard Animal Companion your "familiar", who am I to judge?

Astromath

First Post
That works! I wish it was more clear because I literally did not see that.

The only problem is that it doesn't add the claw attack and the Attacks per Action (at least for the tressym, did not check any others).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads