D&D 5E Mundane Items: What do you do for starting gear?

I recently had a quick play through the village of Homlet which starts the players off at LV 1. The DM allowed us only to take the items which were given to us in the PHB via our class and ones we could afford using the gold granted to us by our backgrounds. This lead to us scrounging every Copper peice to equip ourselves with mundane items. It was alot of fun and has lead me to have a better appreciation for the utility of basic equipment.

In stark contrast, our regular game at the moment is Against the Giants (the original not the TftYP version). When we began this game at 8th or 9th lv, we each were given two uncommen potions, one rare potion and one uncommon item which wasn't a +x weapon or armor. Though this is great, between starting off strong and in general the monty haul of loot you receive throughout the giant series, you really loose appriciation for some of the simple things in the game.

I plan to run a campaign in wich the players start at 3rd lv. My question is does anyone have any good suggestions or systems they use for starting gear which balances the two extremes above? Would 1000gp plus what ever is granted to you through your background (not class) be fair for each character to equip themselves.

Secondly does anyone have a list of mundane items which goes beyond what's in the PHB they could share?

Last edited:

Shiroiken

Legend
I suggest that characters lower than level 3 either roll or take average (DM's choice). Once you hit level 3, I'd suggest maximizing the die roll, but otherwise leaving it the same. I never advise adding in magic items, because 5E is balanced without them. Giving too much wealth makes the better armors easier to get, which makes the game easier (and doesn't allow for appreciation for earning it).

Ed Laprade

First Post
5E is pretty good about providing basic equipment for low level characters. At level three I'd just let them take whatever they wanted, excluding the more expensive armors. And maybe making a list of several magic items for them to haggle over who gets what (including several healing potions).

The DMG has rules for advanced start gold and equipment that are pretty solid.

For mundane items, the 2e Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue is a great resource. I still routinely refer to the thing, all these years later.

For my part, I’d recommend against providing magic items. In my experience, they come to take them for granted, and it makes magic items a little less…magical.

Bupp

Adventurer
I often start groups at 3rd level. When I do, I just give them the starting equipment like you mentioned.

If I start characters off at a higher level, I'll roll on the treasure tables in the DMG. Usually one level appropriate hoard to split among the party, and some individual treasure as well.

3rd level? I'd just give them the starting info and maybe 100gp worth of equipment or improved weapons or armor. They really don't need more than that.

Remove ads