• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MT delayed?

EricNoah

Adventurer
The thought process I can't say, but the history has been laid out many times.

MT as it was initially envisioned was to be a tool for crafting adventures: encounters, individual NPCs, PCs, monsters, maps, traps, treasures, etc. Over the course of months that it has been in development, many changes in direction were made. By whom I don't know. Some of the things that happened were unforseen (i.e. Hasbro having rough financial times and axing Hasbro Interactive). The result, however, was that for a very long time the highest priority seems to have been placed on the isometric mapper and the monster "models" and sounds that would accompany that. Unfortunately, this ultimately turned out not to be the direction that Master Tools would take. Now the focus is simply on two main things: the character generator part, and the monster/race generator part. In addition, some kinds of customizers are in place. They do anywhere from a "barely adequate" job to a very complete job of allowing users to customize certain kinds of data.

At this point it appears that MT is at a "make or break" stage. It has to come out soon, which means it will initially have just a few of the "tools" that one might want. If the initial product is successful enough, Fluid will likely develop additional tools -- more customizers, more complete customizers, more data (things like in the class books, psi handbook, FR books). At this point the big question is ... will MT as it currently appears be "enough" to get people to open their wallets? I honestly don't know if it will be. I've never been good at guessing what people will like or what people will spend money on. I for one will certainly spend the dough on it, as even a buggy, half-done version has been extremely useful in my campaigns, but I do know full well it won't do everything I ever wanted. But then no program so far has.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
EricNoah said:
At this point the big question is ... will MT as it currently appears be "enough" to get people to open their wallets? I honestly don't know if it will be. I've never been good at guessing what people will like or what people will spend money on.

This is certainly the big question. Your favorable reviews of MT are the only reason I have any hope at all for it. I'll wait to see what others say when it comes out, and judge then.

I honestly don't think it'll be successful enough to merit more investment, but perhaps it will. I just hope WotC and Fluid don't lose much money on it... :(

EricNoah

Adventurer
Hmm, maybe it's time for a poll. Something like "how much would you be willing to spend on Master Tools"? It's certainly too late to really have the poll have much sway, and people are always going to say they'd rather have it for free.

Me, I'd easily spend as much as I'd spend on a typical computer game -- somewhere in the $40-50 range -- for the base MT as it currently stands (character generator, monster generator, race customizer, and the "no frills" customizers built in). I would hope that "small" add-ons would be somewhere in the $10-20 range, and large add-ons would be somewhere in the $30 range, and that I could have a pretty complete collection of goodies overall (class books, FR stuff, and psionics plus the core stuff and maybe an upgraded suite of customizers) for under $100. As much as I use the computer for doing my D&D stuff it would certainly be worth it.

gariig

First Post
It sounds like MT is turning into CC2(or CR2)...You buy one piece that does some good stuff, but to get the better stuff you will need to dish out additional cash. I can see getting all of the class books for $100 a good deal(you have a indexable, editable, printable version). However, I own all of those, the FRCS, MoF, LoD, etc. I don't want to dish out huge sums of money to have that information.

However, MT could be worth it if the databases are implemented in a descent fashion(allow hyperlinking and what not) and are editable for what Gariig wants to have. I hope MT delivers this, I liked CR2(with the expansion) and I just hope MT has enough customizability to make it useful.

Also, a good SDK would help sales, if some of the D20 electronic aid coders can make something to help it out, all the better.

In addition to MT, we still have Realmscrafters to rely on...

Gariig

Mynex

First Post
EricNoah said:
Me, I'd easily spend as much as I'd spend on a typical computer game -- somewhere in the $40-50 range -- for the base MT as it currently stands (character generator, monster generator, race customizer, and the "no frills" customizers built in). I would hope that "small" add-ons would be somewhere in the $10-20 range, and large add-ons would be somewhere in the $30 range, and that I could have a pretty complete collection of goodies overall (class books, FR stuff, and psionics plus the core stuff and maybe an upgraded suite of customizers) for under $100. As much as I use the computer for doing my D&D stuff it would certainly be worth it.

Hrmm... I can't let that one lie... sorry Eric. But MT as it currently stands, i wouldn't pay nearly that much. Small add-ons should be support for books (not nesc new tools) for 5$ (I mean come on, If I've paid 30$ for a comapaign setting, I shouldn't be forced to pay another 30$ for the capability of using it in the 'official' programs.

Major Releases (major Tool Additions) I can see maybe being 15-30$ depending on what kind of functionality we're talking about. But I'm not shelling out 300$ to get a software program that supports ALL the WotC products and delivers all the tools that were promised initially. That's just not cost effective for me personally, I'd rather buy books with that much. ;)

I'm not saying I won't buy MT, But I'll probably wait a bit before I do, to see what'll happen... I expect most of the features that people want, will be made by 3rd party Code Monkeys.

We'll see. Hopefully the input we BT give will help MT be a better 1st round product. All we can do is report the problems and make suggestions. It's up to WotC to decide whether to listen or not to the suggestions. *shrug*

smetzger

Explorer
EricNoah said:
Me, I'd easily spend as much as I'd spend on a typical computer game -- somewhere in the $40-50 range -- for the base MT as it currently stands (character generator, monster generator, race customizer, and the "no frills" customizers built in).

The only reason I would pay that much for a character and monster generator is because I am writing similar software and may want to interface with MT. Otherwise I would only spend $25-30.

I think MT is going to end up like Core Rules. Remember the first release of Core RUles? It blew chunks. The 2nd version was much better (although it still fell far short of what I am looking for).

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I guess a big question for me is if I can generate npc's quickly. If MT will let me do somthing like set up a band of 10 orc outlaws ranging from 1st to 5th levels, all using crossbows, my work as a DM would be greatly simplified.

EricNoah

Adventurer
No random generation (other than scores) of characters in MT. For a band of orcs, you'd have to make them by hand. It goes pretty quickly, probably the most time consuming would be giving them equipment.

Remove ads