• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mummy:the Curse

GogoPartDeux

First Post
Heard about this place from the White Wolf boards. So I figured I would give a heads up on a game that might not be on people's radars. Namely the next New World of Darkness release Mummy:the Curse. The line developer has had a blog up for a number of months detailing some information about the game, including a recent post before the Kickstart is finalized. So here is a handy link to that in case some folks want to check it out and see if they are interested.

Mummy: The Curse | Just another White Wolf Blogs site

Crothian

First Post
This is the only new World of Darkness game I don't have. I think they had copies at Gen con but I really didn't notice. What is it like? How does it differ from the old Mummy game that I thought was pretty cool. How easily can it be combined with their other games mainly my favorite Changeling the Lost? Who wrote it?

GogoPartDeux

First Post
This is the only new World of Darkness game I don't have. I think they had copies at Gen con but I really didn't notice. What is it like? How does it differ from the old Mummy game that I thought was pretty cool. How easily can it be combined with their other games mainly my favorite Changeling the Lost? Who wrote it?

I could drop some stuff but honestly I'd just be repeating the blog entry information. Posting from work so once I'm back home I'll add some info. On Changeling the line developer and writers like DaveB have said it's pretty self contained so it's only assumption is that essentially people,ghosts,etc exist. I also have a link here in a sec that is audio with a slide of the artwork from Mummy. It's audio from a Mummy panel with more spoilers.

Edit:I have to double check but I'm pretty sure the Power Stat was spoiled as Sekhem.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO6McqHedGg"]Mummy: The Curse - GenCon 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

I will mention they are very very different than OWoD mummies, who were very very tied into the CWoD metaplot. All of the main PC's, the Arisen come from a proto-Egyptian empire whose name and deeds are lost to history. CAS goes more into that on the audio. Each PC is around 6-7 thousand years old. I will mention also since it was not explicitly in the audio. Each of the Arisen when they rise start out at Power Stat(Sekhem) 10 and it goes down as time passes.

Last edited:

GogoPartDeux

First Post

Since I didn't answer those questions I could yet. The line developer is Colin A. Suleiman. DaveB whose exact name I don't remember off hand who write material for Mage:the Awakening is a writer including the storytelling section. Malcolm Sheppard from Exalted and other material is a writer. I know Gregg Stolze write some bits of the chapter fiction at least.

The game was when it was originally conceptualized up to some point set for a release for this last August's GenCon. The GenCon panel, if you haven't listened to it yet, was set on a September release. A few delays including a break in at the house of someone doing layout created some set backs. Currently the only thing left is finalizing the Deluxe edition Kickstart. They are also shifting up the usual time table on pdf releases and Kickstarts. So the pdf will be available the same time the Kickstart beings going on current info.

Some of the early info involved saying gothic pulp involving ancient sorcerers plotting. But again, I wouldn't do as good of a job as the blog and the GenCon audio will do.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
White Wolf is not making it easy for someone to get the basic rundown on this game. Everywhere I've looked it's been "read this 20 page thread" or "listen to this 10 minutes of audio."

GogoPartDeux

First Post
White Wolf is not making it easy for someone to get the basic rundown on this game. Everywhere I've looked it's been "read this 20 page thread" or "listen to this 10 minutes of audio."

There are one, and only one primary area for Mummy spoilers, and it's not a forum so thread does not apply. It's the whitewolfblogs.com/mummy page and each entry is short. The only relevant audio is from the Mummy panel at GenCon and while it spoils a few things not in the blog it's entirely optional. So I'd be pretty unsympathetic to that commentary. If someone is not interested in something, ok sure, no problem. If someone IS well the information is there to be had.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yeah, it's completely unreasonable of me to expect WWGS to do things the way all other merchants do -- by actually explaining what their product is about in an easy-to-find-and-digest fashion.

GogoPartDeux

First Post
Yeah, it's completely unreasonable of me to expect WWGS to do things the way all other merchants do -- by actually explaining what their product is about in an easy-to-find-and-digest fashion.

Then complain to CCP(the original EVE online end that's across the Atlantic side) because it's currently their fault that the main White-Wolf website has not been updated. As is there is a Mummy forum quite visible on the forums page of the White Wolf forums index. Not hard to fix.There was also a schedule that goes into next year posted for QUITE some time on the theonyxpath.com website that has the standard short blurb of what X is listing. Anything beyond that related to blog spoilers was to why the information is not available has been explained in an earlier post.

As that applies to Mummy. A link to the correct blog was made available in the first post.

Last edited:

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Then complain to CCP(the original EVE online end that's across the Atlantic side) because it's currently their fault that the main White-Wolf website has not been updated.
So what's that about then? Not complaining, inquiring. Trying to get information about the whole corporate situation seems to be pretty damn hard.

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
I read through the development blog. Mummies are called Arisen. They were created in pre-history in the most powerful magic ever worked by mortals. Their spirit is forever bound to their physical body.

The big theme is Memory. People weren't designed to live for 6,000 years. It looks like Memory will be like Humanity for Vampires.

Mummies can do magic, of course. It's not like magic is Mage, or even really in Vampire or other games. It requires specific rituals, and also the spell is etched into your being. The spells are more like explicit acts of God than the subtle magic of the other PC races. Magic is powered by magical energy that accumulates in historical objects.

One cool component is lesser magic that you learn on the fly. It looks like it's still specific "spells" but you can buy them during play. And once bought you have them forever.

The game has five pillars related to the five core ancient Egyptian components to a person: heart, spirit, name, essence, and shadow. These pillars will be worked into the system in a way that doesn't mirror a pre-existing game, which to me sounds cool (but I always like the really old oWoD mummies that were their own system).

Each Mummy has a Decree, which is like a Clan or Tribe. It associates them with one of the five pillars.

PCs start out more powerful. You arise from the dead at the height of your power, and you can start with a cult to do your bidding.

There's a separate GM's book that has details on the setting's history the players aren't supposed to read. Part of the game is learning more about that past and in the process gaining power (I think).

Mummies organize themselves into Guilds to teach each other magic and other Mummy stuff.

That's everything I got out of the blog. To be honest, it sounds cool and I think I want to run it.

Remove ads