Mutant World Ideas (Earth Map)

Zardnaar

Legend
Brewing up an idea for mutant world set on the Earth map. Most races are available to play but only a few are *core" the rest are mutants and will be semi unique.

Basically its post apocalyptic after the desecration wars and the gods are dead. Clerics exist and they get their spells from left over God juice.

Eurasia was where most of the desecration wars were fought. It's scoured by warp storms originating from the Birthplace located at what's now Ukraine (Chernobyl).

Humans are not the dominant race mist died in the Desecration Wars. A few colonies in Caribbean survived and sub saharan Africa. SEA is also probably "safe". Otherwise places like UK, Greece, Southern Iberia and Scandinavia are other pockets.

So what races should I use as core? Its post Tasha's so the more powerful ones will likely be chosen.

Core races (need around 12)

Humans
Halflings
Elves
Dwarves
Yuan Ti
The Warped (Simic Hybrids Ravnica).

Strong contenders

Satyrs
Aasimar
Tieflings

Drow don't exist as such at least D&D style and will be unavailable.

World gimmicks.

Warp storms
Dead magic zones
Wild Magic

Wild Magic sorcerer's will have their chaos ability recharge roughly 50% of the time.

It's for a somewhat mature group. Backstory can include things like genocide a'la Darksun. Not currently ongoing distant past. Mutants combined outnumber everyone else. Closer you get to the Birthplace the more common they are. Some villain groups done like mutants.

Inspiration

Dark Sun
Fallout 4 (rad storms)
Assassin's Creed
Elric
Riftwar Saga (Raymond E Feist)

So fine members of ENworld any ideas? Brainstorming R16/18 is fine up to about the 3.0 Book of Vile Darkness where I might steal the halfling ideas.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
Hopefully this reply will go with when it's moved over.

What's the history to this setting? Are we starting from real-world Earth with all the magic and fantasy races arising from the apocalyptic wars? Or are we starting from standard-generic-D&D-world, just using Earth geography?

Zardnaar

Legend
Hopefully this reply will go with when it's moved over.

What's the history to this setting? Are we starting from real-world Earth with all the magic and fantasy races arising from the apocalyptic wars? Or are we starting from standard-generic-D&D-world, just using Earth geography?

Just Earth map might not even be that. Mostly just an idea for next campaign at this point or to expand the current campaign for high level play (currently 7 they're in the caribbean.

Basically a precursor civilization the "Isu" create a multi planet empire. The Dragonlords fought the gods in a war if mutual destruction. They created various races and dragons in the Birthplace something like Darkuns Pristine Tower.

Surviving Isu bio monsters plus fallout wiped out most of what was left.

The Birthplace melted down and spits out warp storms. Seems to effect elves hard they avoid continental eurasia like the plague.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Satyrs (what is the name of the pseudo-Greek-myths setting book?) are in an area that is hard for outsiders to get into / out of - except by sea.

Ryujin

Legend
I'd probably throw Thri-Kreen into the mix of dominant races. Insects tend to survive pretty darned well, when it comes to the odd apocalyptic event.

If population distribution and choice of primary targets for attack is anything like modern Earth, then I'd say that New Zealand is likely to survive largely intact. If you've ever read the novel "The Chrysalids", by John Wyndam, the references to "Sealand" are New Zealand.

Zardnaar

Legend
Satyrs (what is the name of the pseudo-Greek-myths setting book?) are in an area that is hard for outsiders to get into / out of - except by sea.

Probably be in Greece away from the coast. Thinking the Med will be a Sahuagin infested pond with run off from the Birthplace.

Not Greeks exist but will probably be in Sparta region and interior Peleponese.

Sahuagin probably strip mined the coast perhaps not Egypt only place that has defeated them.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Probably be in Greece away from the coast. Thinking the Med will be a Sahuagin infested pond with run off from the Birthplace.

Not Greeks exist but will probably be in Sparta region and interior Peleponese.

Sahuagin probably strip mined the coast perhaps not Egypt only place that has defeated them.
You might edit the map a little: Gibraltar is a narrow ithmus not a strait and you can see a Niagara-like flow of salt water from the Med into the Atlantic. Gives you a reason the Sahaguin are not world-wide: not gonna extreme-sports that dive!

Zardnaar

Legend
You might edit the map a little: Gibraltar is a narrow ithmus not a strait and you can see a Niagara-like flow of salt water from the Med into the Atlantic. Gives you a reason the Sahaguin are not world-wide: not gonna extreme-sports that dive!

Well the Atlantic is really deep and stormy. Or some other power holds reign there.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'd probably throw Thri-Kreen into the mix of dominant races. Insects tend to survive pretty darned well, when it comes to the odd apocalyptic event.

If population distribution and choice of primary targets for attack is anything like modern Earth, then I'd say that New Zealand is likely to survive largely intact. If you've ever read the novel "The Chrysalids", by John Wyndam, the references to "Sealand" are New Zealand.

Not familiar with it. Links to a wiki or quick run down if the basic idea are fine. It's why I'm asking for advice;).

I know a thing or two about NZ. It's some pointless country somewhere iirc. Movie land right?

Remove ads