Multiclassing...

Jackfrost

First Post
I have 6 books: the dm book, PHB, Swords and fists, oriental book, monster's mannual and the monsters of farun.

Its very odd to me because most of the books contradict each other. In the PHB, it says a monk cannot multiclass. Were in the oriental book it says you can?

It also changes some skills and spells around...

but back to the origanal question, what are restricions on multiclassing? Can i be anything and multiclass in to everything?

Crothian

First Post
The PHB limits it for flavor, there is no balance reason why monks (and Paladins) cannot multi class. It does say in OA that monks can multi class freely. Basically, talk to the DM and use whichever fits the campaign better.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Jackfrost said:
Its very odd to me because most of the books contradict each other. In the PHB, it says a monk cannot multiclass. Were in the oriental book it says you can?
Oriental Adventures, page 19, above the Ranger heading.

It also changes some skills and spells around...
I'd like to think the Western Monks tries to copy from the old Eastern Monks, with what little knowledge stolen from them and brought over to the Western society.

but back to the origanal question, what are restricions on multiclassing? Can i be anything and multiclass in to everything?
If you referring to OA monk, you can freely multiclass. If you are referring to PH monk and paladin, you can multiclass into them, but if you take one level of another class, then you cannot go back and advance the monk or paladin class. It's a flavor thing that I enforce. If you go astray from your calling, then you are not as devoted as you were.

Trellian

Explorer
Some monks in Forgotten Realms may multi-class freely between monk and one other class (often paladin or cleric). It all depends on what monastic order you belong to. I suppose you're still as devoted to your monastic order even with a level or two in paladin, when paladins also are supported by the monastery.

Remove ads