Mutant World Ideas (Earth Map)

Ryujin

Legend
Not familiar with it. Links to a wiki or quick run down if the basic idea are fine. It's why I'm asking for advice;).

I know a thing or two about NZ. It's some pointless country somewhere iirc. Movie land right?
The Wikipedia article on it is fairly good. Essentially it's a post nuclear war world in which the human village in the story casts out anyone who is not 'perfect' (ie. mutants) but several of the children have developed the non-obvious mutation of telepathy, to greater or lesser degrees.

Wyndham also wrote "Day of the Triffids", which has had several movie adaptations.

Zardnaar

Legend
The Wikipedia article on it is fairly good. Essentially it's a post nuclear war world in which the human village in the story casts out anyone who is not 'perfect' (ie. mutants) but several of the children have developed the non-obvious mutation of telepathy, to greater or lesser degrees.

Wyndham also wrote "Day of the Triffids", which has had several movie adaptations.

Mutants probably be in majority in Eurasia.

There is a group that's currently human supremists I'll either go with that or make them anti mutant instead of pro human.

They're one of the main villains but easily ignored as they don't have the numbers. Think Teutonic Knights. They're in Puerto Rico or off shore island like crete or Madeira.

Ryujin

Legend
Mutants probably be in majority in Eurasia.

There is a group that's currently human supremists I'll either go with that or make them anti mutant instead of pro human.

They're one of the main villains but easily ignored as they don't have the numbers. Think Teutonic Knights. They're in Puerto Rico or off shore island like crete or Madeira.
So like the Knights of Genetic Purity in Gamma World, or the Genites (aka also The Knights of Genetic Purity) in the TV show "Andromeda."

Zardnaar

Legend
So like the Knights of Genetic Purity in Gamma World, or the Genites (aka also The Knights of Genetic Purity) in the TV show "Andromeda."

Not sure in the refence. Knights of Vanya from Mystara turned up to 11 and a side helping of Teutonic Knights, infernal influence. Their capital is Kriegsburg.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Not sure in the refence. Knights of Vanya from Mystara turned up to 11 and a side helping of Teutonic Knights, infernal influence. Their capital is Kriegsburg.

Zardnaar

Legend

Yeh similar idea. IDK if they're human supremists (current batch), anti mutant or how prominent they are. Still thinking that part out so open for suggestions.

Ryujin

Legend
Yeh similar idea. IDK if they're human supremists (current batch), anti mutant or how prominent they are. Still thinking that part out so open for suggestions.
Depends upon how radical you want then to be and how far you want to push it. In the "Andromeda" universe most humans have some form of genetic editing done whether it's to provide resistance to disease, allow life in a hostile environment (high gravity world, etc.), or to correct genetic disease. The Genites, in that universe, are absolute fanatics and want to end anyone with such 'defects.'

So how radical are their ideals? does it take an extra limb or a sixth tow before they come down on you, or would something as simple as heterochromia (variations in eye pigmentation) set them off? For example I have centre heterochromia, from birth. In my case that means I have blue eyes, except for a small circle around the pupil that is green. Would that "mutation" set off your group's mutant radar, or am I still human? That's probably the sort of question you have to answer for yourself.

Zardnaar

Legend
Depends upon how radical you want then to be and how far you want to push it. In the "Andromeda" universe most humans have some form of genetic editing done whether it's to provide resistance to disease, allow life in a hostile environment (high gravity world, etc.), or to correct genetic disease. The Genites, in that universe, are absolute fanatics and want to end anyone with such 'defects.'

So how radical are their ideals? does it take an extra limb or a sixth tow before they come down on you, or would something as simple as heterochromia (variations in eye pigmentation) set them off? For example I have centre heterochromia, from birth. In my case that means I have blue eyes, except for a small circle around the pupil that is green. Would that "mutation" set off your group's mutant radar, or am I still human? That's probably the sort of question you have to answer for yourself.

Basically the default races are monies, everything else mutants.

I haven't decided what those races are, see OP.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I often delve into designing post apocalyptic fantasy campaign worlds. Some of the ideas from those can be found in the ”Campaigns” link in my sig, and included:

1. no half races at all, or at least, none based on cross breeding with other standard races. However, I redrafted all the “Plantouched” as a template for beings with ancestry including otherplanar beings. These, I called Nephilim.
  2. I had an idea to use Warforged as Gnome-tech mecha (the Juggernaught ones, at least), but revised them to be The Inheritors- Warforged who are basically fantasy versions of the Cybermen & Daleks. The brains within them are from psionically active Dwarves (who constructed them for another psionically race who were wiped out before they had the chance to accept the devices they commissioned). Culturally, they’re fully Dwarven, with the same stonecunning and anti-giant animus & fighting techniques. But physically, they’re Warforged, albeit with darkvision.
  3. Something a bit more outside of the box: instead of the usual suspects for a "D&D" dungeon-making race- Drow, Dwarves, Duregar, etc.- use the Seshayans from D20 Future, p218-219 (translated from Alternaty: Star*Drive). With their alien forms (bat-wings, multiple eyes)* and sonar-based blind-fighting, etc., they're visually perfect for a real “boogeyman” race that rose up out of the Underdark, dominated the world, and whose civilization then collapsed, so that they are now a "degenerate" race. I used them as the unknowing and scattered remnants of the fallen lords of a vast and powerful Underdark empire. They are mostly meek as a rule because of their small size, stature and outsider status. They've fallen so far that now they inhabit the caves and caverns associated with major cities, or near trade routes...Until one of them found a statue of one of the early Seshayan emperors...then they realized how far they have fallen, and go in a rampages to get it all back.
  4. In a time when it seemed the world was dying, I had a druid cast Awaken on an aspen tree. What he didn’t realize was that aspen are a colonial species, and he had effectively made an entire forest become sentient. The trained the aspen in the Druidic tradition, and when he passed, the aspen cast awaken on other trees and animals within its reach. Those were not generally playable, per se, but were instead used as a hidden “empire” with spies virtually everywhere.
  5. Similarly, I posited using an Awakened deep-sea coral with Psionic or magical powers as an analog to an aquatic Illithid Elder Brain. Perfect as a BBEG hidden within one of the aquatic civilizations. Possibly holding the nominal ruler as its thrall...

Beyond that? Drawing inspiration from the novels of Kurt R.A. Giambastani, I used the Plains Indian cultures to help a fellow ENWorlder create a tribe that used moas and/or other large flightless terror-birds instead of horses & dogs as steeds and hunting animals. Almost used velociraptors (like Giambastani did), but thought the birds were more fun. That could work for almost any surface dwelling species with lots of land but possibly lacking the full suite of technology lost during the war.

* For those who haven't a clue as to what Seshayans are:

View attachment 65509
1614061867495.jpeg

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
I often delve into designing post apocalyptic fantasy campaign worlds. Some of the ideas from those can be found in the ”Campaigns” link in my sig, and included:

1. no half races at all, or at least, none based on cross breeding with other standard races. However, I redrafted all the “Plantouched” as a template for beings with ancestry including otherplanar beings. These, I called Nephilim.
  2. I had an idea to use Warforged as Gnome-tech mecha (the Juggernaught ones, at least), but revised them to be The Inheritors- Warforged who are basically fantasy versions of the Cybermen & Daleks. The brains within them are from psionically active Dwarves (who constructed them for another psionically race who were wiped out before they had the chance to accept the devices they commissioned). Culturally, they’re fully Dwarven, with the same stonecunning and anti-giant animus & fighting techniques. But physically, they’re Warforged, albeit with darkvision.
  3. Something a bit more outside of the box: instead of the usual suspects for a "D&D" dungeon-making race- Drow, Dwarves, Duregar, etc.- use the Seshayans from D20 Future, p218-219 (translated from Alternaty: Star*Drive). With their alien forms (bat-wings, multiple eyes)* and sonar-based blind-fighting, etc., they're visually perfect for a real “boogeyman” race that rose up out of the Underdark, dominated the world, and whose civilization then collapsed, so that they are now a "degenerate" race. I used them as the unknowing and scattered remnants of the fallen lords of a vast and powerful Underdark empire. They are mostly meek as a rule because of their small size, stature and outsider status. They've fallen so far that now they inhabit the caves and caverns associated with major cities, or near trade routes...Until one of them found a statue of one of the early Seshayan emperors...then they realized how far they have fallen, and go in a rampages to get it all back.
  4. In a time when it seemed the world was dying, I had a druid cast Awaken on an aspen tree. What he didn’t realize was that aspen are a colonial species, and he had effectively made an entire forest become sentient. The trained the aspen in the Druidic tradition, and when he passed, the aspen cast awaken on other trees and animals within its reach. Those were not generally playable, per se, but were instead used as a hidden “empire” with spies virtually everywhere.
  5. Similarly, I posited using an Awakened deep-sea coral with Psionic or magical powers as an analog to an aquatic Illithid Elder Brain. Perfect as a BBEG hidden within one of the aquatic civilizations. Possibly holding the nominal ruler as its thrall...

Beyond that? Drawing inspiration from the novels of Kurt R.A. Giambastani, I used the Plains Indian cultures to help a fellow ENWorlder create a tribe that used moas and/or other large flightless terror-birds instead of horses & dogs as steeds and hunting animals. Almost used velociraptors (like Giambastani did), but thought the birds were more fun. That could work for almost any surface dwelling species with lots of land but possibly lacking the full suite of technology lost during the war.

* For those who haven't a clue as to what Seshayans are:

View attachment 65509
View attachment 133168

I don't know much about them but I know what they are and where they're from. Old dragon magazine late 90's.

No half races not a bad idea. Using them at the moment and the villain can magically render them into separate parts. Yuan Ti biomancers.

Generally don't base things in el cultures unless they're extinct eg Egypt/Greece/Rome etc.

Remove ads