Mummy:the Curse

GogoPartDeux

First Post
A few bits of clarification.

"Arisen" is a the main PC type of mummies but are not all mummies, though all are known as the Deathess.

Utterances are your acts of deities big nasty stuff. Affinities are subtle sorts of magic.

Instead of the standard two part Character Creation, Mummies have three. The third might be the construction of your Cult but not sure just yet.

One of the ways Colin described them at GenCon was the photo negative of a vampire. Long periods of death punctuated by short bursts of activity. Currently the known was an Arisen can rise up is...your tomb being disturbed(though it's not sure if this only means if the object you are guarding is disturbed or the tomb at all), your Cult rising you up for some business, or a Sothic cycle. Based on some bits of Egyptian myth/astrology it happens every 1400 years in Mummy. When it's a cycle ALL Deathless wake up and are up for longer than normal. One of the last books in the run wil deal with these cycles and playing in the five cycles that have happened.

All of the Deathless come from a proto-Egyptian empire. Sometime in roughly the stone age a great empire rose up based out of the city of Pillars aka Iram. Colin has not gone much into them as a lot of their secrets are part of the ST section. We know they had powerful magic others did not, including the Rite of Return that makes the Deathless, described as the mightiest magic ever performed by mortals. It's also known that Iram had bronze long long before anyone else. In addition they created cursed magical artifacts used to help maintain it's vast empire. Those items seem to play a part in the purpose of the sorcerer kings of Iram making the Deathless. In the last blog post Colin reads the story of one mask being stolen and the Nubian Deathless rising up, assisted by his Inuit Cult in recovering it. The Guilds were all part of some of the rulership and maintaining of the Empire and each controlled a part of the knowledge necessary for the rite. Both Iram and the magic of the Return are now gone. How and why isn't currently known.

GogoPartDeux

First Post
From the ad in the back of Mage:the Awakenings Left-Handed Path book just recently released.

When you trespass, the reason you feel you are being watched is because you are.
THE FEAR IS REAL
When you steal, the dread that comes over you is neither guilt nor paranoia, but the cold certitude of fate.
THE CURSE IS REAL
When you die, know that your life was but a flash upon the face of the deep in the mind of your judge.
WE ARE REAL AND WE ARE ARISEN.
-Ankh-Nephris, the Hand of Wisdom.

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
Agreeing with Whizbang!
I am interested in this game, but White Wolf/Onyx Path is not doing much in the way of Promotion. There is an alleged Kickstarter in the works for the Deluxe Edition, which should mean that PDF and PoD editions will drop soon as well.
These were not on sale at Gencon...what they had were the older Mummy books, but really no promotion for the new line, in fact, they seemed embarrassed because it should have been a Gencon deut.
My view is that White Wolf/Onyx Path listens to the fanboys, but when they get any piece of critical feedback where people are unhappy (and often trying to suggest how to fix it), they bury their heads in the sand (Case & point: see how the V20 Deluxe Companion was handled).
So I guess their philosophy is that if I browse enough, eventually I will run across their product. If it isnt a stellar success, then that wasnt their fault in the slightest.

And yes, I've emailed Rich at Onyx Path = no response AND posted to the White Wolf boards and "magically" my post never appeared (has to be checked by a moderator first, and I was critical, but did not drop any F-bombs).

GogoPartDeux

First Post
Agreeing with Whizbang!
I am interested in this game, but White Wolf/Onyx Path is not doing much in the way of Promotion. There is an alleged Kickstarter in the works for the Deluxe Edition, which should mean that PDF and PoD editions will drop soon as well.
These were not on sale at Gencon...what they had were the older Mummy books, but really no promotion for the new line, in fact, they seemed embarrassed because it should have been a Gencon deut.
My view is that White Wolf/Onyx Path listens to the fanboys, but when they get any piece of critical feedback where people are unhappy (and often trying to suggest how to fix it), they bury their heads in the sand (Case & point: see how the V20 Deluxe Companion was handled).
So I guess their philosophy is that if I browse enough, eventually I will run across their product. If it isnt a stellar success, then that wasnt their fault in the slightest.

And yes, I've emailed Rich at Onyx Path = no response AND posted to the White Wolf boards and "magically" my post never appeared (has to be checked by a moderator first, and I was critical, but did not drop any F-bombs).

They really DO need to do more promotion. Though note It's not OPP/White Wolf. They're separate entities. The original plan was GenCon but it was more an estimate and the whole new digital model they say as much on their releases. Though really that needs to get better at that.

Also, posts on the WW forums doesn't have to be checked by a mod first. So either you're mistaken over which forum you actually posted at, or you're lying.

Almacov

First Post
The Mummy:the Curse Kickstart is live!

Just so that folks here are aware - this kickstarter is wrapping up, with less than a day to go.

Since its initial goal, there have been a great selection of stretch goals added on (and more to come, theoretically, if things keep going), including a bunch of upgrades to the physical book (silk bookmark, gilt-edged pages, and an embossed cover), and a number of new .pdf books that anyone pledged for the core book (and in some cases even those who have pledged less) now gets as part of the package.

If anyone's interested in the game, I'd say now's the time to kick in for a copy.
Here's a link to the page, in any case.

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
@ GogoPartDeux
Not lying, and really dont appreciate the insinuation.
It was in the White Wolf forum, specifically where someone had leveled some concerns about the V20 Companion and they were being brushed off.

Correction: I looked into it and got this response:
You V20 Companion post was moved to the commentary thread from the delivered thread. It was not deleted

Thats a wonderful notice that my reply was moved to where I cant find it -

Yet this shows I was not lying, I posted and my post disappeared (was moved by a moderator, which I was informed of later).

Last edited:

As with all NWOD books, I really don't see any need to re-do the OWOD stuff. OWOD was much more mature and interesting, particularly when it came to the MAGE line. NWOD was a bad attempt to do the same thing WotC tried to do with 4e, which turned out equally bad.

Remove ads