mutants and masterminds, damage recovery, and power level.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
I had a question about m&m.

do con and regeneration stack to give you a higher score then the campins power level in a damage recovery check?

Last edited:

Conceivably, yes. Regeneration and the Recovery Check aren't limited by campaign PL. Though having a modifier higher than +10 doesn't do you any good, as you'll automatically recover with such a modifier.

-TRRW

Moon-Lancer said:
in this campaign we are starting at CL 5, so having a +8 is pritty cool.
Indeed it is, especially if you've purchased quicker recovery times for the various damage levels.

A +9 to recovery and being able to recover from bruised, injured or unconscious w/o requiring an action (i.e. almost immediately) is really good for making cocky players go "okay, Plan A is a wash, now what do we do?" :]

As a general rule of thumb, unless it says otherwise, powers aren't limited to your Power Level. I think I recall Steve Kenson saying you could buy ranks of offensive or defensive powers in excess of what your Power Level would allow, but you wouldn't get the benefits.

So for PL 5 game, you could in theory by a Blast 8 effect and have a +5 attack bonus, but you'd be restricted to only using it as Blast 5.

I remember this came up with either MDSnowman or BARON's Captain America build, where Cap had excess points of the Shield power so that he could All-Out Attack but not suffer any actual penalty to his Defense. That one was ruled a no-no.

Last edited:

Bretbo

First Post
Donovan Morningfire said:
So for PL 5 game, you could in theory by a Blast 8 effect and have a +5 attack bonus, but you'd be restricted to only using it as Blast 5.

This becomes more of an issue with Alternate Powers. Lets say in a PL10 game you had a 4pp/rank power at +10 (40pp total cost). You wanted to add a 2pp/rank attack power as an Alternate Power. Without the cap to attack powers, you would have a +20 attack bonus; but given the power cap rule its' rank is "cut off" at +10, which is still really cheap for 1pp cost of an Alternate Power buy.

Not sure if this helps the conversation; I like to be helpful. :)

Ben Robbins

First Post
Donovan Morningfire said:
I think I recall Steve Kenson saying you could buy ranks of offensive or defensive powers in excess of what your Power Level would allow, but you wouldn't get the benefits.

Other way around: you can't buy over the limit even if you don't use it. PL caps limit what you buy, not what you use.

The FAQ has a note about it, including the obligatory "but the GM has the final say"

Gilwen

Explorer
Ben Robbins said:
Other way around: you can't buy over the limit even if you don't use it. PL caps limit what you buy, not what you use.

The FAQ has a note about it, including the obligatory "but the GM has the final say"

One notable exception in the official rules thread is powers like Telekinesis that don't normally have a save so aren't affected by the PL limit. Normally TK doesn't have a save but you can buy the damaging extra, the ruling allows you to by TK 20 still but you can't apply more than the PL limit when using it for damaing effects.

Gil

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases