D&D 5E Murder at Balder's Gate beyond the adventure

Twizz Stonefist

First Post
Continuing the campaign beyond the adventure. For my female Elven wizard doing an Elven ball type event. What major events would elves chat about besides what recently happened in the city. My campaign year is 1479 DR.

Got an Halfing rogue becoming part of the Guild. There is a Dwarven priest building a temple to Dumathoin. A former Feywild nobility gnome druid. Monk bounty hunter who wants to perfect a weapon fighting style. One party member is about to receive an inheritance from his dead Dwarven uncle. A Third dwarf is running a brewery. And about to open a weapons shop.

Starting to work on plots with the Knights of the shield. Have to figure out what the Illithid was up to. 3 of the 4 dukes have been replaced at this point. Soon will have to replace a total of 2 dukes when my players remove Ravenguard. Players about to confront rilsa. Have to tie up the gunpowder plot. Players have already killed silvershield. Skoond is moving forward with the gunpowder plot without him.

After the module events finish. What future city events would you suggest.? Think one player will run for duke. Wanted to lead the players out of town after another 3 or 4 sessions. Has anyone else continued a Baldur's Gate campaign past the module?

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I haven't run the adventure but I have given some thought to how it might be expanded.

In the City

I think The Undercellar, as featured in Rats in the Undercellar from Dungeon 217, is really ripe for expansion, particularly in connection with your extant plots relating to the Guild and the Knights of the Shield.

The Living Forgotten Realms adventures for Baldur's Gate also have some worthwhile ideas.

Outside the City

Dwarves and elves? Go north, young man, and explore the remnants of Illefarn. I would suggest grabbing the rather good Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle and running with that. The region is ripe with adventure hooks relating to dwarves and elves (and Eric L Boyd provides a dozen or so pieces of lore for free here that can be used to inspire further adventures)... and you could replace make the diabolic BBEG a part of the Knights of the Shield if you wanted to carry that plotline further. (I definitely would. It would also tie in nicely to a homemade adventure in the ruins of Dragonspear Castle should you wish to extend the campaign even further.)

Ghosts has a nice regional hex map that you could simply populate yourself for an old-fashioned hexcrawl.

This month's Dungeon has an adventure set in Elturgard which is the nation to the east of Baldur's Gate. I'm really hoping it comes with an excellent regional map - so I don't have to keep using the tonne of suck that came with the 4E Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide - and that could really help you to expand a campaign to the east should that take your fancy. Unfortunately I suspect it will be another three or so weeks before we see this month's issue of Dungeon.

Remove ads